Thread: Emotional, With Love And Strength We Shall Overcome.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Emotional, With Love And Strength We Shall Overcome.

I know this is a car forum but if you look closely there are a few cars so I can justify this post.
    In the UK every year there is Red Nose Day for charitable purposes. Last night (Friday) I had the TV on when I heard this. I was so overcome that I rewound and watched four times, very emotional. At the end of the song David Tennant was overcome. Very touching.

This damned disease has denied people the right to be together in times of need, unattended funerals/cremations, no hospital or care home visits but it's a necessity.

With Human Kindness, With Love And Understanding We Shall Overcome

There also a Banksy mural, his murals are worth millions. Something the great painters of yesteryear didn't achieve in their lifetime.

Please enjoy the video.

https://youtu.be/NbdmVEt7FlI

Growing old is compulsory- Growing up is optional

2. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-20-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Things will get better, they always do, seems like we are wasting away precious time with this virus. I'm debating about buying a house in the country proper, rather than in the smalll town like I live in now, with the perks of one grocery store and two banks and low taxes. The place I'm looking at is in the country country and has natural gas service at the road, which makes it doubly a good investment buy as well as cheaper gas bills each month.

This house would be an upgrade from ny own house now 1911 so like George IV I believe, all the way to a mid century modern house in the country.. bungalow all brick from 1962, so I'm not sure if I should rent my current house now, live off the land lord type of thing, and now my old English Oak has been pruned, I feel like it's time to move on is now if I'm going to do it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Things will get better, they always do, seems like we are wasting away precious time with this virus. I'm debating about buying a house in the country proper, rather than in the smalll town like I live in now, with the perks of one grocery store and two banks and low taxes. The place I'm looking at is in the country country and has natural gas service at the road, which makes it doubly a good investment buy as well as cheaper gas bills each month.

This house would be an upgrade from ny own house now 1911 so like George IV I believe, all the way to a mid century modern house in the country.. bungalow all brick from 1962, so I'm not sure if I should rent my current house now, live off the land lord type of thing, and now my old English Oak has been pruned, I feel like it's time to move on is now if I'm going to do it.
    Well good luck if you do decide to move, a country house sounds idyllic. Here we are allowed to relocate but for me living in Leeds West Yorkshire I feel no need to move, social distancing is observed. Your house was built in 1911? (George V) I love the older houses, built to last. All around West Yorks, in fact the UK, there are houses dating back to the 14th and 15th century but many from the Victorian era. They are indestructible and well sought after.
    Good Luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-20-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice and insight there, itschad, sometimes feels like the stars align and you get that slice of advice you need to chew on by another set of eyes far and wide away. Country proper would be basically twice the footage (US acre style I suppose) and with a few houses nearby, idyllic and practical, and I don't see any windmills that close by really. Corner lot between illfrequently used paved road, and then true gravel on the 90" road there. So yea lot of rusticness and horses galore across the street. Gambled good in the real estate game early on, not sure why I just like my independence.

My 1911 house is built like a tank, even the local roofer told me that, lots of new builds are woobly up there.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

itschad (03-20-2021)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice and insight there, itschad, sometimes feels like the stars align and you get that slice of advice you need to chew on by another set of eyes far and wide away. Country proper would be basically twice the footage (US acre style I suppose) and with a few houses nearby, idyllic and practical, and I don't see any windmills that close by really. Corner lot between illfrequently used paved road, and then true gravel on the 90" road there. So yea lot of rusticness and horses galore across the street. Gambled good in the real estate game early on, not sure why I just like my independence.

My 1911 house is built like a tank, even the local roofer told me that, lots of new builds are woobly up there.
    Ain't that the truth. Somebody farts and another house fall over. When I lived in London, a street called Grove Lane, there are a mish mash of dwellings, the oldest was a hunting lodge circa 1620 and old terraces houses 18th and 19th century. Some of Grove Lane was bombed in the 2nd World War and around the early 50's some flats were built in which we lived. I swear they are so well made they'll still be around a hundred years from now.

If you decide a relocation is for you then I wish you all the success. However, I must say that some folks I know had moved to a really remote part of Kent only to find that they missed what they had and where it was (edge of South London/Kent borders) so moved back. It'll need to be fully thought out and discussed. Only you know the area, think of how easy to get provisions, being snowed in, public transport and neighbourly activities.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-20-2021)

You two live in the same time zone apparently.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-20-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm on night shift for the past ten years ha ha, that is why.

I slept on this big idea I had, the thing is, so many big ticket items on day 1 with the country property. What about the water situation, what about septic system; is electrical up to code?

I know my own 1911 house already, I know the yard, and like where it gets spring flooding some years (giant puddles from the clay soil), I know the perennial plants.. my neighbours are super annoying so that's partly why I've been toying with building new, and other grandiose ideas..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I'm on night shift for the past ten years ha ha, that is why.

I slept on this big idea I had, the thing is, so many big ticket items on day 1 with the country property. What about the water situation, what about septic system; is electrical up to code?

I know my own 1911 house already, I know the yard, and like where it gets spring flooding some years (giant puddles from the clay soil), I know the perennial plants.. my neighbours are super annoying so that's partly why I've been toying with building new, and other grandiose ideas..
    Living out in the country is more work, but I love it. Well, septic, & others items can surely add cost to home ownership. This can snowball on you. Bigger yard = riding lawnmower, etc... I own 72 acres of woods behind my house. That adds multiple chainsaws, log splitter, ATVs, UTV, compact tractor to maintain trails, etc.....

I still watch how I spend my money. My two used Honda ATVs cost me about 1/2 the price of one new one. There are 36 & 25 years old, but do the job for me. I bought my old compact (late 1970's model) 4WD diesel tractor (with 3-point rear mower & rototiller) from my neighbor for relatively cheap when her husband passed away. In return I mow her 33 acres of trails attached to mine, & I supply her with firewood each fall. Buying her husband's tractor has been a win/win for both of us.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Living out in the country is more work, but I love it. Well, septic, & others items can surely add cost to home ownership. This can snowball on you. Bigger yard = riding lawnmower, etc... I own 72 acres of woods behind my house. That adds multiple chainsaws, log splitter, ATVs, UTV, compact tractor to maintain trails, etc.....

I still watch how I spend my money. My two used Honda ATVs cost me about 1/2 the price of one new one. There are 36 & 25 years old, but do the job for me. I bought my old compact (late 1970's model) 4WD diesel tractor (with 3-point rear mower & rototiller) from my neighbor for relatively cheap when her husband passed away. In return I mow her 33 acres of trails attached to mine, & I supply her with firewood each fall. Buying her husband's tractor has been a win/win for both of us.
    Yea eh, I had some pro pruners come by yesterday here and prune my oak tree in my backyard; they had all the equipment in my driveway, like a woodchipper. They had an older F150 or F250 with a custom box for the woodchips. 1987 or so with the real metal side mirrors.

I wasn't nosing around while they did their job. Anyway you're right about all those big ticket items that come up with a country property, building new is like twice the price now in a few ways. May as well stay put with what I know at my house now. I know what it needs, and the 1/4 acre almost yard is simple to maintain really. Good enough, this country property I'm talking about though is a nice spot, a few houses and farms yet still in the middle of the country, mixed farmland and bush and not much else going on. Less than 1 acre. Could be a good flip but I don't always have the stomach for the responsibility.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Living in the country gives you independence, but it also almost completely removes you from being able to enjoy any of the benefits of modern society. If you dislike your taxes now, just wait until you're in a position to get absolutely 0 benefit from them. So that's a tradeoff right there.

You say you have issues with your neighbors now. Well, those are just one of I'm sure multiple neighbors, and even if they want to be assholes they can't really screw you around too much. Living in the country would both decrease and increase the importance of being amicable with your neighbors. They will likely be much farther away, but you will also be much more dependent on them for assistance/resources in many cases. Also, if your closest (and only) neighbor 2 miles down the road is pissed with you, they can really mess up your life. No witnesses or enforcement! I would suggest buying a (big) gun and remaining vigilant re: your property. Being a stubborn, independent asshole is your right, but others also have that right. This can lead us to butt heads. Some people need M.A.D. like this to encourage them to get along with others. To each their own.

Also, property taxes on large acreage are going to be brutal unless you can do some flexible dodging, dipping, and diving through tax loopholes. You will need to ask yourself if you really NEED that amount of land, and if you can afford it and maintain it. Flexing on girly men who sip lattes and eat avocado toast ends up being an expensive affair.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-21-2021)