Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I've owned my Mirage for 85 months - 1 owner's time

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

I've owned my Mirage for 85 months - 1 owner's time

As some people on the Mirage Forum know already, I have my Mirage all paid off as of last week.

My thoughts overall: engine works great. I feel like the engine has a lot of life left. Now sitting at 148,000 km's. My car steers perfect, and responds the same as day 1, alignment is good, and the 5 speed manual has kinda gotten worked in better over the years. Like a baseball glove.

I toss and turn about wanting a bigger car, but with my hatchback I can get a lot of stuff in it over the years. Free lumber, Dancy freezer, luggage, groceries.. 18' fold up weber ladder. Fits in with the hatch closed.

I have come close to breaking glass with packing in so much stuff. Tight squeeze makes it more interesting. Has its limits though.

You have to make more than one trip with your Mirage sometimes.

Negatives: tires seem to be less common for sure, and I feel like I need new tires every 2 years. We will see how things span out with my new winters doing half the yearly driving now. I'm easy on my braking and I don't go more than 90 km's an hour most of the time.
    Name:  20210112_162601.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  91.0 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    As some people on the Mirage Forum know already, I have my Mirage all paid off as of last week.

Negatives: tires seem to be less common for sure, and I feel like I need new tires every 2 years. We will see how things span out with my new winters doing half the yearly driving now. I'm easy on my braking and I don't go more than 90 km's an hour most of the time.
    I don't feel tires are a Mirage issue any more.

I've been very impressed with how well my Nokian Nordman 7 snow tires have held up the past 4 winters. If you are planning to use your new snow tires year round, you're just shortening their life. They will wear out extremely fast!

In the States, new more affordable 165/65r14 tire options (Federal, Nexen, Vredestein, & Kumho) have appeared in recent years. A person can also choose to use 175/65r14 tires (numerous options available), & some of those come with 60,000-80,000 mile warranties.

The best vehicle is one that's paid for & still going strong!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-18-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thats great i am sure you will get many more miles out of it.These are unbreakable little cars.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wolf For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-18-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    To Mark: I took my winter tires off last Thursday. I keep my winter tires on my original steelies. Then in the summer I have my used 2016 SE alloys on my car, with my used set of dunlops. 2 sets of tires and rims for my car.

I cleaned my alloys with a big sponge yesterday.

To Wolf: My Mirage is a tough little car for sure. I have driven into a few giant potholes accidently, and some other adventures, my car has held the test of time.

Some of the piano black stuff on the dash and the handbrake have faded from the sun. Not much any car can do about that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Mark (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Happy to hear your review and l also concur that the mirage is a tough vehicle.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    To Mark: I took my winter tires off last Thursday. I keep my winter tires on my original steelies. Then in the summer I have my used 2016 SE alloys on my car, with my used set of dunlops. 2 sets of tires and rims for my car.

I cleaned my alloys with a big sponge yesterday.
    Sounds like a good plan. I like using up old tires during the summer months, too! Plus, they are probably a little more LRR when worn down.

I still need to pull the snow tires off my Forester, but I don't want to jinx things & make it snow!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2021),MirageRally (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Congratulations dspace9 on reaching this milestone. Just imagine how your savings account will grow. You can now save your money to buy your next vehicle outright without borrowing money and paying the interest on the loan. That’s winning twice. That money is yours, and you work hard for it. With focus and discipline you can really grow your savings. And that’s what the Mirage is so good at (too bad more drivers don’t look at it this way.) Having goals makes it easier to save up. Tires and other consumables are minor concerns by comparison.

Here’s to many more years for you and your Mirage. Drive safe.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2021),MetroMPG (04-19-2021)

Congrats on paying off your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Congrats! nothing beats paying off a car early. Hoping to get mine payed off sooner than listed. 4 years as of right now.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Griff151 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Congratulations dspace9 on reaching this milestone. Just imagine how your savings account will grow. You can now save your money to buy your next vehicle outright without borrowing money and paying the interest on the loan. That’s winning twice.
    Dspace9 - Much respect to you. I actually think your car (our Mirage's in general) looks somewhat tough, with the steel wheels uncovered. I don't know what it is. They look like a junkyard dog, rough and tough. But whatever. Glad to hear your car seems to be in great shape after 85 months. That is impressive, especially in your neck of the snow. I sometimes consider selling my truck and just making the Mirage to fully be my little truckster. Pulling my little 5'X10' trailer, I could haul as much as I think I would ever need to. I believe it could get the job done. But I've got a 20+ year love affair going on with my truck and it's been paid for, for 18 years ... why sell it?

Eggman - Tis a matter of perspective. Taking $12k and dumping it on a car could be considered an unwise move (it's what I just did). When I could have let my $12k remain invested. I generally make 12% or greater per year on it. And what are car loans these days? 5%? I haven't had a car loan since ... 2009 or 2010. I'd rather pay 5% and earn 12%.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-19-2021)