Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New roadtrip in the G4, much better hwy mpg than my 2014 hatch!!!!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Took the hatch out onto the highway today, drove for about 25 mins doing between 60 and 70 mph and still only got up to 33mpg. I also filled up the tank with 3.2 gallons and avg 31 mpg again. Also for the first time that I can recall, the start up sounded off and there was a smell of gasoline in my car that didn't dissipate until I drove a mile and turned the circulation to non-refresh. Did my engine just flood?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Took the hatch out onto the highway today, drove for about 25 mins doing between 60 and 70 mph and still only got up to 33mpg. I also filled up the tank with 3.2 gallons and avg 31 mpg again. Also for the first time that I can recall, the start up sounded off and there was a smell of gasoline in my car that didn't dissipate until I drove a mile and turned the circulation to non-refresh. Did my engine just flood?
    Sounds like it could have flooded unless maybe you spilled some gas on you??

Might want to get that compression checked.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Well drove from Atlanta to Charleston SC yesterday with my wife. We have the exact same tire and wheel on the G4 as on my 2014 hatch. I manually checked the mpg from Atlanta to Columbia SC and even factoring the 2.2% in revolutions on the larger tire we still netted 38mpg! And this is with me doing 70 to 75 mph the whole way with a lot of rolling hills in between. Meanwhile doing the same speed on the hwy is netting me 27 to 30 mpg on my 2014 hatch. I'm starting to think it's engine related?
    according to my pal at mitsubishi hatch and G4 have different ECU Mapping thats why G4 is more efficient i dont know if its the same since our mirage is locally made and not exported aboard.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to allrock For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-17-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 2014 Mirage ES hatchback is a DE entry level Mirage, manual with no AC. Mine is a Thailand-made Mirage, not made in the Philippines.. but I already did know they made some Mirage's in your country. Toyota makes Corollas nearby my house to be honest. I figure they are made in Ontario Canada for the whole world market for sure. Probably Ontario Toyota Corollas for sale near you.

I just finished my 84 month payment plan on my Mirage yesterday. Last car payment ever or a while hopefully. I have changed my mind with my car a few times lately.

In exactly 84 months and one day of ownership so far in my Mirage, I always average around 4.6 L / 100 km's fuel economy in the summer, around around 5.1 L / 100 km's in the winter. So those are on my dash reading but still very impressive in the grand scheme of things, and my point with fuel economy. I want good fuel economy, end of it. So over 40 to 45 mpg's overall.

But I know with my Mirage, I have done my Mirage driving in the country, lower speeds and not 73 mph (us) in urban traffic. Then I suppose economy must be like 30% worse overall. Wear and tear on the car as well.

Winter conditions here take a bite out of my fuel economy, you notice it. But what a great car for fuel.

Sorry for my rant lol cheers eh

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-17-2021),MetroMPG (04-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Dirk - My son and I were driving south through Atlanta Saturday evening about 6 pm on I-285. My son was driving, we were in his G35 coupe. I reminded him a couple times to back off other cars (and he mostly did stay back, just a couple instances that made me leary), because it was raining hard in areas. I told him I believe most crashes root cause were from cars riding too close and having to jam on brakes and swerve when they find cars inches ahead braking.

5 minutes later a young black girl spun her Altima around and backed it into the median wall. Cars EVERYWHERE all piling up on her, people swerving this way and that barely missing each other, looked to me like if we didn't get out of there we would be piled into the back of. Luckily my son didn't panic he just picked his way through carefully. I hate to think what might have transpired behind us after getting through it. But the worst part of it all was, with all this nightmare chaos of traffic going every possible direction, this girl IMMEDIATELY jumps out of her car that was half in the fast lane, backed into the media wall, had to hurdle car parts, and opened her back door and leaned in. If someone had hit her door, should would have become 3 pieces. Upper part, and 2 legs. She looked like she was 17. I would imagine there must have been a baby in the back seat she was risking her life for. Yet if the baby had been in a car seat, it was safer than she was. She should have waited a minute til the traffic settled down, or crawled through the car. But right in the middle of this chaos she jumped out ... it added mayhem to chaos. It was unbelievable.

Daily Atlanta traffic. 80 mph riding each other's bumper not matter the conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-26-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Dirk - My son and I were driving south through Atlanta Saturday evening about 6 pm on I-285. My son was driving, we were in his G35 coupe. I reminded him a couple times to back off other cars (and he mostly did stay back, just a couple instances that made me leary), because it was raining hard in areas. I told him I believe most crashes root cause were from cars riding too close and having to jam on brakes and swerve when they find cars inches ahead braking.

5 minutes later a young black girl spun her Altima around and backed it into the median wall. Cars EVERYWHERE all piling up on her, people swerving this way and that barely missing each other, looked to me like if we didn't get out of there we would be piled into the back of. Luckily my son didn't panic he just picked his way through carefully. I hate to think what might have transpired behind us after getting through it. But the worst part of it all was, with all this nightmare chaos of traffic going every possible direction, this girl IMMEDIATELY jumps out of her car that was half in the fast lane, backed into the media wall, had to hurdle car parts, and opened her back door and leaned in. If someone had hit her door, should would have become 3 pieces. Upper part, and 2 legs. She looked like she was 17. I would imagine there must have been a baby in the back seat she was risking her life for. Yet if the baby had been in a car seat, it was safer than she was. She should have waited a minute til the traffic settled down, or crawled through the car. But right in the middle of this chaos she jumped out ... it added mayhem to chaos. It was unbelievable.

Daily Atlanta traffic. 80 mph riding each other's bumper not matter the conditions.
    It didn't help it it only just started really raining on Saturday unlocking all the oil and pollen from the highways, making for such slick roads. It's rare I'm not on 75 or 285 or 20 and there isn't a wreck in this town. I'm sick of Atlanta. I loved living in Buckhead in the early 2000s especially since, at the time, I was working in the club scene and making great $ and having fun. That all changed after the Ray Lewis murder, the Buckhead wild west days were over after that lol. I'm burned out on this town, still too dangerous for driving, too many out of towner yuppies moving in and pushing working class people out, Atlanta Metro area getting less and less affordable, still a lot of crime, etc. Our drivers have got to be in the top 5 most idiotic around the country. That's why I'm getting like 33mpg on the hwy, I have to stay at 3600 rpms just to go with the flow aka doing 75 in the far right lane or get bullied dangerously by tailgaiters.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2020 ES 5 Speed turns 3500 at 70 mph and averages 45 mpg.