Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yep... another one...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I thought the Mirage was a tow vehicle? I'll use any excuse to re-post this picture...

Name:  chevette_towing.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  96.4 KB

Story here for anyone who hasn't seen this pic before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hahahaha that's awesome!

Still no updates on the black Mirage. Been too busy and too nasty outside to touch it. I should go start it again here soon and see if it starts up properly.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Actually, wasn't too bad out tonight so here's an update. Changed the nasty oil, engine still ticks some. What the heck is that? It almost reminds me of a lifter tick or piston slap... and I know that cold start garbage caused the engines to get piston slap on these earlier cars but the damn car is less than a month out of the engine replacement program... dammit!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post

Actually, wasn't too bad out tonight so here's an update. Changed the nasty oil, engine still ticks some. What the heck is that? It almost reminds me of a lifter tick or piston slap... and I know that cold start garbage caused the engines to get piston slap on these earlier cars but the damn car is less than a month out of the engine replacement program... dammit!
    I think you are way overreacting about the old oil. 123,227 - 116,000 = 7,227 miles

Lots of Mirage owners are doing 7,500 mile oil changes. Several companies are recommending 10,000 mile oil changes these days.

Examples:

"Synthetic oil usually should be changed every 7,500 - 10,000 miles. Toyota recommends getting your 2020 Toyota Highlander oil & filter changed every 3,000-5,000 miles for conventional oil."

"Synthetic oil usually should be replaced every 7,500 - 10,000 miles. Ford recommends getting your 2020 Ford EcoSport oil & filter replaced every 3,000-5,000 miles for conventional oil."

Lot of Ford dealers use the Motocraft 5W-30 Synthetic Blend oil, too.

I did 3,000 mile conventional oil changes for decades. I switched to 5,000 mile synthetic oil changes when I bought my used 2011 Forester in 2013.

I have zero experience with real dirty oil. Pryme mentioned using Sea Foam. I've sort of researched that with mixed reviews. Maybe Pryme has some personal experience he can share using it? I did find some other suggestions -

https://askinglot.com/does-seafoam-help-noisy-lifters

One of them may be worth a try!

Given the mileage on that oil, the car may not have been neglected after all!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

I love that opening intro music on your vids. Reminds me of the music from Predator, when Arnold and the Jesse "The Governing Body" Ventura were running around in the jungle fighting that alien.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    116,000 is when it was due again. So 7227+5000 = 12,227 on what was 5w20 conventional oil. That's way too many miles for garbage cheap dino juice. It also reeked of gasoline.

Also, if you see my first video, the air filter was nasty, the plugs were never changed, the car's absolutely disgusting inside... definitely neglected in many ways. At least it's had the trans fluid changed a few times in it's life hahaha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I love that opening intro music on your vids. Reminds me of the music from Predator, when Arnold and the Jesse "The Governing Body" Ventura were running around in the jungle fighting that alien.
    The song is called 19th Floor by Bobby Richards from the Youtube music library haha. Copyright free quality!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I read putting in higher quality spark plugs vs what came in the Mirage can sometimes cause piston slap?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's possible? I went with the same plugs that came stock. It made sad noises before and after new plugs BUT it ran a thousand times better. The old plugs were pretty rank and fouled out... the car was super weak. Might be why the dude thought the trans was bad because it would have to rev up all the time to make use of the little power the car had hahaha.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    It's possible? I went with the same plugs that came stock. It made sad noises before and after new plugs BUT it ran a thousand times better. The old plugs were pretty rank and fouled out... the car was super weak. Might be why the dude thought the trans was bad because it would have to rev up all the time to make use of the little power the car had hahaha.
    You know if the previous owner ever did cvt fluid changes? Are you going to on it?