Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Do I Listen? (tried a Toyota Aygo automatic)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What is the reason that standard transmissions have become so strongly associated with masculinity? Were automatics originally marketed targeting women or something (who were clearly too incompetent to learn how to shift)?

Question: How do you know if someone drives stick?
    Answer: They'll tell you.

Lol, no hate or anything (do what makes you happy!), but Goddamn just mentioning standard transmissions causes dudes to suddenly appear out of the woodwork and instinctively gather around, readying themselves for the mandatory circle jerk.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I were you and lived where you do, I would own a GR Yaris... What a lovely bit of kit that is.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    What is the reason that standard transmissions have become so strongly associated with masculinity? Were automatics originally marketed targeting women or something (who were clearly too incompetent to learn how to shift)?

Oh oh, where can I go with this?
    I know, I used to be a driving instructor and the in house joke was Never Mention Females & Reverse Gear in the same sentence
    But truthfully the best pupil I ever had was female, so calm, so confident, so pretty (oops, I've gone again) and so competent.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-19-2021),Fummins (03-19-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Oh oh, where can I go with this?
    I know, I used to be a driving instructor and the in house joke was Never Mention Females & Reverse Gear in the same sentence
    But truthfully the best pupil I ever had was female, so calm, so confident, so pretty (oops, I've gone again) and so competent.
    My wife can't handle a knob to save her life. Now my previous girlfriend skills with a knob was superb. Her old 5speed Tercel shifted smooth and had a long and relaxed knob.

knob.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Lol, no hate or anything (do what makes you happy!), but Goddamn just mentioning standard transmissions causes dudes to suddenly appear out of the woodwork and instinctively gather around, readying themselves for the mandatory circle jerk.
    Keep in mind - Manuals are still quite popular in other countries. My son-in-law (Finland) had to take his driver's test with a manual transmission. Otherwise, you receive a restricted license.

We made my daughter learn how to drive a manual, because we predicted she would live in a 3rd world country some day. While she was living in Africa, all the vehicles she had access to were manuals. Now that she lives in Finland, their current car is an older Fiat Punto with a manual transmission. I never asked her if she had any issue getting a Finnish driver's license, but she can begrudgingly drive a manual.

My neighbor (now retired UW-Madison professor) used to travel abroad quite often for the university. Things may have changed, but she use to say renting an automatic in Europe was 4 times more costly than renting a manual car. Back here she drives an old Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & a Mini Cooper (both manuals).

Manual rental cars probably wouldn't go over too well here.

Likewise, people will tell you that they can't drive a manual, too! I've heard it many times. Very few people borrow my vehicles, because they are manuals. That's ok with me.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-20-2021),itschad (03-20-2021),MirageRally (03-19-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Manual transmissions are literally comparatively rare things these days, now only accounting for like 3-5% of car sales in the USA, and I think that number literally dropped 50% in the past year alone.

Stick shift brings out the stupid side of masculinity because driving is stereotypically associated with being a big man with all sorts of big skills, all about being big and driving a stick somehow also fits irrationally with being big and strong, and the general dominant type of personality type.

Anyway that's pretty much it why if you think about it. Lots of people here had stick shifts, was more common in the old days, same with my old ex girlfriend had a stick and she started driving at age fourteen I believe. To me stick shift is more novelty and joy of machinery than anything.

Anyway Dirk had a manual Accord and Fummins drove a manual Dodge, so maybe this being car forum these things come up. Anyway just a few thoughts, I guess I like my apparent self described "driving prowess," because I have 75,000 hours on big trucks and heavy equipment, so I guess I happen to inflate my own stupid attitude about thinking I'm a Driving King or something, but I have to have eyes on the back of my head all the time, driving a backwards steering vehicle, as well as all sorts of new stuff that's crazy I won't even get into.

Anyways cheers happy spring, I had some major tree work done at my house earlier.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-20-2021),MirageRally (03-20-2021)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    @ittschad

You don't really want an Aygo? I have a Citroen C1, the same car as the Aygo but with a different badge, and also the same as the Peugeout 107.

If you want to access anything in the engine compartment, or do regular maintenance, the front plastic "bumper"-cladding must come off. Its a pain in the arse to do, and the tiny plastic clips being a part of the cladding usually break off. Its a pita to work on. The tiny luggage compartment wont even take a crate of beer. Have a ride around the block as a rear passenger and you will know more than you want. Suspension is very sporty, a real bone-shaker if I've every seen one! Because it gives me a back-ache every time driving over the minimal bumps in any road, I leave it for my daughter.

You may want to look at a Panda, or a Yaris with the 1.0L petrol engine. It has more space, much more comfortable, and is a reliable car, easy and cheap to maintain. The 1.0L petrol engine (Toyota 1KR) is OK, and is found in the Aygo, C1, 107, Yaris, and many others.
    Last edited by foama; 03-20-2021 at 08:19 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-20-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    @ittschad

You don't really want an Aygo? I have a Citroen C1, the same car as the Aygo but with a different badge, and also the same as the Peugeout 107.

If you want to access anything in the engine compartment, or do regular maintenance, the front plastic "bumper"-cladding must come off. Its a pain in the arse to do, and the tiny plastic clips being a part of the cladding usually break off. Its a pita to work on. The tiny luggage compartment wont even take a crate of beer. Have a ride around the block as a rear passenger and you will know more than you want. Suspension is very sporty, a real bone-shaker if I've every seen one! Because it gives me a back-ache every time driving over the minimal bumps in any road, I leave it for my daughter.

You may want to look at a Panda, or a Yaris with the 1.0L petrol engine. It has more space, much more comfortable, and is a reliable car, easy and cheap to maintain. The 1.0L petrol engine (Toyota 1KR) is OK, and is found in the Aygo, C1, 107, Yaris, and many others.
    Yes I know it is the same as the C1 and 107 but they are all Toyota, the French have added a 1.2 engine that Toyota have refused to do. They believe the 1.0L engine is sufficient, as I do. The first generation Aygo were not as good as the 2014 facelift models.
    Where I think Toyota have skimped is by not fitting an infotainment system that allows Android Auto/Apple Car Play as standard.
    Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    rare things these days, now only accounting for like 3-5% of car sales in the USA, and I think that number literally dropped 50% in the past year alone.
    It's apparently even more grim than that. As of July last year...

"...according to Cars.com data, only 1.3% of new vehicles are sold in the U.S. with a stick, down from 3.4% in 2010." - source

To me stick shift is more novelty and joy of machinery than anything.
    Same here -- I enjoy operating a machine well. I've owned exactly one motorcycle, and the main reason I got it was I because wanted to learn how to ride one.

And of course let's not forget better efficiency, despite what the government ratings may say about automatics (mostly CVTs) being better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

ItsChad (and foama): you're making me envious about your car options... again. I'd love to try a 1.0L Aygo or one of its twins. Is the automatic a CVT or geared?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-20-2021)