Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2021 owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    It can be done. When conditions are not unfavorable, my car runs a bit above 25km/L at 100km/h. At 55mph (89km/h) that will be 26~27km/L. So a full tank of 35L should bring me 910-945km, 565-589 miles. But that is a manual. A CVT is less economical.

@CrazyMind2017: make sure you have enough air in your tires. And indeed, a can of gas is not a bad idea. What if there is just no gas station after 500 miles? And bring some coffee. You'll be driving for almost 10 hours.
    Maybe with your 1.0L engine with a 5-speed manual it can be done, but I don't think it's happening @ 55 mph here with our Mirages (CVT or 5-speed manual).

Good luck trying, however! I don't mind being proved wrong. My feelings aren't easily hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have driven my Mirage 7 years now (last car payment is in 5 days).
    Woohoo!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-14-2021),MirageRally (04-13-2021)

Belated welcome, CrazyMind2017!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    I've driven the 2019 Honda CR-V or 2020 Chevy Spark. The Honda and Chevy have extra material in the dash that takes up space where I want to put my knee, making them rather unpleasant to drive.
    If you feel like it, maybe add your thoughts about the Spark here:
    Thread: Does anyone wish they had bought Chevy Spark instead?

I've yet to drive one, but would jump if the chance came up.

I know it's possible to flood the charcoal cannister from topping off the gas tank, but I'm curious how much can be pumped after the first click without overflowing.
    I always slow-fill the top of the tank, and stop after 3 clicks. (Every car I own.) I've never had a problem. Usual gas station is only about 5 km / 3 mi. from home.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    For $18k your Mirage better teleport to your destination instead.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Filled up the Mirage at the gas station for the first time today. Clicked at 8.267. I pumped exactly one additional gallon to finish at 9.267, then drove 46 miles home before pulling into the garage. That should prevent the charcoal cannister from soaking in liquid gasoline while parked. DTE as soon as I started the engine showed 490. By the time I got home it was down to 420. This is going to be a fun little car!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-13-2021)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Clicked at 8.267. I pumped exactly one additional gallon to finish at 9.267
    I've seen that jargon here before, 'clicked at', and assumed it meant the filler blocked because the petrol hit the nozzle. But in that case you can't add another gallon, at most a few hundred milliliters. So what does it mean?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    I've seen that jargon here before, 'clicked at', and assumed it meant the filler blocked because the petrol hit the nozzle. But in that case you can't add another gallon, at most a few hundred milliliters. So what does it mean?
    Can't? LOL Each car is a little different. 2013 Nissan Rogue would take 2.0-2.1 additional gallons. 1996 Camry would take 1.5-2.0 additional gallons. 2019 CR-V 1.75 additional gallons. 1986 Camry only 0.6 additional gallons.

2021 Mirage I got to 9.267 and decided to stop after having read here the day before the most anyone on this forum ever squeezed into the Mirage was 9.4XX gallons total.

I've never had an evap problem on any vehicle, but not for my failure to follow instructions from people who want me to spend less money on gasoline. I succeed in ignoring their directives at every turn in life. My lack of evap problems is not due to my lack of trying!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,422 Times in 1,029 Posts

Topper Popper Stopper

CrazyMind2017 - I was about to say, forget 500 miles, go for 400 miles. A more realistic challenge. I don't think I've hit 400 miles yet. But after hearing of you topping it off, maybe 400 miles should be doable fairly easy. But 500 miles, just forget about that, and enjoy what you will achieve. 375 miles is as far as I have gone on a tank so far.

I'm not one to poopoo anyone about topping off. On just about EVERY car I have and do own (I currently have 10 cars, 9 cars running and 1 totalled) I have topped off the tank until it is visible at the fuel cap and won't go down the filler neck any longer. I have never had a charcoal cannister problem. I have spent over a decade as a design engineer for Toyota & Hyundai-Kia. If a fillup can spill fuel in a charcoal cannister, an engineer will (have) find a way to stop it from happening. We don't live in the stone age. The charcoal cannister saturation horror stories might have been from the first couple years they existed in cars, but is a thing of the past if it ever was. Of course, some designs may be poor and allow some gas seepage to get in there. But what does gasoline do readily? It evaporates. Give it enough time and I bet a charcoal cannister will dry up and be fine.

The only cars I have that I haven't topped up to the fill neck is my Lexus LS 460L, and the Mirage. But ... I think I'm going to do it, and see how far I can get. However, even with my 5 speed, I don't think I could get 500 miles. I think 55+ mpg would have to be achieved. In my case, I don't think I could drive that slow for that long.

Post up a picture of your vehicle. One of the best looking Mirages I've seen on here was white with tinted windows and black wheels. It was white, and what wasn't white was black. It looked great. Course the new yellow Mirage looks awesome too. I'll stick with my cute little blueberry though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    400 should be a no-brainer. New cars typically don't get as high MPG on the first couple tanks during the break-in period right after being shipped from the factory, and most dealers don't top off the first fill either. My Mirage had 18.6 miles when I picked it up and I made it to 340.8 on the first trip to the gas station, so I got 322.2 out of it using only the gas provided by the dealer, who probably filled it up at 10-12 miles (without topping off) and then drove it around a little bit to get it to 18.6.

After I filled up yesterday and drove a little more than 46 miles home, the gauge is still indicating the tank is completely full. I'm already 10% of the way to 460 miles and the gauge hasn't even gone down to 7/8 yet, and that was without cruise control. 500 will definitely be achieveable with proper discipline, but that could mean reducing cruise control speed to 50mph. Assuming a fill-up of 9.260 gallons to start and burning exactly that amount during the trip, the car would have to sip at an average pace of 53.996 MPG, basically 54.0 give or take. The hardest part about it will be the total time involved. 500 miles at 50mph will literally take 10 hours, not a minute less. I don't doubt the car can do it. It's a question of whether I can!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Can't? LOL Each car is a little different. 2013 Nissan Rogue would take 2.0-2.1 additional gallons. 1996 Camry would take 1.5-2.0 additional gallons. 2019 CR-V 1.75 additional gallons. 1986 Camry only 0.6 additional gallons.

2021 Mirage I got to 9.267 and decided to stop after having read here the day before the most anyone on this forum ever squeezed into the Mirage was 9.4XX gallons total.

I've never had an evap problem on any vehicle, but not for my failure to follow instructions from people who want me to spend less money on gasoline. I succeed in ignoring their directives at every turn in life. My lack of evap problems is not due to my lack of trying!
    Your desire to get the most gas possible in your Mirage at the gas pump creates two concerns. The evaporation/charcoal canister is surely one concern. The other concern is the life of your fuel pump.

How to extend the life of your fuel pump -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxsCCSBngQ

I would find out how much it costs to have evaporation canister & fuel pump replaced on a Mirage, & then decide how important to know whether you can get 9.2 or 9.5 gallons of gas in the tank at the gas pump.

I know several members have run their Mirage empty without ruining their fuel pump, but we don't know if they have shortened the life of their fuel pump either. Like the mechanic shared in the clip, a well cooled fuel pump may go 200,000 - 300,000 miles.