Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I've owned my Mirage for 85 months - 1 owner's time

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    It's not Californians as much as it is tech workers, and the disproportionately high salary we earn when compared to other fields. Not too difficult to justify dropping $2M for "just the right" house when you earn $250K+ each year. From there you just apply basic supply and demand. Regular folks get priced out pretty quick.

Be prepared for a mild equalization to occur across most major metropolitan areas in the USA now that COVID has lasted so long and has emboldened tech workers to push for remote work and thus live wherever they want.
    Wow you make $250k a year? You could own a whole fleet of Mirages!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-24-2021)

Unfortunately, people leaving the big cities, having sold their million+ dollar houses, are distorting the markets in the smaller places they're moving to. My small city (pop. 20k) is seeing the effect, with prices up 25-50% in a year. It's not unusual to see a $200k bungalow go for $100k over the asking price. The locals trying to buy aren't happy with the situation, but the real estate agents sure are having a field day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,430 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Real estate agents, pfffff ... let's not get started going down that path. I think they're worse than used cars salesmen. Woops, started down that path. Just ignore me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-24-2021),MetroMPG (06-24-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Real estate agents, pfffff ... let's not get started going down that path. I think they're worse than used cars salesmen. Woops, started down that path. Just ignore me.
    My real estate agent saved me and the ol' lady a **** ton of money when we both sold our houses. Saved us probably 30k(I really have no idea but it was a lot) in commission then when we bought our current house, it was for sale by owner. They got the sellers to give them some commission then he turned around and gave it to us minus his agency fees. He's my favorite father in law thus far.

My dad used a friend of the family real estate agent that my grandfather insisted they used. The guy already had a buyer lined up for the house and made a killing. Didn't cut anyone a break and charged full blown dickhead commission.

Is it just me or does the title of this thread sound awfully specific? I'm almost ready to celebrate my 475th month of breathing air.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-24-2021 at 07:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-24-2021),MetroMPG (06-24-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The way I see the real estate bubble: if some schmuck is willing to pay me $300,000 for my $75k old bungalow, I'll take that money.

Same with my Mirage, if used cars in the States are selling for big bucks, I'll sell my car stateside now that I'm fully vaxxed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    if some schmuck is willing to pay me $300,000 for my $75k old bungalow, I'll take that money.
    And where are you going to live then?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    In the Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-24-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    That nails it there ya.

All the other houses have also gone way up in value too. So when I move, I will have to pay way more for my new house. I am actually just gonna sit on my house for now. Building new is another idea but it's a lot of money.

I wouldn't mind moving somewhere far away, I was thinking of moving to BC and renting my house out as an income property.

Maybe move abroad, and take up the high life in Monte Carlo or the Canary Islands.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I wouldn't mind moving somewhere far away, I was thinking of moving to BC and renting my house out as an income property.
    I hear prince george is really nice to live lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That nails it there ya.

All the other houses have also gone way up in value too. So when I move, I will have to pay way more for my new house. I am actually just gonna sit on my house for now. Building new is another idea but it's a lot of money.

Maybe move abroad, and take up the high life in Monte Carlo or the Canary Islands.
    Honestly, if your life/personality allows for it, with an average amount of saving you could probably retire to an south/east Asian country and live comfortably for the rest of your life. I lived in China for some time and, assuming your a fairly self-sufficient person, it's actually quite fun because it's totally different from western culture and therefore new and stimulating for our little monkey brains.

The real pain in the butt is just the language barrier.