Thread: axle nut - torque in the air, or on the ground?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

axle nut - torque in the air, or on the ground?

Planning ahead for my front wheel bearing job. I see the Mitsubishi service manual shows 199 ft/lbs torque for the axle nut. They also show a special tool (MB990767) to hold the hub from spinning while tightening. Of course, few of us are likely to own this tool. Wondering if it's ok to torque with the wheel on (weight of the car to hold hub from spinning), or jam a pry bar in between the studs? The latter is what I usually do on cars, but not sure if I should try it on these wheel studs. I'm used to old cars and heavy duty trucks.
    Tks!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Since the wheel bearings can easily be damaged if subjected to vehicle weight without the axel nut having being tightened, I would at least get the nut tightened as much as possible with whatever tools you have before lowering to the ground and applying the final 199 lb/ft torque. I would try to get at least 75 or 100 lb/ft using a pry bar between the studs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-15-2021)

I see the service manual also says to never use an impact to remove axle nuts.
    Attachment 20985

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

tomrad (04-15-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I see the service manual also says to never use an impact to remove axle nuts.
    Attachment 20985

Yeah, it probably doesn't matter. Seems most of what I find out I shouldn't do is what I did for years on cars with no problem anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You aren't putting them on with impact are you?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just realized my torque wrench only goes to 150 ft lbs. Good excuse to buy another one I guess.

Yeah, give it a couple uga duga's with the impact. Experts may disagree.
    Depending on what it is I often go by feel. Except wheel nuts, head bolts or something I have no idea about or haven't touched before.

I goofed up once torquing cam shaft caps(ohc) and used ft-lbs instead of inch lbs. It seemed a little too tight, as I pulled the threads out of the head....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just jack one side

Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Planning ahead for my front wheel bearing job. I see the Mitsubishi service manual shows 199 ft/lbs torque for the axle nut. They also show a special tool (MB990767) to hold the hub from spinning while tightening. Of course, few of us are likely to own this tool. Wondering if it's ok to torque with the wheel on (weight of the car to hold hub from spinning), or jam a pry bar in between the studs? The latter is what I usually do on cars, but not sure if I should try it on these wheel studs. I'm used to old cars and heavy duty trucks.
    Tks!

When I do any kind of front end work from bearings,axles or simple tire change I only jack up the side I'm working on. With the other wheel on the ground nothing spins. Some swear for some reason to have the whole front end up but I've been doing it this way for years and not once had an issue. Simple remedy

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yeah, give it a couple uga duga's with the impact. Experts may disagree.
    Depending on what it is I often go by feel. Except wheel nuts, head bolts or something I have no idea about or haven't touched before.

I goofed up once torquing cam shaft caps(ohc) and used ft-lbs instead of inch lbs. It seemed a little too tight, as I pulled the threads out of the head....
    You don't even need to make that simple error either, just buy a name brand torque from Amazon which is from a lot that was never tested for quality control. https://www.amazon.com/CRAFTSMAN-Tor...r&pageNumber=1

WAY too many bad reviews for a Craftsman.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)