Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short shift as an option for manual transmission on new cars

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have the seat all the way back which is fine and nice but what's up with car makers putting the steering wheel so far away, and it's such a pita to make it longer, even cars with telescopic aren't satisfying.

You can see it when you are driving too, everyone looks hunched over their steering wheel like a slave, looks ridiculous.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    what's up with car makers putting the steering wheel so far away.....
    Air bags!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I have the seat all the way back which is fine and nice but what's up with car makers putting the steering wheel so far away, and it's such a pita to make it longer, even cars with telescopic aren't satisfying.

You can see it when you are driving too, everyone looks hunched over their steering wheel like a slave, looks ridiculous.
    You want to be as far away from that airbag as possible to save your pretty face.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Or do what smart people do and disable them. (sarcasm)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Audi had years ago a structure where the steering wheel was retracted in the event of a collision. I remember the commercial. But it's long ago, maybe before airbags were used. But you'd say the combination would be a winner for people with short arms.
    On an even more sidenote, about 30 years ago I got a ride from someone who drove an American vintage car. In that car you could unlock the steering wheel, and move it sideways, to the center of the car, to ease boarding and disembarking. Then I thought is was for fat Americans, as I never saw people struggling to move in or out a car.
    Now I wonder if maybe for some reason Americans like to be closer to their steering wheel, making the move more difficult?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Audi had years ago a structure where the steering wheel was retracted in the event of a collision. I remember the commercial. But it's long ago, maybe before airbags were used. But you'd say the combination would be a winner for people with short arms.
    On an even more sidenote, about 30 years ago I got a ride from someone who drove an American vintage car. In that car you could unlock the steering wheel, and move it sideways, to the center of the car, to ease boarding and disembarking. Then I thought is was for fat Americans, as I never saw people struggling to move in or out a car.
    Now I wonder if maybe for some reason Americans like to be closer to their steering wheel, making the move more difficult?

The swing-away steering wheel was used in some Ford's from 1961-1966, to allow easier egress (or "disembarking" if you're on a plane or ship) with a large purse or breifcase. This was well before America's expanding waistlines.

Attachment 21394

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-23-2021)