Thread: Universal Coilover

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Universal Coilover

Hi there!

Just want to know if anyone had tried using a universal coilover with their mirage?

like this:
    Name:  maxresdefault.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  97.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As long as it fits in the existing spring seats, there's no reason it shouldn't work. They're just springs. Not rocket science or anything. Hell, if you know the dimensions you can have a spring shop (apparently they exist) just make you whatever length/strength you want.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (04-20-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    but i have a question, though it can be installed at the front how do we install it at the back?

since the shock and spring is seprated at the back, how will it be installed? any idea would be great.

here's a screenshot of a vid i saw in YT using the universal coilover sleeves on a toyota wigo.. but these are sleeves right? is this safe setup?

Name:  Screenshot_20210420-134026_YouTube.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  83.9 KB
    Last edited by mitsumi; 04-20-2021 at 05:43 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The springs in the rear sit between what can be thought of as two cups. As long as the distance between the two cups is less than the length of the spring, the spring will stay in place simply because it is too long to jump out of either one of the cups. The maximum distance that the two cups will ever be apart is determined by the maximum extension length of your rear shocks.

If you want shorter springs and don't want them to potentially fall out while you are driving, you will need to get shorter shocks as well. Either that, or use a spacer (as appears to be the case in the photo). The latter will not reduce the ride height of your vehicle, though. That is, unless you are getting mega-soft springs.

That is just my understanding, though. Other more experienced members here are welcome to correct me if my understanding is wrong.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PityOnU For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (04-23-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Have we found a shorter rear shock yet? The Eibach springs aren't as short as that, but with some very simple prying tools, I can remove the rear springs without unbolting the shock.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dark Magenta For This Useful Post:

mohammad (08-29-2022)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    As long as it fits in the existing spring seats, there's no reason it shouldn't work. They're just springs. Not rocket science or anything. Hell, if you know the dimensions you can have a spring shop (apparently they exist) just make you whatever length/strength you want.
    Hi, I see it’s been a while since anyone has talked about these. I’m about to try to test and see if it works I’ve narrowed down the dimensions to 4.25” (107.95mm) in the front and 4.00” (101.60mm) in the rear. If anyone’s already did this an had success I’d love to hear about it. Any input is welcome as well