Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Mirage 3A92 Engine repair in process. (Problem: low compression)

Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    I am 99% sure this engine has an oil pressure sensor. its wiring is right next to the oil filter. The light looks like a gravy boat. When you change the oil filter you can see the light stay on for a couple of seconds. I dont think it has an oil temperature sensor and im not sure why you would want one. Its not like coolant there is no way for the engine to modify its oil temperature if it wanted to. It has no heat exchanger.
    Mechanic is right. I had to see if for myself though so plugged in the scanner to verify. I'm surprised they don't show actual pressure.

The oil sending unit/sensor/switch is just a pressure switch and it can't actually read pressure or temperature. When it sees whatever amount of pressure the switch is designed to see it opens(probably), when it looses pressure it closes. Or the other way around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Fummins,
    . . . . Your first assumption is correct. When the oil pressure is above a certain value the switch will be open and the light is off. Below that value, the switch closes, and the light comes on. I don't know what it is for the Mirage but most vehicles are around 5-7 psi even though I have seen as little as 3. Of the course the engine is toast by the time the light comes on. That mounting point for the switch would be a good place to put a tee and install a pressure and temperature sensors. Well I found a job working for NAPA. Yeah!!!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Mechanic is right. I had to see if for myself though so plugged in the scanner to verify. I'm surprised they don't show actual pressure.

The oil sending unit/sensor/switch is just a pressure switch and it can't actually read pressure or temperature. When it sees whatever amount of pressure the switch is designed to see it opens(probably), when it looses pressure it closes. Or the other way around.
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Well I found a job working for NAPA. Yeah!!!
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Congrats on the new job Rich!

Hope employees get a discount on parts, too!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . Thanks! I start in the morning. I have a lunch date with my girl in 1.5 hours. How are you doing? I have 140K on Mirage. Have you seen these?
    https://www.carid.com/mitsubishi-mir...xoCzccQAvD_BwE
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Congrats on the new job Rich!

Hope employees get a discount on parts, too!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark and et al,
    . . . . After my first day at work in 21 years I am beat and in a whole lot of pain. My right knee is bothering me. I will have to move slower tomorrow. I pushed too hard today. I had a great time. It is nice to be able to work again! The route that I drove this morning is 58 miles one way. The route that I took home is 36 miles one way. But the speed limit is only 60 instead of 70 or 75. Also it is all two lane and a lot of vehicles are being driven at 45 to 55, Lots of passing. And there is a seven mile construction zone with about 3 miles of pavement missing. This area is 35 mph. So the time is just about the same. Of course I will be using 2 to 2.5 gallons each day instead of 3 to 3.5 gallons. That is a huge difference.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Not so happy any more!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mechanic For This Useful Post:

CROSSBOLT (11-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Mark and et al,
    . . . . After my first day at work in 21 years I am beat and in a whole lot of pain. My right knee is bothering me. I will have to move slower tomorrow. I pushed too hard today. I had a great time. It is nice to be able to work again! The route that I drove this morning is 58 miles one way. The route that I took home is 36 miles one way. But the speed limit is only 60 instead of 70 or 75. Also it is all two lane and a lot of vehicles are being driven at 45 to 55, Lots of passing. And there is a seven mile construction zone with about 3 miles of pavement missing. This area is 35 mph. So the time is just about the same. Of course I will be using 2 to 2.5 gallons each day instead of 3 to 3.5 gallons. That is a huge difference.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    It's good to hear that you had a great first day on the job!

Hopefully, the aches and pains will go away over time. When we get older, doing something new like that is felt afterwards! Ugh!

Hang in there Rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I am hoping and praying for the same thing. Yes, getting old is a real pain in the rear end. Hyundai in Brookshire which is about 35 miles away was looking for a parts driver but they weren't ready to hire someone. I am going to open that bridge back up and pray that I get it. This summer at NAPA is going to be very difficult because of the heat.
    GOD Bless and Goodnight,
    rich!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    3A92 engine have iron sleeve with aluminium casted around them like previously stated, I dont know what thickness they are.

My engine is doing fine, it has been around 40000km since the rebuild and the oil filter are clean. I havent change the rod and main bearing, the damage was minimal in my opinion but I run 5w30 instead of 0w20 because of the increase tolerance and because I think thicker oil will not wash away as much when the engine is flooded.

I have gone with toyota piston beacause the are cheaper and easier to find, they give a bump in compression and give a better quench fit with the cylinder head. The 3A92 piston cost around 400$ a set here and the toyota 120$. The total cost of the rebuild was around 300$

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (08-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    3A92 engine have iron sleeve with aluminium casted around them like previously stated, I dont know what thickness they are.

My engine is doing fine, it has been around 40000km since the rebuild and the oil filter are clean. I havent change the rod and main bearing, the damage was minimal in my opinion but I run 5w30 instead of 0w20 because of the increase tolerance and because I think thicker oil will not wash away as much when the engine is flooded.

I have gone with toyota piston beacause the are cheaper and easier to find, they give a bump in compression and give a better quench fit with the cylinder head. The 3A92 piston cost around 400$ a set here and the toyota 120$. The total cost of the rebuild was around 300$
    Could you share the part numbers for the parts you used? Particularly the pistons.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-29-2022)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Name:  facture moteur mirage.png
Views: 481
Size:  27.9 KB

Here are all the parts I purchased from rockauto, I also got some philips screw from local store that I dont remember the size for the oil pump because they where pretty thigh for philips screw.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (08-29-2022),Fopeano (02-11-2023),Fummins (08-30-2022),inuvik (08-29-2022)