Thread: rattling and growling noise on low speed in attrage 2014

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

rattling and growling noise on low speed in attrage 2014

Hi

after we did our 20000 service for the car, a strange vibrating growling noise appeared on low speed;
    the garage dude checked everything and the verdict was that it was the engine mounting brackets. he replaced it with none original ones, but the nose and vibration are still there.
    now he claims we need to replace it with the original engine mounting brackets, which are 200$ a piece,
    does this sound logical?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    No, not logical at all!

Don't you pull you hair, but rather take some silicone as used in a bathroom, and look at this thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...le-permanently

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    No, not logical at all!

Don't you pull you hair, but rather take some silicone as used in a bathroom, and look at this thread:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...le-permanently

i hope this is it because the sound looks like it comes from a metal not plastic,
    and as i understand it can be connected to me changing the air filter?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Yes, can be connected to changing the air filter.

The noise hitlist is
    1) The airfilter assembly with snorkel, etc., (most probably your problem)
    2) the heatshield on the first half metre or so of the exhaust.
    3) exhaust hangers (rubber)
    4) something else, but usually not being the engine mounts.
    Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-31-2022)

Foama pointed out the most common and likely causes. The air filter housing is common to wear out where it bolts to the valve cover and the snorkel wears out as well. They usually make a rattling noise at idle while in drive(cvt) but sometimes goes away once driving.

I have had a few cv axles cause a vibration while under load while driving. Most notable when flooring it, it'd shake the entire car like it had a bad engine mount. The inner joint was worn out. Axle didn't show the typical clicking sound when cornering. Just vibrated under load.
    There was one person on the forum that claimed their brake lines were rattling. I thought they were crazy but there's a first for anything and anything is possible.
    Follow the brake lines down from the master cylinder(lhd), there's a little cutout where the lines fit into a hexagon(or something similar) hole. There's a chance they could be vibrating in there? I haven't seen it myself.

Edit: I just re-read the first post again. Sounds most likely to be the air filter housing. Though you shouldn't have to remove it to replace the filter...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

again, thank you for your time and answers.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Yes, can be connected to changing the air filter.

The noise hitlist is
    1) The airfilter assembly with snorkel, etc., (most probably your problem)
    2) the heatshield on the first half metre or so of the exhaust.
    3) exhaust hangers (rubber)
    4) something else, but usually not being the engine mounts.
    Good luck!
    i will go to the garage that fixed my car with the information, its just that the vibration of the engine are not as usual and the sound is similar to driving on the road without the tires. if that makes sense.

I'd be hesitant to keep going back to the garage that just keep replacing random parts. It sounds like they have no idea wtf is going on. Checking the air cleaner is pretty easy. Do a search or someone can post a thread about it.

If you can, try and post a video of what's going on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by yossi View Post
    i hope this is it because the sound looks like it comes from a metal not plastic,
    and as i understand it can be connected to me changing the air filter?

If it sounds metallic, jack the car up (use jack stands, too) and check the heat shields. There's a small one located on the top side of the exhaust, doesn't go all around the exhaust pipe, but it makes a loud rattle when loose under the right circumstances/RPM. A cheap metal hose clamp will lock it down and stop the rattle, if that's the source of your noise.

Country
    Israel
    Thanks

wow thanks for everything

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Foama pointed out the most common and likely causes. The air filter housing is common to wear out where it bolts to the valve cover and the snorkel wears out as well. They usually make a rattling noise at idle while in drive(cvt) but sometimes goes away once driving.

I have had a few cv axles cause a vibration while under load while driving. Most notable when flooring it, it'd shake the entire car like it had a bad engine mount. The inner joint was worn out. Axle didn't show the typical clicking sound when cornering. Just vibrated under load.
    There was one person on the forum that claimed their brake lines were rattling. I thought they were crazy but there's a first for anything and anything is possible.
    Follow the brake lines down from the master cylinder(lhd), there's a little cutout where the lines fit into a hexagon(or something similar) hole. There's a chance they could be vibrating in there? I haven't seen it myself.

Edit: I just re-read the first post again. Sounds most likely to be the air filter housing. Though you shouldn't have to remove it to replace the filter...
    i will try to check everything you talked about, the garage technician is one that's with me for 20 years and he is very reliable, unfortunately the Mitsubishi Attrage is not a popular model here and not many have experience with it.