Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scissor jack dimensions/replacement

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Question scissor jack dimensions/replacement

hello all,

When I bought my mirage used, the scissor jack provided was broken some of the threads on the threaded rod in the center are completely bent almost as if the jack was overloaded and failed. Does anyone know if a generic jack such as this one: https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-to...t/PA0008760530 would fit in the holder? Also does anyone know the load rating of the original jack?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Load rating of the OEM jack in my 2017 is 1550lb or 700kg, printed on sticker on the jack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,689 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    hello all,

When I bought my mirage used, the scissor jack provided was broken some of the threads on the threaded rod in the center are completely bent almost as if the jack was overloaded and failed. Does anyone know if a generic jack such as this one: https://www.princessauto.com/en/1-to...t/PA0008760530 would fit in the holder? Also does anyone know the load rating of the original jack?
    I paid $5 for a scissor jack at a junkyard. You may be able to find one that matches quite closely. If they have a Mirage in the junkyard, you may even find a perfect match.

You could always call them first & ask what they charge for one?

I have to believe almost any scissor jack would pick up a Mirage. Actually, the place I went to was pretty laid back. They just sent me out to their yard & let me search for the one I wanted. I just pulled one out that didn't even look used out a vehicle.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-18-2021 at 05:51 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I’m not concerned about lifting the car. I’m concerned about it not fiting in the holder under the drivers seat

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I’m not concerned about lifting the car. I’m concerned about it not fiting in the holder under the drivers seat
    That's why you take your car to junk yard & find one that fits. Just what I would do.

You did ask the load rating. Made it seem like a second concern.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'd recommend finding a slimmer scissor jack and just putting it in the spare tire well. It's deep, you'd be surprised what you can fit in there and still have your cargo mat flat. Plus it'd be easier to clean under there quickly and find stuff that falls down in that crevice. Otherwise go the junk yard way or order one from Mitsubishi for $900. They might give you a discount and knock it down to $750. (Kidding, f%ck Mitsu parts prices, biggest scam in the industry IMO)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-21-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'd recommend finding a slimmer scissor jack and just putting it in the spare tire well. It's deep, you'd be surprised what you can fit in there and still have your cargo mat flat. Plus it'd be easier to clean under there quickly and find stuff that falls down in that crevice. Otherwise go the junk yard way or order one from Mitsubishi for $900. They might give you a discount and knock it down to $750. (Kidding, f%ck Mitsu parts prices, biggest scam in the industry IMO)
    I must admit that I don't care for the jack being under the seat either, but it's staying there. The only time I would use it would be a flat tire change on the road.

I use some of that space around the spare, too. I store jumper cables there & a spare headlight.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-18-2021 at 05:49 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Update: I ended up buying the jack i linked, it fits perfectly in the holder: photos attached below, my only concern would be that this jack unlike the OEM one can't fit the jack point pinch weld within it(only the bottom of the pinch weld makes contact with the jack) im sure this is good enough to pickup the car but it may not be as safe as the OEM jack which prevents side to side motion of the jack. Id also like to point out that the OEM jack design is idiot proof as it prevents you from placing the jack anywhere that isnt a jack point as the car frame doesnt fit within the jacks cutout.Name:  IMG_1747.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  97.6 KBName:  IMG_1749.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  97.0 KB

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mohammad For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-01-2021),MetroMPG (11-21-2023)

Country
    Portugal
    Thanks

Smile

Update: I ended up buying the jack i linked, it fits perfectly in the holder: photos attached below, my only concern would be that this jack unlike the OEM one can't fit the jack point pinch weld within it(only the bottom of the pinch weld makes contact with the jack) im sure this is good enough to pickup the car but it may not be as safe as the OEM jack which prevents side to side motion of the jack. Id also like to point out that the OEM jack design is idiot proof as it prevents you from placing the jack anywhere that isnt a jack point as the car frame doesnt fit within the jacks cutout.Name:  IMG_1747.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  97.6 KBName:  IMG_1749.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  97.0 KB
    Hello! I have one exactly as yours but I think that is not the correct one, I noticed mine is bending the jack points, I think the OEM one do not support on the same place than ours. Here are the video that shows it. But my car came without spare tire and jack and OEM jack is just too expensive. I am thinking in made something with wood or so to avoid keep bending the metal. Any thoughts/ideas to avoid bending it while using aftermarket jack?

(3A92 59kW)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Space Star Intense 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by edPower View Post
    Hello! I have one exactly as yours but I think that is not the correct one, I noticed mine is bending the jack points, I think the OEM one do not support on the same place than ours. Here are the video that shows it. But my car came without spare tire and jack and OEM jack is just too expensive. I am thinking in made something with wood or so to avoid keep bending the metal. Any thoughts/ideas to avoid bending it while using aftermarket jack?
    It may be the depth of the slot that is causing the bending to happen? You should be able to rotate the top portion of that type of scissor jack. It may take a bar or large adjustable wrench to rotate it. The one in the pic is shown in the shallow slot position. Rotating it to the deep slot position may help?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-22-2023)