Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: I've owned my Mirage for 85 months - 1 owner's time

Neat. I bought my first place in 2013. I wouldn't have been approved with today's mortgage rules. I pulled a down payment out of my hoop. Dealt with a mortgage broker to get pre-approved and whatnot. Only dealt with the bank directly to set up my payments since I dealt with a different bank and didn't want to switch all my banking over to stupid Scotia.

My current mortgage is up for renewal in about 2 years so rates I assume rates will probably go up to 4-5% by then, then drop shortly after lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'm watching a new Canadian show, "Kim's Convenience". Its not "Kids in the Hall" but its pretty good. I think Canada's greatest export is comedians. Is it true every thing has to be written in French and English? I thought the English beat the French to control Canada? Fun fact, the only time Americans and Canadians fought against each other, the Canadians won overwhelmingly during the war of 1812.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-25-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Is it true every thing has to be written in French and English? I thought the English beat the French to control Canada?
    Yes it's completely retarded in my opinion. There's french on everything you buy here it seems.

I have a frenchy brother in law, him and his family moved to Alberta when he was a kid. He's got quebecer accent, his parents just speak incoherent flemy garble. Him and my sister put their kids in frenchy school for some stupid reason. I see zero benefit unless they want to get a job sitting at a national park gate kiosk selling park passes for a living.

Bah humbug.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (06-25-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm watching a new Canadian show, "Kim's Convenience". Its not "Kids in the Hall" but its pretty good. I think Canada's greatest export is comedians. Is it true every thing has to be written in French and English? I thought the English beat the French to control Canada? Fun fact, the only time Americans and Canadians fought against each other, the Canadians won overwhelmingly during the war of 1812.
    Jim Carey movies, and John Candy movies. Space balls and Uncle Buck. And the fact SNL is run by Lorne Michaels. The show I think you would like next is Mr D., or Corner Gas, my personal favourite. Getting told my spelling's incorrect.

My American side of my family was originally from Quebec, but going back like 200 years before the Napoleonic code. They stopped speaking French from moving to the states. So my Grandpa had an American buffalo accent and my grandma 100% Scottish. I don't know the whole story.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Jim Carey movies, and John Candy movies. Space balls and Uncle Buck. And the fact SNL is run by Lorne Michaels. The show I think you would like next is Mr D., or Corner Gas, my personal favourite.
    Jared Keeso is the latest. Shoresy is getting a spinoff series of his own.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Being called a foreigner when one is a foreigner is not racist. My guess is the parent(s) may have thought it not polite to yell out the obvious and make an even bigger spectacle than your presence alone.

I find it intriguing and refreshing when innocent minds just come right out with something that crosses their minds that, over time, adults have gotten their panties all in a bunch about.

I think I would bust out laughing if some little kid (any race) pointed at me and yelled, "SHREK!" The kid is not trying to offend and I'm not easily offended, it's just what his innocent mind thinks.
    Yeah, I will agree that I wasn't offended. I just kind of chuckled at the spectacle and was satisfied with having a good story to tell.

"Racism" is probably a strong term for what it was. Just stereotyping, maybe? It's difficult to describe. Maybe lack of inclusion? These terms are, unfortunately, too politically charged these days to be used in civil discourse.

Basically what it boiled down to is that China, in general, is a monoculture. Very different from somewhere like the United States. The average person over there doesn't often deal with people who are different, so it is of note when they see a white dude walking down the street, and they don't typically have a lot of practice not doing the whole Austin Powers' mole thing. Taiwan was similar (for some reason, people there are particularly bold with staring when sitting on a scooter, which is very odd).

I think if I was living off in the jungle somewhere and only coming into town for supplies it would have been a different story. But I was living in downtown Beijing, so stuff like that happened all the time (population density, and all that).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Stood out as a tourist, simple and innocent as that. Kids say the darndest things. I have a few friends who taught english in HK and south korea years ago, I would have stood out myself for being so tall. I have heard they have things like litter under control.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Stood out as a tourist, simple and innocent as that. Kids say the darndest things. I have a few friends who taught english in HK and south korea years ago, I would have stood out myself for being so tall. I have heard they have things like litter under control.
    They have armies of little old ladies whose job it is to clean the streets.

I've had to teach many of my Chinese colleagues not to throw litter out the windows of their car when they come here. They thought America had the same thing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-26-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That adopt-a-highway thing never really picked up around here either. It's too dangerous for one thing. I have learned many things from many people from different countries and walks of life, and the international Mirage Forum is no different

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Congratulations on paying off your Mirage! That's awesome!