Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I've owned my Mirage for 85 months - 1 owner's time

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My Mirage has been a pretty good car, with some obvious drawbacks but overall nothing wrong with my car. The middle dash light is burnt out somewhere so the orange is only have glowing now. Not much I can do there. The paint is not as nice now, hasn't faded, more like chips over the years. A front bra would improve things for next time. I also wish I bought a paint stick when I got my car new. That and rubber mats all around.

Thanks MetroMPG my car has gotten over 40 mpg since new so it's sipping gas. I hope my new furnace sips gas too. I need more insulation. Anyway sorry I keep changing the topic to my house renos lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Eggman - Tis a matter of perspective. Taking $12k and dumping it on a car could be considered an unwise move (it's what I just did). When I could have let my $12k remain invested. I generally make 12% or greater per year on it. And what are car loans these days? 5%? I haven't had a car loan since ... 2009 or 2010. I'd rather pay 5% and earn 12%.
    Of course. Who wouldn't want to build their savings rather than give it away?

With an affordable car like the Mirage one can still get around, get to work, get groceries, etc. What does it matter if you get there in an expensive car or a cheap one? Does the difference lie in one's self esteem or confidence? Who's to say.

Once transportation needs are met it becomes easier to build savings. Comparing apples to oranges only goes so far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also the few times you need something bigger than the mirage splurge and get a in town uhaul or rent a pickup truck from home depot. The savings vs getting a larger vehicle is so much you can easily do this when the need arises.

The dealers definitely want to steer people to their crappy loans. They were willing to give me $500 if I signed up for their loan so they must make at least that much.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks!!

The less I have to spend getting to and from work, is more money in my pocket. And more money in my savings.

I'm actually doing a bunch of house stuff this month (new furnace is literally being installed right now, this morning.. & no AC unit; matching my Mirage).

7milesout I was paying 2.99% on my 84 month loan. Return on my investments is much better.. bull market with housing and the stock market right now.
    Awww to live somewhere where no AC is needed. Must be heaven. Each year Georgia's heat seems to be getting worse. In 50 years this place is going to feel like Indo-China with the jungle heat down here and bugs so big they could change the channel if they landed on your remote.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Bugs are bigger in Michigan than GA. Mosquitos have tiger stripes. Bigger stronger survive the cold. The heat wilts things away. Deer in GA look like weiner dogs compared to the deer in MI that look like moose.

When I moved to MI, I was shocked to see how much bigger the wildlife was. Even the friggin corn in MI grows to like 10 feet tall. In GA, the corn is about 5 or 6 feet tall.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-21-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Awww to live somewhere where no AC is needed. Must be heaven. Each year Georgia's heat seems to be getting worse. In 50 years this place is going to feel like Indo-China with the jungle heat down here and bugs so big they could change the channel if they landed on your remote.
    Isnt the Mirage built in Indo-China? See, you already have the perfect car.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-21-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Bugs so big they land on your remote, and change the channel?

We have snow on the ground today haha, so in Canada you do have to live with snow into April sometimes.

My friend in Labrador has winter weather that is practically sub-arctic, or like Sweden.

No AC in my house or car is actually considered a bit eccentric these days. But I think it's silly to have AC in Canada, when warm weather is so short lived. But I'm a sun loving guy, I already have a tan. May be different about things if I lived in GA.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Bugs so big they land on your remote, and change the channel?

We have snow on the ground today haha, so in Canada you do have to live with snow into April sometimes.

My friend in Labrador has winter weather that is practically sub-arctic, or like Sweden.

No AC in my house or car is actually considered a bit eccentric these days. But I think it's silly to have AC in Canada, when warm weather is so short lived. But I'm a sun loving guy, I already have a tan. May be different about things if I lived in GA.
    No AC needed here on the Oregon Coast either. 75F / 24C is a hot day here in the summer and we don't get too many of those.

Name:  temperature-graph.png
Views: 1285
Size:  20.5 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hope this response is ok even if not about the Mirage. If you have a problem with bugs, get some bird feeders. Birds eat bugs. I live on a creek/river. Bugs have always been an issue. This is my first year feeding birds, and while I can't say "84% less bugs" or some specific number, I can tell there's a lot less of them.

Make sure you don't let the squirrels get to it. There's bird houses ya can get that have a spring which senses weight. The weight of the squirrel will close the feeder. The weight of the bird won't. There's also bird feeders with cages around them. The birds can get through it, the squirrels can't.

I love squirrels, but they will hog all the bird food if you don't protect the bird house.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Danny - Are you suggesting to attract birds to the area around your vehicles? While that's not a bad idea, I had a bunch of birds recently that must have stopped off at the local buffet and came over and blew it all out on my vehicles. I didn't get a couple of them washed quick enough, and their ... poo, damaged the clear coat of at least one car. I had no idea bird poo could do so.

So maybe trading one problem for another.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)