Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mirage owner here reporting for posting.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage owner here reporting for posting.

First things first, I almost own a 2014 Mystic Black Mirage DE 5 speed manual. It just crested 80k miles the other day. Bought it in 2016 with 30k miles for 6 grand off the lot. I was looking for 4 door, cheap, fuel efficient car in that order. Local used lot had this up for $7000 sticker price so I took it for a drive, talked them down to 6 out the door and here we are 5 years later almost paid off. I can't complain a bit about it. Well not entirely I do have one issue but that'll be for another post.

Another thing, I didn't realize people still used forums these days. There's a couple I look at occasionally that aren't nearly as active as they used to be. I thought social media and new platforms killed the forum scene off, I didn't even expect there to be one for my Mirage lol. I've only ever seen one other Mirage in the wild, they're just not popular in my specific area I suppose. The closest Mitsu dealer doesn't even have them on the lot.

So..yea hello people. I'll be making a few posts and probably some stupid questions over the next undetermined amount of time when I have the time. Which is non existent due to wife and I working full time jobs with 2 kids, pets, and a house to take care of.

Want to know about me? Well I guess. Not a mechanic by trade but I could be if I wanted to. I chose to be a machinist instead, I hate working on cars but never had the money to pay someone to work for me, so I learned out of necessity. Not new to forums either, I have one account that I will still look at occasionally that is almost 20 years old. Now I feel old after saying that. I tend to ramble on a lot too with only one or two sentences that are actually important. I type or write out too much filler all the time.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Swoop03 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome. I have a feeling that most of us here are old forum junkies. I think that is part of the appeal of the Mirage to people like us. Good old fashioned sensibility
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Swoop03 View Post
    First things first, I almost own a 2014 Mystic Black Mirage DE 5 speed manual. It just crested 80k miles the other day. Bought it in 2016 with 30k miles for 6 grand off the lot. I was looking for 4 door, cheap, fuel efficient car in that order. Local used lot had this up for $7000 sticker price so I took it for a drive, talked them down to 6 out the door and here we are 5 years later almost paid off. I can't complain a bit about it. Well not entirely I do have one issue but that'll be for another post.
    Having a vehicle paid off or almost paid off is a good feeling. You'll have to share that moment with us when it happens!

Welcome to the Mirage forum!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Welcome aboard.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Swoop03, welcome here!
    Sounds like you don't have money to waste on others working for you, and do all maintenance and repairs yourself. Same here! I was raised in a workshop and rebuilt engines, gearboxes, etc long before becoming a teenager. That was in the early sixties. I drive a 2014 manual too.

You do have the Factory Service Manual (FSM)? If not, get one! You can find the link buried in this forum.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I tend to ramble on a lot too with only one or two sentences that are actually important. I type or write out too much filler all the time.
    Oh, youre going to fit in just fine here! Welcome!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Swoop03, welcome here!
    Sounds like you don't have money to waste on others working for you, and do all maintenance and repairs yourself. Same here! I was raised in a workshop and rebuilt engines, gearboxes, etc long before becoming a teenager. That was in the early sixties. I drive a 2014 manual too.

You do have the Factory Service Manual (FSM)? If not, get one! You can find the link buried in this forum.
    I don't have much money for anything lol, my dad never trusted anyone to work on his stuff so he did it all himself and I learned that way. The difference is if I had the money for a mechanic I wouldn't touch my car again other than driving it haha. Cars just frustrate me so much sometimes, for instance I just found out that my drum brakes come with sealed bearings and an abs sensor pressed in. I need new drums most likely too, I'll have to check this weekend. So instead of a $50 brake job it'll cost at least $300 cause of these darn engineers.

And yes, I do have the FSM and the original paperwork from whomever bought the car new. I got it second hand.

Also thank you to everyone else for the warm welcome. 😊

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...I just found out that my drum brakes come with sealed bearings and an abs sensor pressed in...
    You also have to press in your own wheel studs if you buy bare drums, too.

Check out this thread for a related discussion. The short answer is to buy a complete drum assembly (drum, bearing, ABS ring, wheel studs) on RockAuto for not much more than AutoZone is selling a bare drum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-07-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You also have to press in your own wheel studs if you buy bare drums, too.

Check out this thread for a related discussion. The short answer is to buy a complete drum assembly (drum, bearing, ABS ring, wheel studs) on RockAuto for not much more than AutoZone is selling a bare drum.
    I have a cart saved on rockauto, this forum is how I found that out. I went to check my brakes and couldn't get the drum off to save my life. So I Google it and found out that Mitsubishi did their brakes weird. Well weird to me, it may be common to others. I'm hoping I don't need drums and just get some shoes. I can get a bare drum from Oreilly's for 35 a piece, but I don't have a press or nothing to safely remove my bearing. Studs are easy though. I may not need drums either way. I have to go get a 30mm socket first before I can check everything out.

Belated welcome, Swoop03!

Another thing, I didn't realize people still used forums these days. [...] I thought social media and new platforms killed the forum scene off
    That's an ongoing risk! I've seen forums killed off by FB.

Some, though, hang on mostly thanks to the core members who recognize a dedicated forum is better than FB in a couple of important ways. (Though FB could drive the final nail if they wanted to -- by improving their platform for "forum-type" groups. I figure it'll happen eventually.)

I've only ever seen one other Mirage in the wild, they're just not popular in my specific area I suppose. The closest Mitsu dealer doesn't even have them on the lot.
    How far away? There are 4 in my area. Nearest dealer is 60 miles / 100 km.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)