Thread: How do i go about disabling Hill Start Assist?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Question How do i go about disabling Hill Start Assist?

Go a 2019 Mirage 5speed, and by far the most annoying this I deal with is that stupid hill assist that actually is counter productive (to me anyway) hold on the brakes when I'm trying to go, but with the lack of torque and the car trying to hold itself I end up stalling or having to use a lot of clutch and throttle to get going. So trying to figure out how to disable it, whether that means pulling a fuse, or taking it to the dealer for them to disable it in the ecu. Any info on how to do this would be much apricated!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    Go a 2019 Mirage 5speed, and by far the most annoying this I deal with is that stupid hill assist that actually is counter productive (to me anyway) hold on the brakes when I'm trying to go, but with the lack of torque and the car trying to hold itself I end up stalling or having to use a lot of clutch and throttle to get going. So trying to figure out how to disable it, whether that means pulling a fuse, or taking it to the dealer for them to disable it in the ecu. Any info on how to do this would be much apricated!
    You may have to ask a dealer if they can do this for you & let us know. I don't know of anyone who has disabled the HSA on a Mirage.

HSA is most likely associated with the traction control system. I have seen procedures using the traction control button to disable HSA for Subaru & Jeep vehicles, but I have not seen the same for Mitsubishi.

For the Subaru, disabling HSA will leave a warning light on your dash. I would find that annoying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3OzZNPwBuk&t=16s

Here's a procedure for the Jeep -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2RRRSUEirE

I don't find the HSA feature on Forester or Mirage to be a problem, & I live in a somewhat hilly area. If I didn't want HSA to kick in, I could hold the vehicle with the hand parking braking. That would involved releasing the parking brake as you let out the clutch. That's how I would handle a steep hill start with a vehicle that doesn't have HSA.

You may have to search some more & see if you can find a procedure for disabling HSA with the traction control button. I haven't seen one at this point. If someone has an ETAC list, they can let us know if it's a feature that can be turned off, too.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-10-2021 at 05:04 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    A temporary fix would be to lift up on the emergency brake handle to quickly shut it off for the moment. At least that's what's been shared here in the past.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2021)