Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rally driver gives fuel economy tips for driving the CVT Mirage (Video)

Rally driver gives fuel economy tips for driving the CVT Mirage (Video)

Hiroshi Masuoka, a multiple Dakar Rally champion, gives tips on driving the Mirage for best economy.

He knows what he's talking about: he achieved 26.48 km/L [ 3.8 L/100km / 62.3 mpg US ] in a demonstration eco-drive.

Video is from Mistu Malaysia (via paultan.org):

While the Mirage boasts a 21km/L fuel-consumption, two-time Dakar Rally Champion, Hiroshi Masuoka managed to up the ante to an impressive 26.48km/L!

In this second episode of our Mirage video series, Masuoka-san lets in on the secrets to become a skilled driver like him.
    Sub-titles from the video (slightly edited by me):
    My name is Hiroshi Masuoka. I'm a two-time Dakar Rally Champion: in 2002 and 2003

You managed to achieve startling fuel-consumption results in your Eco Runs which is above the 21 km/L advertised! Mind sharing with us your tips?

Basically the Mirage was developed to achieve good fuel-efficiency. On the other hand, driving behaviours of an individual would also affect fuel-consumption.

• And one of the biggest tips: How you step on the accelerator when you start moving the car makes a big difference. Usually people would step more than half of the accelerator... when a soft start is just enough. So only step up to 1/4 of maximum 1/3, of acceleration. That first acceleration after you start the car really uses a lot of fuel. Not many people know this.

• Another big indicator is the RPM. Every time you drive, don't only look at the speed; look ar the RPM, too. The maximum you should go for is 2,000 RPM so you'll get a good (fuel-consumption) result.

• Now, the city and highway, these are two different scenes, right? When it comes to city, usually the speed is 50-60 km/h. In that case, 1,500 RPM is quite enough. That should be the maximum. When it comes to highway, where your speed averages between 80-100 km/h, try to maintain 2,000 RPM.

• And another tip is, in your everyday drive, please pay attention to the engine's sound. The louder it is, the more fuel you're using.

Now the video doesn't say so, but obviously he's talking about driving the automatic CVT-equipped car.

Because there's no way you could hold 2,000 RPM at 80-100 km/h (~50-60 mph) on the highway with the 5-speed!

We already know from our RPM/speed/gear charts for the 5-speed that 2,000 RPM puts you at ~70 km/h (~43 mph) in top gear. 100 km/h (~60 mph) has the engine buzzing away at ~3,000 RPM!

(Note to Mitsu: give us the option of a taller 5th gear!)

-----

See also: Mirage fuel-economy driving tips

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great find there Metro.

Cheers Jamie

Another video instalment with Masuoka-san - this one gives more generic (and good!) tips about getting good fuel economy.

Things like:
    • timing traffic lights by coasting to (possibly) avoid having to come to a stop;
    • increasing your following distance so you don't have to brake every time the car in front of you does;
    • "playing the accordion" in traffic; etc...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    great find

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    And one of the biggest tips: How you step on the accelerator when you start moving the car makes a big difference. Usually people would step more than half of the accelerator... when a soft start is just enough. So only step up to 1/4 of maximum 1/3, of acceleration. That first acceleration after you start the car really uses a lot of fuel. Not many people know this.
    Darin, I have read older articles that state a gas engine is most efficient under a heavy load or at wide open throttle. They also mention that under these conditions the engine is doing less "negative work" as a result of the lack of engine vacuum with the throttle plate open. Strictly in the context of an economy run type contest where we constantly pulse and then engine off coast, I have always wondered which is the most efficient? Is going WOT then engine off coasting best, or a taking off gently and maintaining as much vacuum on the gauge as possible better? What are you thoughts?

Mike

Hey Mike -

The pointers Masuoka gives about RPM & throttle use in this video series is for the automatic (CVT) version of the car. I'm sure he got input from Mitsu's engineers on the most efficient technique for driving the automatic (ie. leaving most of it up to the computer). Sounds to me like he's asking the driver to keep engine RPM in a narrow band, probably where the best BSFC zone (brake specific fuel consumption, for the benefit of others who might not know the term).

I'd trust his advice for the CVT (I have precious little experience driving those).

But if I were driving the manual in competition, I'd definitely be pulsing & gliding. Specifically from a stop, I'd be rolling onto the throttle ramping up to med-high load within a second or two.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah I see, thanks Darin. I wasn't considering the CVT trans.
    Last edited by blownb310; 03-04-2013 at 02:24 PM.

FYI: I moved a question from a new member about low fuel economy from this thread to a new thread: New member with Mirage GLS CVT only getting 11 km/L

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    super thanks to this, i'm able to achieve 13.5km/L daytime driving (light to moderate traffic) and 31.1 km/L nightime (MID) driving in my mirage

light-stepping on the accelerator, adjusting to traffic (light braking, engine brake), and some relaxing jazz music helps

also loaded with higher RON gas. using regular gas and applying the tips here gave me 10.2km/L (day)and 18.7km/L(night)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    do you veterans think the extra mpgs of the 5speed is going to be worth all the effort? I mean how many more mpgs do you think this guy could have gotten with a 5 spd?