Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Penalized for driving a fuel efficient car

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf
    Is that $100/year really a showstopper for purchasing an electric car?
    No it's really not, but it's disappointing that barriers are raised to dissuade people from making the right choice. When I need another car next it will be electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Basic
    In good ol Kentucky, we get the privledge of paying sales tax on our vehicles EVERY YEAR!
    Jeez, that sucks... Yeah I'll consider my previous complaint rescinded

Last edited by MacClyver; 03-21-2021 at 10:24 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    No it's really not, but it's disappointing that barriers are raised to dissuade people from making the right choice. When I need another car next it will be electric.

Jeez, that sucks... Yeah I'll consider my previews complaint rescinded
    I was thinking of getting a used Nissan Leaf for the summer months, then keep my Mirage for the winter. My town has a community plug in but I don't know much about the plug-in aspect.

I will call the county before I went ahead with a Leaf. I have been looking some, and it seems like a lot of Leafs near me are low miles. I would really have to do my research. And I'm not sure about this but I heard that electric cars don't have good heat in the winter, and I'm not sure about battery performance in the winter climate.

Nice to have free charging every day and no gas to fuel up every week. I just want to know the truth about the heating systems in non petrol cars and in Canadian style winter conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    Meh. This is one of the cases where living in an advanced society basically means "paying rent." Having nice things isn't free. Roads cost what they cost to build and maintain. If they lose a revenue stream somewhere, they need to find a new one somewhere else.

I would be interested to see what would happen if they just got rid of all these different tax codes and just charged everyone a flat rate for the right to be a citizen. Being rich doesn't mean you use roads more. Being poor doesn't mean you go to the park less.
    I imagine the rich have a lot more free time to go to a park.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I imagine the rich have a lot more free time to go to a park.
    They have more freedom to do so (can more easily take time off work due to less financial pressures), but I can assure you that we are all given about the same amount of time. You're also making a lot of assumptions about how/why they make their money. To quote my uncle: "No one will ever pay you a lot for not working hard."

In before "Well, the 0.0001% of billionaire CEO's probably only work about 40 hours/week." Quite frankly, they also probably aren't spending their weekends picking up their dog's **** at the local park. I'm talking more "top 10%" rich than "top 1%" rich.

Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post

Just wait, once ev's become more popular they'll just start adding more tax to electricity if they can't get you at the gas pump.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Eh, so what. I already pay 15 cents per kilowatt hour.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    [QUOTE=PityOnU;126189]They have more freedom to do so (can more easily take time off work due to less financial pressures), but I can assure you that we are all given about the same amount of time. You're also making a lot of assumptions about how/why they make their money. To quote my uncle: "No one will ever pay you a lot for not working hard."

Lol I lost count of all your assumptions in your last 2 paragraphs.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    In good ol Kentucky, we get the privledge of paying sales tax on our vehicles EVERY YEAR! Frigging cork stickers...
    What is the rationale?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins
    Just wait, once ev's become more popular they'll just start adding more tax to electricity if they can't get you at the gas pump.
    Of course the road has to be paid for. And I really don't know what would be fair here. Ideally the road tax would depend on the road use. But how to measure that without severe privacy issues? Tax on tires, maybe?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I've been participating in this project here in Oregon since 2018 that reduces your registration fees by paying per mile.

https://www.oregon.gov/odot/Programs/Pages/OReGO.aspx
    Last edited by inuvik; 03-22-2021 at 04:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-23-2021),Fummins (03-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I just updated my Virginia state license plates. I was expecting the usual annual fee of $40.75, but this time there was a "highway use fee" of $31.00 added on. When I asked the DMV clerk why, she shrugged her shoulders and said she didn't know. She suggested I contact the head DMV through Facebook, which I did. They told me that any vehicle rated at better than 25 mpg was being accessed an additional charge, because the state wasn't making as much in sales tax off of the gas being purchased. Supposedly the tax charged at the pump goes towards road improvements and upkeep.

We also own a hybrid, which we've been getting hit for about $60 a year for extra road use tax already. I've never been charged that fee for my Mirage, or any of my Geo Metros in the past.

I guess it's just getting more costly to save the earth and all that now. Lol
    I've been sort of following the comments on this tread. In some ways, I feel a fuel tax is a fair way to supplement road repair costs. I don't see the need to penalize those driving driving more fuel efficient cars, however.

Those vehicles that use more fuel are usually heavier and harder on the roads. The heavier, larger, less fuel efficient vehicles on the road should probably contribute more to road repair. It's not like smaller, more efficient gas cars aren't paying anything, nor would I expect everyone to pay the same.

Most of all, we should be encouraging people to drive more fuel efficient vehicles. It's just better for the planet (& roads).

"Wisconsin's current state excise tax rate dedicated to transportation purposes is 30.9 cents per gallon. When the state's petroleum clean-up program fee is added, total state taxes and fees collected at the pump is 32.9 cents per gallon – 11th highest in the nation."

I have no problem with paying the above fuel tax rate, because maintaining roads is costly. I also don't feel bad if someone driving a large four-door 4WD pickup truck is paying more road tax than me (in my more fuel efficient Mirage). I would be a bit miffed if I was penalized for driving a more fuel efficient vehicle.

As electric cars become more popular, however, something different may need to be done. If electric cars become the norm, roads will still need repairs.

Last edited by Mark; 03-22-2021 at 11:08 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-22-2021)