Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New 2021 owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    Different kind of question for everyone here. Do you notice the Mirage, compared to other cars, sounds like it's suffering from hard starting? When I turn the key to crank it, it sounds a bit loud and takes about a second to a second and a half longer than I would expect to start the engine. I wonder if maybe I got a bad starter motor from the factory or if this is a normal condition for this vehicle? If the air/fuel mixture is different on the Mirage than other cars and this condition is intentional, that could explain it, but that would mean all Mirages sound this way on startup.
    I've never owned a 3-cylinder car before, but it has a unique little bit of a rubble start compared to other vehicles I have owned. I don't think anything of it. It's somewhere between my 2-cylinder diesel compact tractor & the boxer engine on my Forester. I think the Subaru boxer engine is a bit different than other 4-cylinders I have owned, too!

I wouldn't be overly concerned about your starter (covered under warranty for 5-years/60,000 miles).

Once the factory oil filter has been replaced, some members seem to think the noise is less noticeable. I don't remember noticing a difference.

I like the powertrain of the Mirage, & the engine noise is part of its charm!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (04-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Fummins fleet of Mirages, for the most part, seem to be holding up pretty good % wise, they're all CVTs. If he had a fleet of Versas I bet he would of just quit lol.
    Why quit a job of guaranteed employment? Haha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    The starter motor is loud. Kind of sounds like when the start motor hits the flywheel or flexplate that there is a lot of noise in that exchange as well. In an effort to keep the vehicle inexpensive (not cheap), Mitsubishi didn't spend a lot of money on refinement in this area. Not only is it loud, but it takes maybe 3/4's of a second to start. Which is not long but it's not particularly quick either.

On my Lexus (for example), I hear the motor hit the flexplate, but after that I do not hear any more starter noise and it quickly cranks. I just keep in mind that this is the result of a Mirage being so inexpensive ... corners were cut. And that's perfectly fine by me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (04-26-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I just keep in mind that this is the result of a Mirage being so inexpensive ... corners were cut. And that's perfectly fine by me.
    Agreed. It's not the noise or the length of time for starting that was bothering me. It was the fear that something was wrong with my particular unit. But as long as it's normal for this vehicle and I don't have to worry about it, I really don't care.