Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Less body roll in the 2021 model!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Less body roll in the 2021 model!

I just traded in my 2014 DE for a 2021 ES manual today. My 2014 had the Ultra Racing rear sway bar, front tower strut bar, and Eibach springs to mitigate the severe body roll we're all familiar with.

I was fully prepared to return to jelly world with my new 2021 but... it's just not there? Or, at least, it's not significantly greater than my 2014 with all of its modifications.

Was anything changed for the new model or should I expect it to soften up over time?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stove For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-04-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh stove, that's interesting. I would like to test drive a 2021 Mirage and see what the differences are compared to my base ES 2014 Mirage.
    See the improvements first hand. I know the seat fabrics are better now, and do you have a middle arm rest? Is the armrest on the door (for your left arm) soft now or still hard plastic? What about a CD player? Anyway questions galore over here, hope you're enjoying your 2nd Mirage. Cheers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stove View Post
    I just traded in my 2014 DE for a 2021 ES manual today. My 2014 had the Ultra Racing rear sway bar, front tower strut bar, and Eibach springs to mitigate the severe body roll we're all familiar with.

I was fully prepared to return to jelly world with my new 2021 but... it's just not there? Or, at least, it's not significantly greater than my 2014 with all of its modifications.

Was anything changed for the new model or should I expect it to soften up over time?
    Things were changed in 2017. 2021 changed the bumpers & front grill. I would expect a 2021 would ride no differently than a 2017-20 Mirage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-14-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I traveled on dome back roads in my 2021 G4 and was also impressed with the ride improvement compared to my 17 hatch. The 17 would bottom out and float and that is pretty much gone in the 21 sedan. Maybe the spring rates were increased since all else appears the same?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillAce View Post
    I traveled on dome back roads in my 2021 G4 and was also impressed with the ride improvement compared to my 17 hatch. The 17 would bottom out and float and that is pretty much gone in the 21 sedan. Maybe the spring rates were increased since all else appears the same?
    BillAce and all - I would imagine that the sedan would use different spring rates in the rear. Maybe all 4. Because the difference in wheelbase will lead to dynamic performance differences. However, I'm no chassis expert. Far from it. It could be that "one size fits all" works just fine between the hatch and sedan. If it were a Toyota, I can almost guarantee the 2 would have slight differences. But in the case where an OEM is trying to keep a car ... inexpensive, keeping the same chassis setup between the two would help control cost.

As for the original issue, I'm going to say that long term wear and tear probably has a lot to do with feeling the differences. Yet I've never rode in a pre-2017 model so I couldn't really say. My car has only seemed to bottom out once in the rear. 2 people in the car and went over some railroad tracks. It really reacted harsh to bottoming out. Almost felt like the rear bottomed out and that caused it to launch the rear end off the ground ... sort of like a horse bucking its hind legs off the ground.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    As for the original issue, I'm going to say that long term wear and tear probably has a lot to do with feeling the differences. Yet I've never rode in a pre-2017 model so I couldn't really say. My car has only seemed to bottom out once in the rear. 2 people in the car and went over some railroad tracks. It really reacted harsh to bottoming out. Almost felt like the rear bottomed out and that caused it to launch the rear end off the ground ... sort of like a horse bucking its hind legs off the ground.
    Nope. '14-15s felt like that from DAY 1. I drove mine brand new off the lot. Crashing off the bumpstops unsettling the car. It's shocking how underdampened these cars were in the first iteration.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have to say a new 17 vs a new 21 G4 is supposedly the same but ride very different on the road. The G4 does have a little bit longer wheelbase and a subwoofer enclosure in the spare tire well. If there are heavier springs in the G4 in 21 they might be an option for the early Mirage bounce houses.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Yah my 2015 has a nice spongy ride, think 1954 Buick Roadmaster kinda of float.

Name:  Buick.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  100.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    As someone who has a lot of experience with 2014 hatch, 2017 G4, and a 2021 hatch, I really don't feel much of a difference in the suspension. The G4 has better visibility and handles crosswinds a little better, but that's it as far as my opinion goes. I will say a 2021 has better sound deadening material in the engine bay. Closing the door and flipping the sun visor up, sounds less econocar than the 2014 or 17. The catch is I'm constantly having to re-close my driver's door.