Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Short shift as an option for manual transmission on new cars

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Short shift as an option for manual transmission on new cars

I have been debating about getting another car on top of my Mirage for over 2 years now, my current long and wide work boot doesn't even fit my Mirage's 3 pedals that well. Mirage made me bigger because it made me lazy lol. And the pedals are so close together, I sometimes feel like I will mix up my foot pedals.

I was building a 2021 Subaru Impreza 5 door convenience (base model basically) online, and I put my usual pick of day 1 options: blue touch up paint, factory rubber floor mats, ... and I saw they have a $497 option for an STi short shift. Is short shift from the factory a good option? Maybe it's dealer installed, not sure the deal at all about short shifters.

Will this make my Impreza 70% faster without the WRX price tag?

With my big personal calamity of no legroom and possible problems with big feet, am hoping to get a true $19,999 type of deal on a new Subaru. If I work up the nerve to actually buy another car and keep my Mirage as a summer ice cream roundabout. Probably not cheap however.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    All a 'short shift kit' really does is change the pivot point of the shifter. Instead of a 5" throw from 1st to 2nd you might have a 3.5" throw. It is meant to make shifts quicker in drag race situations. Sometimes the kit will also make the shifter more precise because it has tighter bushings than stock, but that's really about it.

It makes sense for a performance car like a WRX or STi...which is why they come from the factory that way...but I'm not sure it will accomplish much in a basic Impreza grocery-getter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, short shifters are all about feel. When I used to have Neons I would always get a Maddog short throw shifter and booger bushings for them. My 2005 that I had last had a 78% reduction shifter in it... you literally would just flick your wrist to change gears. Was so wonderful feeling!

I wish one existed for the Mirage... mainly for the fact that it would make it more pleasant to shift when you have a passenger since the shifter wouldn't physically move as much so you wouldn't bump someone's leg or whatever.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I was building a 2021 Subaru Impreza 5 door convenience (base model basically) online, and I put my usual pick of day 1 options: blue touch up paint, factory rubber floor mats, ... and I saw they have a $497 option for an STi short shift. Is short shift from the factory a good option? Maybe it's dealer installed, not sure the deal at all about short shifters.
    A base level Subaru Impreza sedan (manual transmission) with no added accessories is $19,720. I only see one slightly discounted to $18,946 in my area. $18,946 is almost $24,000 in Canadian funds. A base model does come with many nice features, & it is AWD.

The "STI Short Throw Shifter" is a $412 ($520 Canadian) accessory here. Since it is listed as an accessory, I would assume it's an add on item (where a dealer switches things out). Seems like you should get something for the original if that is the case. I would spend the money on something like that unless you could actually test drive one that has that option first. Then you could decide it's worth the extra money.

Just shopping some -

The Impreza is cheaper than the new Civic (manual), which doesn't have AWD.

The Toyota Corolla hatchback (manual) is slightly cheaper than the Impreza.

We only have the manual option of the Mazda3 hatchbacks, & they are expensive. They would be well over $30,000 in Canadian funds here.

If you want to go used, I think I found the perfect vehicle. Less than 5,500 miles, 4WD, and under $10,000 ($12,650 Canadian). Plus, it's a manual with a whopping 545cc twin cylinder engine! It even has curtains for the side windows!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5197/overview/

I am joking of course, but I have never seen one of these before. It would be unique!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can't really try myself before buying: I definitely won't find a 2021 base Impreza with a manual to test drive anywhere, let alone the short shift installed, on any car on the dealer's lots. My local Subaru is actually Hyundai/Subaru. Anyways...

Some people say short shift is safer because you're quicker with shifting.

They also have an overpriced STi front grille lip option that looks pretty cool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A base level Subaru Impreza sedan (manual transmission) with no added accessories is $19,720. I only see one slightly discounted to $18,946 in my area. $18,946 is almost $24,000 in Canadian funds. A base model does come with many nice features, & it is AWD.

The "STI Short Throw Shifter" is a $412 ($520 Canadian) accessory here. Since it is listed as an accessory, I would assume it's an add on item (where a dealer switches things out). Seems like you should get something for the original if that is the case. I would spend the money on something like that unless you could actually test drive one that has that option first. Then you could decide it's worth the extra money.

Just shopping some -

The Impreza is cheaper than the new Civic (manual), which doesn't have AWD.

The Toyota Corolla hatchback (manual) is slightly cheaper than the Impreza.

We only have the manual option of the Mazda3 hatchbacks, & they are expensive. They would be well over $30,000 in Canadian funds here.

If you want to go used, I think I found the perfect vehicle. Less than 5,500 miles, 4WD, and under $10,000 ($12,650 Canadian). Plus, it's a manual with a whopping 545cc twin cylinder engine! It even has curtains for the side windows!

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5197/overview/

I am joking of course, but I have never seen one of these before. It would be unique!
    2021 Subaru Impreza Convenience 4 door in Canada are $19,995 plus freight and taxes.. the 5 door Convenience is $1000 extra option. That's for manual.
    Opting for the automatic adds Eye Sight drivers assist.. across the board on all trims except base manual.

Name:  1985 honda.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  81.9 KB

Minivans have a lot of positives, keeps your expensive tools out of the elements. I had a furnace guy come by yesterday and they have those Mercedes Sprinters. For the HVAC line of work, van makes sense.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Name:  1985 honda.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  81.9 KB

Minivans have a lot of positives, keeps your expensive tools out of the elements. I had a furnace guy come by yesterday and they have those Mercedes Sprinters. For the HVAC line of work, van makes sense.
    Thanks for adding the pic of the Honda van. I thought the 4WD with a 545cc twin cylinder engine was interesting! Americans are so silly about vehicles like the Mirage not having enough horsepower.

By the way - I only searched a 250 radius from where I live for vehicles. The best new manual deal in my area is a vehicle called the Mitsubishi Mirage being sold by White Bear Mitsubishi. I am not surprised by that, because that's why I own one myself!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Name:  tall man driving car.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  50.6 KB

I only have had 1 car for 7 years running now, my 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. What a time I have had with my car, and I love my Mirage. But I'm 25 lbs heavier now, I have like size 13 feet and I'm over 6' and stretch to like 11' lol

So I'm tired of being crowded in my car. I want leg room. VW's always had legroom, so this simpsons scene of the tall man driving a small car isn't actually all that accurate. But I can't stretch my legs out in my Mirage, and I can't in a Lancer, either..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  tall man driving car.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  50.6 KB

I only have had 1 car for 7 years running now, my 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage. What a time I have had with my car, and I love my Mirage. But I'm 25 lbs heavier now, I have like size 13 feet and I'm over 6' and stretch to like 11' lol

So I'm tired of being crowded in my car. I want leg room. VW's always had legroom, so this simpsons scene of the tall man driving a small car isn't actually all that accurate. But I can't stretch my legs out in my Mirage, and I can't in a Lancer, either..
    I'm 6' 1" and 250+ pounds. I really don't feel that crunched up a Mirage. I do feel crunched up in our 2016 Ford Focus driver education cars, however. The Focus gives me a claustrophobic feeling. You feel more wrapped around in plastic in those cars. I don't have that feeling in my Mirage.

I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva for 14 years. It was smaller than Mirage, & I thought nothing of it. I really don't feel like my 2011 Subaru Forester gives me any more leg room than my Mirage. Prior to purchasing my Mirage, I did compare the 4-way driver seat to the 6-way. I saw no reason to pay extra for the 6-way seat. My Forester has it, and I seldom use the feature. It's what you are use to I guess. I think nothing of sitting a flat board for 4 hours hanging 20+' up on the side of a tree when I am bowhunting. By comparison, a Mirage seat is like a nice recliner. I know some really like to complain about the seats in a Mirage, but I don't think they are that bad. I've done some longer daily trips lately (400-600 miles), & I don't get uncomfortable in my Mirage.

It's fun window shopping just the same, but not having car payments is also not bad!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-27-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have thought of a used Jetta diesel since I know I will actually get the proper legroom.

What is a 4 way and 6 way seat? Lol my Mirage's seats have held up well, the front driver's headrest is now "see through" thin cotton t-shirt... you can see the foam a literal + emblem behind the grey seat fabric. Like stamped on the foam and now so worn out. No rips, the bum area is definitely all thinned out.