Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockauto rear shocks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Angry Rockauto rear shocks

I had an email alert set for the rock auto Monroe 5558 rear shocks. They freaking went out of stock 4 days after they emailed me. The drum brake hardware kits also sold out in 4 days.

Why is this **** never in stock?

also how do i know if i need new rear shocks? i was told mine are leaking but this is the only car ive ever owned, so i have no idea what they are suppose to do/sound like when not "broken"

Ive already tried the "bounce test" on the rear but i dont get excessive up and down bounces.

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well if they're leaking they'll likely only get worse, so they likely do need to be replaced. How many km do you have on them?

Not that my complaining is going to help, but the idea that replacement aftermarket shocks/struts are not easily available for these cars is simply beyond me. It's not like they sold 500 of these things and people don't need replacement parts. They've sold over 100,000 of them domestically, all will need shocks/struts at some point!!!

EDIT: Monroe 5558 looks to be found on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/p/20040835691
    Last edited by Subcompact Culture; 04-12-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-04-12 101827.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  51.0 KB

I just checked KYB's website, and this might be promising. This would be a front strut replacement for 2017+ Mirages using OE part number 4060A494.

I would still like to know the rationale behind why no aftermarket company offers both fronts and rears.

FWIW, I also own a 2007 Toyota Yaris. The rear shocks look very comparable. Just some comparisons via the Monroe website:

MONROE REAR SHOCKS
    Yaris = 5624
    Mirage = 5558

Yaris compressed length: 15.5"
    Mirage compressed length: 14.88"

Yaris extended length: 24.5"
    Mirage extended length: 23.86"

BOTH: Upper mount type: Stem mount - 2-3/8" stem length X 3/8"-16 thread

The question is are the rear eyelets similar sizes? I suppose I could go look at some point.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Im unsure if I have Original rear shocks at the moment as i bought the car used. But i currently have 82,000 km. The rockauto Monroe 5558 was 38 CAD. the Ebay listing you linked after currency conversion is 91 cad. Thats a big markup.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    Im unsure if I have Original rear shocks at the moment as i bought the car used. But i currently have 82,000 km. The rockauto Monroe 5558 was 38 CAD. the Ebay listing you linked after currency conversion is 91 cad. Thats a big markup.
    Well that sounds about time to get some new shocks. Sometimes later, but certainly within reason.

Well the eBay price is still probably a lot cheaper than going OE.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    If it's not an immediate problem for you, at least you can wait for a deal with a discount. In the meantime, drive it.

Can't do that with brakes though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    At least brakes are always in stock at rock auto. How do i tell if my rear shocks are bad?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    At least brakes are always in stock at rock auto. How do i tell if my rear shocks are bad?
    The bounce test. That and appearance (in your case.)

If someone claims your shocks are leaking fluid, that would be easy to spot just by looking at them - there'll be a stain of some sort. If they're dry, it might be someone was trying to sell you some shocks you don't necessarily need.

As with all troubleshooting over the internet, it's tough to tell from here. Care to post a picture of those leaky shocks?

Edit: I'd probably drive with the bad shocks. If you saw some of the cars I've driven, you'd understand. I've probably driven with questionable brakes too but can't tell others to do that. That wouldn't do.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-13-2021 at 01:14 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

So far the only leaking rear shock I’ve seen is on a Mirage with almost 500,000km. Had one in the shop the other day with a leaking front strut with close to 400,000km but it’s mostly used on gravel roads and beat to hell.

If it isn’t broke fix it until it is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    @eggman, When I looked i didn't see any obvious signs of fluid leaking but i get underbody car washes and dont drive much so that doesnt surprise me. Ive tried the bounce test and it feels normal but thats could also be because of how light the rear of our cars is.

Ive noticed that when stopped in the center lane waiting for an opportunity to make a left turn when moderately large vehicles, basically any SUV in the oncoming lane go past me at 60km/h the rear of my mirage rocks back and forth maybe a quarter of an inch to an inch. is this normal behavior?