Thread: 7.5K mile service...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts

7.5K mile service...

Up to now I've done all the service on my own. Just oil and filter. Not a big deal.

Why is it I'm feeling the need to take the car to the dealership for the 7,500 mile service?

Is there any warranty advantage to having the dealer do the service? I track the services I do in my app on my smartphone. But I don't know if that info would be deemed real evidence in the case of a catastrophic engine failure (for example).

The dealership I would use has a full synthetic oil and filter change for $29.95. I can hardly beat that on my own. Costs me $23.29 to do it myself. I'm betting I use better oil and filters. However, I would do their $29.95 oil change if there is any warranty advantage to it.

What say you?

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

That's not a bad price for a dealer service. I don't see a need to have a dealer perform services like blinker fluid or coolant inspections but if they'll change your oil for $30 you'll have a paper trail and it should be entered on the my mitsu site and/or carfax which could help resale slightly if you care about that stuff.

I've been doing the services on the wife's car since it was new for some stupid reason, she gets free oil changes but the dealer is 30 mins away across town.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage only holds a hair over 3qts. That's about 14.00 worth of M1. Add about 4.00 for a filter and it's still plenty cheaper to do yourself and you know exactly what is going in and how it was done.

No reason warranty wise to bring it in.

My corolla calls for 10k oci....lmao I already changed it at 1k and will do it again at 5k and then bring it in for the free 10k oil change.

I got one free one with mirage and never bothered

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just got an email from our local Mitsu dealer about the $29.99 full synthetic oil change (oil and oil filter). Not too bad. I think the last time I had them replace my oil on my Mirage was when I had to get it replaced by them around the 1,000mile (or 3,000 mile) mark...I forget. But that was the last time from what I can remember when I let them do the oil change.

I guess if anything, it's on CarFax and it shows that Mitsubishi changed the oil. It 'could' add some value to the car seeing that the oil was changed by a Mitsubishi dealer at the correct mileage intervals(?). For me, if I was looking into a car, I usually look/ask about how often the engine was maintained.

I don't think there's any warranty advantage though. Because there are tons of factors why (x) could fail unless it was a super common issue to all Mirages throughout the United States and not just parts of the country.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Up to now I've done all the service on my own. Just oil and filter. Not a big deal.

Why is it I'm feeling the need to take the car to the dealership for the 7,500 mile service?

Is there any warranty advantage to having the dealer do the service? I track the services I do in my app on my smartphone. But I don't know if that info would be deemed real evidence in the case of a catastrophic engine failure (for example).

The dealership I would use has a full synthetic oil and filter change for $29.95. I can hardly beat that on my own. Costs me $23.29 to do it myself. I'm betting I use better oil and filters. However, I would do their $29.95 oil change if there is any warranty advantage to it.

What say you?

7milesout
    Everyone's situation is different. Using a Mitsubishi dealership for an oil change would involve a 130 mile round trip for me. If I used the dealership that I bought my Mirage from, it would be a 440 mile round trip for an oil change.

Oil has gone up in price some lately. The 3 quarts of oil & filter I use costs me approximately $15.50 now. $29.95 is not a bad price for a synthetic oil change. Our local mechanic charges about $60 to service our driving school cars with synthetic oil. In that case, however, he is picking up the cars from school, checking them over, & topping off any other needed fluids. The Chevy Impala (3.6L) that I drive primarily also takes 6 quarts of synthetic oil. Three times the engine size of a Mirage and twice the amount of oil I guess.

My dad receives free oil changes on his Chevy Silverado, but the free part is up to 5 quarts of oil. Thus, he pays for one quart of oil when they are done. He buys GM vehicles and uses the dealerships for service. That works for him. At age 80, no one is going to change him.

If going to the dealership is convenient, $30 oil changes are very reasonable. I like doing them myself, but it's also not convenient for me to go somewhere. Even if I used a local small town mechanic, I would feel silly waiting for my car for something I can easily do myself.

If I owned a Toyota like Pryme that offered free 10,000 mile oil changes, I would do the same as him. I would change my oil every 5,000 miles & let the dealership do every other one for free. A very good friend of mine is leasing a Toyota Highlander, & I am sure he's doing the 10,000 mile oil changes. The Toyota dealership is a good 70 miles away. If I am not buying the vehicle when the lease is up, I would just let them do whatever they recommend.

I can see both sides of doing it yourself or having a dealer do it for a reasonable price. I do see some value in having a dealer do a few services prior to the 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, or use them when you need an added service done that you're not comfortable doing. Let's say @ 30,000 miles you have them do the oil change, transmission fluid, and engine air filter & whatever else may be necessary. Once again, these are all things you can do yourself. If an issue is found, however, it's still under warranty.

I plan on doing all my oil/filter changes on my Mirage, & I see myself sticking with 5,000 miles intervals using SuperTech full synthetic oil & Purolator ONE (or Fram Ultra Synthetic) oil filters.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-09-2021 at 07:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't need to go to dealer for warranty to be valid. Costco/Supertech oil and cheap 10k mile filter should only add up to $13-14ish and is at least as good as what the dealer will use. Add a fumoto value and use a filter wrench and you will be done in minutes no mess vs going all the way to dealer and waiting. If you are feeling lazy or really don't want to do it $30 is ok also.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Who here thinks these primative, basic engines could probably take the abuse of 9k mile oil changes? I kind of do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    When my dealership was open they charged $90.00 for an oil change. Yep, that is for THREE QUARTS.

I got one free oil change from Mitsubishi and another from the dealership. The first one took about two hours and the second one they spilled oil all over the top of the motor and didn't clean it up.

They never changed my oil again. Considering the OCI in other countries is much higher than the 7500 miles recommended in the States, I'd say yes...these cars can do a 9000 mile OCI easy. I used M1 for the first 120k or so, then switched to Costco oil (I have read it is very good). A case of factory filters is about $60 on Ebay. That puts an oil change well under $20...and I don't have to let anyone else touch my car.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-10-2021),Pryme (04-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    When my dealership was open they charged $90.00 for an oil change. Yep, that is for THREE QUARTS.
    That's almost as bad as the Kawasaki dealer here. I took my sxs for it's first service(early last year) against my better judgement. That was stupid. They charged more than they originally told me when I bought the thing. It was over $200 for 4 qts of engine oil and a tiny filter(51358 is the same), 1 qt of 80w gear oil for the front diff and 1qt of rear diff fluid(tractor fluid for the wet brake). My bum still hurts. I just replaced all the fluids again the other day, it only took about 2 beers to change everything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-13-2021)