Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Short shift as an option for manual transmission on new cars

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have thought of a used Jetta diesel since I know I will actually get the proper legroom.

What is a 4 way and 6 way seat? Lol my Mirage's seats have held up well, the front driver's headrest is now "see through" thin cotton t-shirt... you can see the foam a literal + emblem behind the grey seat fabric. Like stamped on the foam and now so worn out. No rips, the bum area is definitely all thinned out.
    Since 2019, all Mirages have a 6-way driver's seat in the States. Prior to that, it wasn't a part of the base models.

It's a marketing term. Let see for a Mirage it would be entire seat moved forward, entire seat moved back, tilt rear of the seat back, tilt rear of the seat forward, extra two are the ability to lift the seat up & down some.

If you are somewhat tall, I find the extra feature useless. My head is close enough to the roof already, & I am not convinced a 6-way manual adjustment does much in helping that. I would never use it. It was a non-factor in buying a Mirage for me.

I do have neoprene custom made seat covers for the front seats. They have been holding up quite well! Made by Dash Design (best price is usually @ rockauto.com).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have thought of a used Jetta diesel since I know I will actually get the proper legroom.
    I don't think I could justify owning two vehicles based on leg room. Extra license, insurance, etc... wouldn't be worth it for me.

Even though 90% of my driving is with my Mirage, I keep my older Forester because it's paid for, has AWD to climb my winter ridge roads, need it for towing stuff on my trailer, & it has a new short block engine with about 5,000 miles on it. Unless my lifestyle changes, I figure owning my Mirage will extend the life of my Forester for another 10-15 years easily. In the meantime, I will have zero vehicle payments, too.

There's nothing on the market currently that interests me any more than what I already have. That's a good thing!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-27-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh, that's the dilemma right there. I guess same thing if you have a motorcycle on the road, as well as your car. Some people change cars all the time. My neighbour has had 3 cars and she moved next door 4 years ago. Nissan Kicks, blue with white roof.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you are somewhat tall, I find the extra feature useless. My head is close enough to the roof already, & I am not convinced a 6-way manual adjustment does much in helping that. I would never use it. It was a non-factor in buying a Mirage for me.
    Makes a HUGE difference as the initial position of the 6 way is much lower than the 4 way can even get. 10x more comfortable. 1 of the many reasons I LOATHE the 2015 DE that replaced my beloved 2014 ES.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Makes a HUGE difference as the initial position of the 6 way is much lower than the 4 way can even get. 10x more comfortable. 1 of the many reasons I LOATHE the 2015 DE that replaced my beloved 2014 ES.
    I tested both before I purchased my Mirage. Sitting lower wouldn't make me feel any more comfortable. I really like the seating position of my 4-way seat. If I had the feature, I wouldn't lower it. Glad it works for you, however! Its' become standard on all Mirages since 2019 for those who like it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I tested both before I purchased my Mirage. Sitting lower wouldn't make me feel any more comfortable. I really like the seating position of my 4-way seat. If I had the feature, I wouldn't lower it. Glad it works for you, however! Its' become standard on all Mirages since 2019 for those who like it.
    The seat goes up and down height adjustable? as well as back and forth, closer and farther from the pedals (obviously). I didn't realize the Mirage had seats like this.. I just have the horizontal lever underneath the seat to slide on the tracks. All the way back for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The seat goes up and down height adjustable? as well as back and forth, closer and farther from the pedals (obviously). I didn't realize the Mirage had seats like this.. I just have the horizontal lever underneath the seat to slide on the tracks. All the way back for me.
    Yeah its really nice. Lowers the back down to where my legs dont fall asleep like the 4 way
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-31-2021)

I'll have to check that out. I have always had both my 14' seats all the way down. I didn't notice any difference between them and the 15-19' non height adjustable seats in the work Mirages. I'll have to measure a bunch and compare them to mine.

Edit:
    Just measured 2 2015's. From the roof down to the seat cushion is 38 1/2 " at the center rear of the seat on both. Measuring at the front of the seat bottom to the headliner(as straight up as I could finger) one car was 31" and the other was 32". I believe the one seat was reupholstered and had some foam replaced.
    I'll try to measure mine when I get home.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-31-2021 at 10:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I wonder the the distance is with the seat all the way back to the gas pedal, and how that compares to other vehicles.

Pretty sure that's called leg room. Try google.com

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)