Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Penalized for driving a fuel efficient car

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Penalized for driving a fuel efficient car

I just updated my Virginia state license plates. I was expecting the usual annual fee of $40.75, but this time there was a "highway use fee" of $31.00 added on. When I asked the DMV clerk why, she shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know. She suggested I contact the head DMV through Facebook, which I did. They told me that any vehicle rated at better than 25 mpg was being accessed an additional charge, because the state wasn't making as much in sales tax off of the gas being purchased. Supposedly the tax charged at the pump goes towards road improvements and upkeep.

We also own a hybrid, which we've been getting hit for about $60 a year for extra road use tax already. I've never been charged that fee for my Mirage, or any of my Geo Metros in the past.

I guess it's just getting more costly to save the earth and all that now. Lol

Last edited by Car Nut; 03-21-2021 at 12:43 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

davidricardo86 (04-01-2021),MetroMPG (03-26-2021)

That's crazy! I can see insurance being higher but road tax/registration.......Screw it, go buy an old v10 excursion I guess??

They no longer give out new expiration date stickers out here, had I known that I wouldn't have bothered renewing my truck for 2 years. It's usually hooked to a trailer anyways.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-21-2021 at 12:13 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    because the state wasn't making as much in sales tax off of the gas being purchased.
    Any idea how much tax is paid on a liter of gas?

(Facebook? Doesn't you government have normal communication channels?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/#table
    Looked it up for you: 4.28 ₵/L in Virginia

Here in WI we pay 8.69 ₵/L, luckily no efficient car bs though, so long as its not a hybrid or gasp electric. If it wasn't for the $100 annual EV fine surcharge I might've been a IMiev owner by now.
    Last edited by MacClyver; 03-21-2021 at 10:26 PM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    https://igentax.com/gas-tax-state/#table
    Looked it up for you: 4.28 ₵/L in Virginia
    Oh wow. I pay €0.82/L ($0.98/L), and then I pay 21% VAT over that tax. But, on the other hand, I have a tax benefit because I have an economical car. Not only do I pay less fuel tax (because I'm using less fuel), I also (indirectly) paid less BPM (tax on (new) passenger cars and motorcycles) which is dependent on the expected CO2 emission. The difference in tax between a 25mpg and a 50mpg car is about 10k€. +21% VAT on that.

Here in WI we pay 8.69 ₵/L, luckily no efficient car bs though, so long as its not a hybrid or gasp electric. If it wasn't for the $100 annual EV fine [i]surcharge/i] I might've been a IMiev owner by now.
    Is that $100/year really a showstopper for purchasing an electric car?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I just updated my Virginia state license plates. I was expecting the usual annual fee of $40.75, but this time there was a "highway use fee" of $31.00 added on. When I asked the DMV clerk why, she shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know. She suggested I contact the head DMV through Facebook, which I did. They told me that any vehicle rated at better than 25 mpg was being accessed an additional charge, because the state wasn't making as much in sales tax off of the gas being purchased. Supposedly the tax charged at the pump goes towards road improvements and upkeep.

We also own a hybrid, which we've been getting hit for about $60 a year for extra road use tax already. I've never been charged that fee for my Mirage, or any of my Geo Metros in the past.

I guess it's just getting more costly to save the earth and all that now. Lol

Never underestimate politicians creativity in finding new ways to tax you so they can have more money to play with.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dragon2knight (03-24-2021),Fummins (03-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Never underestimate politicians creativity in finding new ways to tax you so they can have more money to play with.

Well said!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    We got a bs ad valorum tax here in Georgia. If you move to the state/ or a got a new car and you needed a new tag, you had to pay 7% of your car's worth first. It used to be you just paid $70 and got yourself a new Georgia plate and registration but the car dealers lobbyist were losing out a lot to private sales because it was a lot cheaper to register a car bought from a private owner vs the dealership. It was $500 for me to register my old Subaru Outback when I bought it used from my step mom in South Carolina. I remember waiting in line at the tax register office and this girl in front of me in the line was told it was going to cost her like 2 grand to register. She was floored. Just some kid that moved to Atlanta and getting hosed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    We got a bs ad valorum tax here in Georgia. If you move to the state/ or a got a new car and you needed a new tag, you had to pay 7% of your car's worth first. It used to be you just paid $70 and got yourself a new Georgia plate and registration but the car dealers lobbyist were losing out a lot to private sales because it was a lot cheaper to register a car bought from a private owner vs the dealership. It was $500 for me to register my old Subaru Outback when I bought it used from my step mom in South Carolina. I remember waiting in line at the tax register office and this girl in front of me in the line was told it was going to cost her like 2 grand to register. She was floored. Just some kid that moved to Atlanta and getting hosed.
    In good ol Kentucky, we get the privledge of paying sales tax on our vehicles EVERY YEAR! Frigging cork stickers...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Meh. This is one of the cases where living in an advanced society basically means "paying rent." Having nice things isn't free. Roads cost what they cost to build and maintain. If they lose a revenue stream somewhere, they need to find a new one somewhere else.

I would be interested to see what would happen if they just got rid of all these different tax codes and just charged everyone a flat rate for the right to be a citizen. Being rich doesn't mean you use roads more. Being poor doesn't mean you go to the park less.