Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New roadtrip in the G4, much better hwy mpg than my 2014 hatch!!!!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

New roadtrip in the G4, much better hwy mpg than my 2014 hatch!!!!

Well drove from Atlanta to Charleston SC yesterday with my wife. We have the exact same tire and wheel on the G4 as on my 2014 hatch. I manually checked the mpg from Atlanta to Columbia SC and even factoring the 2.2% in revolutions on the larger tire we still netted 38mpg! And this is with me doing 70 to 75 mph the whole way with a lot of rolling hills in between. Meanwhile doing the same speed on the hwy is netting me 27 to 30 mpg on my 2014 hatch. I'm starting to think it's engine related?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-10-2021)

Manually checked meaning hand calculated? You'll probably see better economy on a long trip rather than a bunch of short ones. Maybe green paint is worse for fuel economy? That or the chrome gas door and hood bra?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-10-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Manually checked meaning hand calculated? You'll probably see better economy on a long trip rather than a bunch of short ones. Maybe green paint is worse for fuel economy? That or the chrome gas door and hood bra?
    Yes hand calculated lol. Doesn't matter really as long as my hatch still runs I suppose. These really are tough little $hitboxes. When I driving uber part time, I put a hard 30k miles on my 2014, horrendous stop n go traffic, 3 adult passengers with luggage doing 75 mph to the airport, constant slamming of my doors, potholes from hell, etc. If I had did all that in a Sonic I guarantee there would of been some CEL issues lol. I'm going to laugh my ass off if you end up putting another 200k trouble free km on your black Mirage Fummy! And I bet you will too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Well drove from Atlanta to Charleston SC yesterday with my wife. We have the exact same tire and wheel on the G4 as on my 2014 hatch. I manually checked the mpg from Atlanta to Columbia SC and even factoring the 2.2% in revolutions on the larger tire we still netted 38mpg! And this is with me doing 70 to 75 mph the whole way with a lot of rolling hills in between. Meanwhile doing the same speed on the hwy is netting me 27 to 30 mpg on my 2014 hatch. I'm starting to think it's engine related?
    How heavy is your foot? You said you already replaced your drums, so I wonder if you're more speedy and brakey than me.. cause that's the way it is in your area driving ...since I know that the Atlanta area, I saw it as a kid, your freeways has like 14 lanes of traffic.

How fast is the speed limit? These days it's so fast in Flint now compared to the old days in upstate NY... where you get a speeding ticket after 2 miles over 55 mph is what I heard before my one trip.

If my digital fuel economy gauge on my dash is 10% accurate to the actual fuel economy, in 7 years driving my Mirage, doing mostly country driving, I bet I average around 5 L/100 kms or around 43 MPG or maybe better honestly. Going 85 km's an hour steady in my Mirage and I get great MPGs. I think it's set and setting so to speak.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-10-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Brake job came soon after I got the car. I do keep up with the flow of traffic so I'm usually @ 3k rpms in both our Mirages on the hwy. I'm just trying to figure out what's the difference in mpg even though I drive both the same. Atlanta is a dangerous town to drive in, I mean f#cking DANGEROUS! A lot of idiots in this town that hate their blinkers and are usually 15 over. Lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Dirk, have you had this TSB done on your hatch? It improved my torque converter lockup throughout the rpm range and was noticeable in stop and go type traffic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Brake job came soon after I got the car. I do keep up with the flow of traffic so I'm usually @ 3k rpms in both our Mirages on the hwy. I'm just trying to figure out what's the difference in mpg even though I drive both the same. Atlanta is a dangerous town to drive in, I mean f#cking DANGEROUS! A lot of idiots in this town that hate their blinkers and are usually 15 over. Lol
    The freeway speeds just eat up MPGs for breakfast. My Mirage gets the best gas mileage when I'm going at about 3/4 of freeway speeds... so I get the good numbers on 2 lane highways, in the summer, and being in no rush gets me the optimal fuel economy numbers.

Stop and go traffic hurts my mpgs, stop and go freeway traffic never helps.

I was also going to mention that the 5 speed manual Mirages run at higher RPMs all the time. Not sure if I'm explaining or saying that right. But when you're at 3k rpm I'm at like 3800 rpm. Not sure if someone else can explain this point better.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Dirk, have you had this TSB done on your hatch? It improved my torque converter lockup throughout the rpm range and was noticeable in stop and go type traffic.
    Looks like it did in Nov 2017 not entirely sure.

Name:  Screenshot_20210410-151848_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1165
Size:  82.3 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Corresponding dates, sorry to wide for one pic. It look liked it go 2 ecu campaign reflashes in 2016 & 17.

Name:  Screenshot_20210410-151807_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views: 1179
Size:  89.2 KB

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    The freeway speeds just eat up MPGs for breakfast. My Mirage gets the best gas mileage when I'm going at about 3/4 of freeway speeds... so I get the good numbers on 2 lane highways, in the summer, and being in no rush gets me the optimal fuel economy numbers.

Stop and go traffic hurts my mpgs, stop and go freeway traffic never helps.

I was also going to mention that the 5 speed manual Mirages run at higher RPMs all the time. Not sure if I'm explaining or saying that right. But when you're at 3k rpm I'm at like 3800 rpm. Not sure if someone else can explain this point better.
    Yeah I should drive hatch on the hwy for longer than 20 mins to see for sure. I drive both Mirages the same though. I'll post results.