Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New 2021 owner

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    You're going to wind up on the side of the road!

But before you do, you're doing to be like Kramer, driving that car off the dealer lot and seeing how far he could go on E.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Mark (04-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    400 should be a no-brainer. New cars typically don't get as high MPG on the first couple tanks during the break-in period right after being shipped from the factory, and most dealers don't top off the first fill either. My Mirage had 18.6 miles when I picked it up and I made it to 340.8 on the first trip to the gas station, so I got 322.2 out of it using only the gas provided by the dealer, who probably filled it up at 10-12 miles (without topping off) and then drove it around a little bit to get it to 18.6.

After I filled up yesterday and drove a little more than 46 miles home, the gauge is still indicating the tank is completely full. I'm already 10% of the way to 460 miles and the gauge hasn't even gone down to 7/8 yet, and that was without cruise control. 500 will definitely be achieveable with proper discipline, but that could mean reducing cruise control speed to 50mph. Assuming a fill-up of 9.260 gallons to start and burning exactly that amount during the trip, the car would have to sip at an average pace of 53.996 MPG, basically 54.0 give or take. The hardest part about it will be the total time involved. 500 miles at 50mph will literally take 10 hours, not a minute less. I don't doubt the car can do it. It's a question of whether I can!
    You already changed one of the variables in your original bold claim -

"I'm looking forward to the end of the break-in period so I can top off the tank, set the cruise control to 55mph on the New York State Thruway, and try to get 500 miles from a single fill-up, all while thumbing my nose at Cuomo voters who are giving me the finger for driving so slow!"

Since you have owned your Mirage for a week now & apparently know more about the car than those who have owned the car for several years, which is it?

Can the Mirage do 500 miles on a tank @ 55 mph or 50 mph?

The bars on the gas gauge don't prove much. A bar tends to disappear when approximately a gallon of gas has been used up. Even when the 8th bar disappears, you probably have a good 1.5 gallons of gas left. I've done some long trips recently & have filled up when the last bar is flashing. Those fill ups have been around 7 gallons of gas. I do two clicks at the gas pump. I try to be consistent with that, because I like hand calculating my mpg @ the gas pump. It's not an exact measurement, but it gives me a good estimate. My Mirage tends to do 3-5 mpg better during the summer months verses the colder winter months.

Thus, I suggest doing those 500 miles on one tank this summer! Good luck with that, too!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I used the word "TRY" in that allegedly "bold" original claim.

After running it down to nearly empty yesterday and then filling it up at the gas station, I know more about the car now than I did when I made the original post. Ideas and knowledge evolve as new information becomes available.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

inuvik (04-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Check the mileage log for member 3dplane. He had a few tanks close to 600 miles?!? But he is a Mirage hypermiler Jedi Master...

Name:  yoda.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  38.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (04-14-2021),Eggman (04-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMind2017 View Post
    I used the word "TRY" in that allegedly "bold" original claim.

After running it down to nearly empty yesterday and then filling it up at the gas station, I know more about the car now than I did when I made the original post. Ideas and knowledge evolve as new information becomes available.
    I don't mean to discourage you either. I hope you go for it.

I don't like running my gas tank below a certain level. If I know my mpg for 8 gallons of gas, I can pretty much calculate how far I would have gone on 9 gallons. That's enough knowledge to cure my curiosity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (04-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't mean to discourage you either. I hope you go for it.

I don't like running my gas tank below a certain level. If I know my mpg for 8 gallons of gas, I can pretty much calculate how far I would have gone on 9 gallons. That's enough knowledge to cure my curiosity.
    We all have to pay attention to ourselves and introspectively understand what we ourselves are comfortable with and what we're not. For over 10 years now, I've made it a point to always travel 300 or more miles between fills on all vehicles I've owned. Until now, that always meant buying a minimum of 10 gallons. The Mirage is slightly different for me in that respect only, because it gets better MPG than anything else I've ever owned and the total capacity of the tank is less than 10 gallons.

Ultimately, I don't expect to run it down to near empty on every tank, but based on the numbers I've seen so far, I expect to maintain the minimum 300 mile distance per tank without having to use all 9.2XX gallons the tank and filler neck are capable of holding. In the long run, my typical fueling habits probably won't differ drastically from yours. I'm just pushing it to the extremes right now because I'm still learning the vehicle.

The 500-mile challenge is something to do for fun as a one-off, just to see if I can do it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CrazyMind2017 For This Useful Post:

Mark (04-14-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Instead of looking at the max miles you can get out of your Mirage's little gas tank, think of it like this: you're getting 40+ mpg's with a tiny tank, so you have to just fill up more because of this.

You're not filling up an F-150 with a 60 gallon gas tank... you're filling up a motorcycle-esque sized- gas tank, so you have to fill up "more", but you're still getting 40+mpg, not 20 mpg.

I drove from Mackinac City to Flint on one tank, that's almost 300 miles... so you could probably drive much farther on one tank in an F-150, but you're not getting the great MPGs. Apples to oranges, but good for perspective. Cheers eh

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Instead of looking at the max miles you can get out of your Mirage's little gas tank, think of it like this: you're getting 40+ mpg's with a tiny tank, so you have to just fill up more because of this.
    But I have OCD, LOL.

As long as I get a minimum 40 mpg consistently, that will be 320 miles for every 8 gallons purchased. So that's the ultimate goal for long-term results I'm looking for. Always keep a gallon or slightly more in the tank and always drive 300 or slightly more miles between fill-ups. I drive more highway than local miles, so it should be possible to achieve that all the time as long as I go easy on the pedal. At 38 mpg, that still gets 304 miles for 8 gallons.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Just for giggles, I averaged some interesting numbers.

300.4 miles average per fillup.
    7.121 gallons average per fillup.

I try to let tank run down a fair amount. But I don't prefer to fuel anywhere, or drive a distance to my preferred station / brand. Once I'm low enough and I'm in close proximity to my preferred brand, I stop and add dinosaur juice. I waste less fuel and time this way. So even if I'm not plum empty, but I'm driving by one of my stations, I may go ahead and juice up if I think it may be a while before I go near my preferred brand again.

Then there's the maximum mpg audits, when I stop before getting on the interstate, take my long drive and then juice up again at the end of the interstate drive. Just to see how it does on the interstate. Those things lower my average number of gallons per fill.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

CrazyMind2017 (04-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I'm kind on the other end of the spectrum for filling up. I always try to fill up around 1/2 tank. The reason for me is where I live (Southern Oregon Coast) is only 9 miles from the Cascadia Subduction Fault which has produced 9.0+ earthquakes on the average of every 250 years. It's been 321 years since the last 9.0+ in 1700. The current emergency management plan for this area is to be prepared to be without power for a minimum of 30 days. I use my 2 vehicles as fuel storage backup for my generators. Between the two I never fall below about 20 gallons / 75 Liters of available backup fuel along with the 5 gallons I keep in a separate gas can to fuel lawn equipment, etc...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Mark (04-15-2021),PityOnU (04-23-2021)