Thread: Underbody protection panel/ stealership issues.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Post Underbody protection panel/ stealership issues.

Hello Friends, Just wanted to let you know I did my first ever oil change today. It was last done by the previous owner at the stealership. I could only get the filter off using pliers to crush two flat sides into the filter from the bottom.

My vehicle is missing the black plastic underbody protection thing with the cutout to reach up and change the filter. Do all cars come with that black plastic thing? the doug demuro youtube review of the 2015 mirage doesnt appear to have the black plastic underbody thing either.

Also, Ive noticed the Wix engine filters in comparison to OEM have a weird glue line running down the middle of both sides, should i be concerned about this being sucked into the engine? what purpose does the glue serve?

On a side note, apparently the stealership forgot to install a cabin air filter into the vehicle and it had no coolant in it when i bought it(used). (this car has no low coolant light). Which is why my heat wasn't working when i bought the car.(this passed the rigorous complementary multi point inspection that comes with the oil change)

Since there's no way of knowing if the cars leaking oil without popping the hood(who does that?), as Fummins would say: Im now waiting for the filter to fall off when im on the highway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is this what you need? This one's sold out but crosscheck the part numbers to make sure they line up.
    https://www.carparts.com/engine-spla...10018?&vehicle

Here's one on Carid
    https://www.carid.com/replace/engine...eid=2024338887

l would check the part number and look around. As for the weird glue line? That l don't know about? lf the glue is hardened there shouldn't be any problems. l go with a ultra fram filter and it doesn't have any glue on it at all. Maybe take a picture if you can so we can see it in more detail?
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Hello Friends, Just wanted to let you know I did my first ever oil change today. It was last done by the previous owner at the stealership. I could only get the filter off using pliers to crush two flat sides into the filter from the bottom.

My vehicle is missing the black plastic underbody protection thing with the cutout to reach up and change the filter. Do all cars come with that black plastic thing? the doug demuro youtube review of the 2015 mirage doesnt appear to have the black plastic underbody thing either.

Also, Ive noticed the Wix engine filters in comparison to OEM have a weird glue line running down the middle of both sides, should i be concerned about this being sucked into the engine? what purpose does the glue serve?

On a side note, apparently the stealership forgot to install a cabin air filter into the vehicle and it had no coolant in it when i bought it(used). (this car has no low coolant light). Which is why my heat wasn't working when i bought the car.(this passed the rigorous complementary multi point inspection that comes with the oil change)

Since there's no way of knowing if the cars leaking oil without popping the hood(who does that?), as Fummins would say: Im now waiting for the filter to fall off when im on the highway.
    I would consider investing in a 65mm oil filter socket. I have this one -

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T...7459234&sr=8-6

but I bought mine at a Farm & Fleet store. This is a good style, too -

https://www.amazon.com/Flutes-Filter...7459234&sr=8-9

Doing one oil change yourself justifies the cost of having the right tool for the job.

I have done 9 oil changes so far, & I've removed all of my Mirage oil filters standing on my two feet & from the top. If you decide to replace the black plastic, there's no need to remove it for oil filter access. The oil filter socket allows me to pull this off even though the space to work is limited.

Does your Mirage has A/C? Another long time Mirage owner discovered his Mirage without A/C didn't have a cabin air filter. If that's the case, I don't think adding one will hurt.

I've never owned a vehicle with a low level coolant light. I always felt coolant level is something you visually check yourself. If coolant level is extremely low, the engine overheating light would come on. I would be careful to not mix different types of coolants, too.

My Mirage & Forester both have the Asian blue coolant, & I have a jug of this on hand to keep the radiator overflow tank at the proper level -

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...llon/801754735

I don't know what you mean by the glue on the Wix oil filter, but you can surely check if it is still there when you remove it next time. I've been doing 5,000 mile oil/filter changes for my Mirage.

I don’t get what’s going on, you bought a car without coolant, missing the splash shield and doesn’t have a cabin filter so it’s someone else’s fault? Sounds about right.
    You can usually spot oil leaks easily. If oil is on the outside of the engine or if there’s an oil along the bottom of the car.....
    then you might have a leak.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-03-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    @mark I do not have Air conditioning, I guess that explains why i didn't have a cabin air filter? thats a weird money saving strategy.

@Miragerally yes thats exactly what I need, I was wondering what its purpose is and if it would be worthwhile for me to install?

Ive attached a photo of the difference between OEM and Wix engine air filters below:

Name:  IMG_1594.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  90.8 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That glue is nothing to worry about.
    (blank signature)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    @mark I do not have Air conditioning, I guess that explains why i didn't have a cabin air filter? thats a weird money saving strategy.

@Miragerally yes thats exactly what I need, I was wondering what its purpose is and if it would be worthwhile for me to install?

Ive attached a photo of the difference between OEM and Wix engine air filters below:

Name:  IMG_1594.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  90.8 KB
    I thought you meant oil filter. I am using the same Wix engine air filter. I wouldn't worry about the glue strip. I would take/use a Wix air filter over an OEM one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The splash shield deflects water and other road debris from going up into the engine bay and damaging things, don't know if it's absolutely needed as mine came with it. lf it worries you, l would get one just to be safe.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    +1 on 65mm oil filter socket and a 2” extension, and DONT overtighten. Tighten by hand and then another 1/8 - 1/4 turn. So much easier than from underneath

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    The glue-line over the length of the air filter is just a spacer to help keep the folds in place. Different manufacturers do it different ways. Your filter is fine.

Too low coolant level can kill these cars quickly! Make sure there is enough in it, and that it is the correct stuff. Check periodically to make sure it stays as it should be. Mine does not lose coolant, your's should not either.

Mine has airconditioning, but did not come with a cabin air filter from the factory. There are plenty of aftermarket filters for this car, just put one in.

An oilfilter cap is good to have for taking an overtightened oil filter off. If you put it on as directed (see package) you can simply use your hands next time and don't really need the filter cap. They are inexpensive anyway.