Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No start, low compression...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    It's something like that. I've done mine this way a couple times. One time I cranked it for about 10 seconds maybe then shut it off to talk to my son. It cranked, but it did seem to miss a little when starting back up. Then recently I cranked it and as soon as it fired I turned it off. I don't know why, I think I just spazzed out with my mind on other things. But it cranked back with no issue.

I think this happens primarily in colder climates and with older cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by jbarr View Post
    Any idea why these cars are getting flooded? Is it a short start and shutoff pulling it into the shop?
    Exactly.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    It's something like that. I've done mine this way a couple times. One time I cranked it for about 10 seconds maybe then shut it off to talk to my son. It cranked, but it did seem to miss a little when starting back up. Then recently I cranked it and as soon as it fired I turned it off. I don't know why, I think I just spazzed out with my mind on other things. But it cranked back with no issue.

I think this happens primarily in colder climates and with older cars.
    Yeah, stupid cold. Sometimes they flood when cold when you just let go of the key before it's actually running. I tell drivers these cars are extremely idiot-proof. You can turn the key to start then just hold it there all day long, if you hate your job and try to destroy the car by running the starter when it's already running you can't lol.

You also can't lock the doors while the key is in the ignition(with the engine off and door open at least). Not even manually, yet at least once a month I have to go find a spare key cause someone locked themselves out of a running car. They just keep inventing better idiots?

Anyways...I just did another compression test on this same turd. 175 across every hole now. Good for another 274k.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (09-23-2022),Top_Fuel (09-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...I just did another compression test on this same turd. 175 across every hole now. Good for another 274k.
    That is scary how fast the cylinders get washed down in these things. I guess the good news is they will bounce right back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

It's got compression but I'm not sure about bearing material. It's very knocky. I didn't drive this thing other than into the shop so it could have sounded like crap before? I guess I'll find out once I put the driver back in it and see if they mention anything. Though with the way things take their roundabout course over here, it'll take a while for complaints to get back to me.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    It's got compression but I'm not sure about bearing material. It's very knocky. I didn't drive this thing other than into the shop so it could have sounded like crap before? I guess I'll find out once I put the driver back in it and see if they mention anything. Though with the way things take their roundabout course over here, it'll take a while for complaints to get back to me.
    Knockier than normal?

I'm not going to start this argument, but I've been using mid-grade gas for over 3/4 of the life of my 118k mirage because it sounds less knocky with higher-grade gas. I dare to say it's 'quiet' with premium fuel but I'm too poor for that life.

No, I mean the engine knocks not pings because it's worn out. More expensive fuel won't fix this one. You'll have to take my word for it.
    Mirage videos:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (09-23-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You're right. I'm so out of it today; apologies.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Mine will flood from time to time when I move it around to clear the snow in the driveway. Normaly at wot it will restart easily with a big black cloud of smoke. Now that it has refreshed piston set I like to let it run a while to let it heat up a little before I turn it off, that way it doesnt flood the next day.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    What about the cars with the 400 watt Katt heaters? Do the heaters, given enough time, heat the block/combustion chamber hot enough to vaporize the accumulated fuel?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)