Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Yep... another one...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I'm glad you're enjoying the videos! It's fun for me to make them and hopefully pass on a little knowledge here and there.

Well, I've had it running for hours, driven it all over town, revved it a bunch of times to the redline... the noise hasn't changed at all. It's either piston slap or possibly a noisy lifter or something along those lines. It wouldn't be a rod bearing or anything like that because the engine would have exploded already hahaha.

I'd love to know if this is the cause of the "overfuelling" issue that Mitsu was replacing these early engines for. This might be the cause of that especially since the guy who I bought it from told me the noise started when there was that cold snap last December in the area. Was fine before then and then it got super cold especially for the St. Louis area and the car started to tick like that and hasn't stopped.

You know what, it's clacky just like Fummins' white Mirage was before they replaced the engine under the service campaign now that I found the video of his car again. So yeah, pretty sure it's piston slap from cylinder scoring or whatever. At this point, it's just going to probably be that way which is fine for whatever young driver gets it and subsequently undo's all the work I put into cleaning and fixing it when when they smash it into a tree because they were too busy texting and taking selfies or some garbage like that.
    'Overfueling' issue causes the cylinder scoring which eventually causes the ticking then the knock. Mine started with a slight tick (engine speed) and increased over a 2 week period. When it started to get louder I took it in to the dealer. It's been sitting at the dealer for 4+ weeks waiting on a new engine from Mitsubishi (warranty replacement.)
    2018 Mirage with 75,000 miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Come to think of it, I believe the overfueling started during a very cold period. I remember a strong gasoline smell upon cold startup. I don't believe that should happen with fuel infection. As I've pointed out on my other "new engine" posts, the engine always started and ran perfectly fine, and no warning lights ever came on.....

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Even with that engine noise, it's still a reliable engine wouldn't you think? Probably good for another 100k miles with a little luck.
    Well, if it's like an older Chrysler they run with piston slap forever so I'd guess it would be fine like this for a while. Like I said before, chances are very high the car would be abused and totalled before the car engine fails.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-04-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Well, if it's like an older Chrysler they run with piston slap forever so I'd guess it would be fine like this for a while. Like I said before, chances are very high the car would be abused and totalled before the car engine fails.
    Someone here on the forum has gone through several engines, abused by racing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, I have a feeling a teenager or something will probably buy this thing as their first car or something. Zero maintenance ever again hahaha.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Well, I have a feeling a teenager or something will probably buy this thing as their first car or something. Zero maintenance ever again hahaha.
    Then you buy again & start all over again!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well, here's part 5 of the videos... and the last part as well. I sold the car today to a car dealer who will replace the cracked windshield, replace the front tires that it needs (I included two good used tires that I got for free with my blue 2015 ES which my dad just bought from me), and clean it up a bit more. Or maybe they'll do nothing and just list it for some ridiculous number. Who knows! At any rate, profit occurred for what was some pretty simple fixes and cleaning so I have no complaints.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoyed this video series about saving the car from death. I had a lot of fun making it even though my video skills are absolute trash. Maybe the next one I find will actually need an engine or transmission replacement so I can use the nice engine and transmission that are sitting in my garage awaiting a home! That'll be real fun to make a video about.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-07-2021),MetroMPG (04-26-2021),Top_Fuel (04-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Mmmm... Mr. Gummy Bear - Noooo!
    HAHAhahahaha

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm semi bummed because I wanted to see what the Rotella oil change did...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't worry, I'll find another one to experiment on eventually!