Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I've owned my Mirage for 85 months - 1 owner's time

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    No AC needed here on the Oregon Coast either. 75F / 24C is a hot day here in the summer and we don't get too many of those.

Attachment 21023
    I'd love to live in the North West, cool temps, overcast, legal weed, but I couldn't afford the cost of living up there (thanks Californians) hell even living in the Atlanta metro area has dramatically gotten more expensive since I was in my 20s or 20 years ago lol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Yah, the housing market is pretty tight down here. The job market is red hot here. Lots of jobs in caregiving. Lots of seniors retire to the coast and need in home care.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Yah, the housing market is pretty tight down here. The job market is red hot here. Lots of jobs in caregiving. Lots of seniors retire to the coast and need in home care.
    Oh I've hung up my CNA days and just got thru Phlebotomy school to work in a blood lab or I might be a traveling phlebotomist. What they pay CNA's, for the amount of training and state testing they go thru including a physical skills test that is timed, is total bs. Hospitals, LTCs, hospice are always crying about a shortage of certified nurse aides but don't want to pay a living wage for very stressful work. Anyone who calls this "low skill" labor and undeserving of a decent wage has never had to deal with 1 CNA to 20 patients in a ward or ambulate a 300lb paraplegic into their wheel chair or constantly be monitoring for infections, bedsores, and their physical well being and be the first to shoulder the blame from lawsuits if something does go wrong. I'm glad I put my time in it though, I learned a lot about working in health care, the good and the bad. I will say this though, if your old and alone with limited funds and no one to take care of you, it's hell.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-23-2021),Eggman (05-04-2021),inuvik (05-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'd love to live in the North West, cool temps, overcast, legal weed, but I couldn't afford the cost of living up there (thanks Californians) hell even living in the Atlanta metro area has dramatically gotten more expensive since I was in my 20s or 20 years ago lol.
    It's more doable with a Mirage or in your case, two.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    What they pay CNA's, for the amount of training and state testing they go thru including a physical skills test that is timed, is total bs. Hospitals, LTCs, hospice are always crying about a shortage of certified nurse aides but don't want to pay a living wage for very stressful work. Anyone who calls this "low skill" labor and undeserving of a decent wage has never had to deal with 1 CNA to 20 patients in a ward or ambulate a 300lb paraplegic into their wheel chair or constantly be monitoring for infections, bedsores, and their physical well being and be the first to shoulder the blame from lawsuits if something does go wrong. I'm glad I put my time in it though, I learned a lot about working in health care, the good and the bad. I will say this though, if your old and alone with limited funds and no one to take care of you, it's hell.
    I generally disagree with you about weed and anything related to legalizing drugs. However, I agree 100% with the above. My wife is in a related field. She does a tremendous amount of physical work, she does an invaluable service for old codgers to give them something to do in their day to break up their hell (as you say ... and I agree with). She does it for peanuts compared to what I do. I use my brain but make roughly 5X what she makes. What she does is worth so much more.

If weed were to be legalized, it should be legal for cancer patients, maybe other kinds of very painful diseases, and old codgers in general 65 and older. I've never touched a drug. But ... once I retire, I'm going to find one of those funny cigarettes that is as big as my arm, and work on it from time to time until my lips get burnt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (06-23-2021),Dirk Diggler (06-23-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    If weed were to be legalized, it should be legal for cancer patients, maybe other kinds of very painful diseases, and old codgers in general 65 and older. I've never touched a drug. But ... once I retire, I'm going to find one of those funny cigarettes that is as big as my arm, and work on it from time to time until my lips get burnt.
    No big deal up here in Canada, you can even fly across the country with your wacky tobaccy. Up to like such-and-such amounts on the plane, but I think it's more important to the authorities that you be discretionary and polite about it.

Not flash and burn your your blunts on the plane, like that snoop dogg movie Soul Plane. Next to your cuban cigars.

The signs at the airports say the new rules, with travelling with your cannabis, but I always worry if we get engine malfunction over North Dakota what will happen to me. Is this a 60 minutes special waiting to happen. When the US DEA gets me for flying in their skies, with my well-packaged spliffs all hand-rolled. I'm not willing to risk it. They don't mention this scenario in the new rules. So I can live without for my vacations.

At the swanky resorts out west in the mountains, they have designated "smoking" areas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I always worry if we get engine malfunction over North Dakota what will happen to me. Is this a 60 minutes special waiting to happen. When the US DEA gets me for flying in their skies, with my well-packaged spliffs all hand-rolled. I'm not willing to risk it.
    This made me LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (06-23-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    I generally disagree with you about weed and anything related to legalizing drugs. However, I agree 100% with the above. My wife is in a related field. She does a tremendous amount of physical work, she does an invaluable service for old codgers to give them something to do in their day to break up their hell (as you say ... and I agree with). She does it for peanuts compared to what I do. I use my brain but make roughly 5X what she makes. What she does is worth so much more.

Connecticut just voted to end pot prohibition. That pushes us to almost 50% of states either decriminalizing or full out legalizing for medical or adult use. The winds of change are blowing my friend! Hell even 50% of Republicans think it should be legal lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    This made me LOL. Thanks for the chuckle.
    Good stuff!

I saw a convertible Metro in Sarnia just now, minutes after getting my second shot. Rag top Metro was in good shape, blue with the graphics. The factory graphics were fading, but still a rare car to see scooting around.

Edit sorry I should mention the Metro was driving around, top down.
    Last edited by dspace9; 06-23-2021 at 05:10 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's not Californians as much as it is tech workers, and the disproportionately high salary we earn when compared to other fields. Not too difficult to justify dropping $2M for "just the right" house when you earn $250K+ each year. From there you just apply basic supply and demand. Regular folks get priced out pretty quick.

Be prepared for a mild equalization to occur across most major metropolitan areas in the USA now that COVID has lasted so long and has emboldened tech workers to push for remote work and thus live wherever they want.