Thread: New Member Intro

Country
    American Samoa
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New Member Intro

Hello Mirage Owners,
    I have an older one, but still runs pretty darn good for its age and mileage..if I knew what it was now
    I have a 2000 4DR DE w/1.5L Auto Trans. Live in American Samoa, where parts are impossible to find.
    I cannot read the odometer any longer to see what sort of miles is on it, but well over 100K.
    Perhaps the bulb is burnt out, or other problem with the instrument panel.
    My biggest hunt has always been about the window delay...everyone says it doesn't have one, but this car will not allow to roll the windows down for a good 30 to 60 seconds. There is a little light that comes on in the door panel window switch...and I'd love to disable this feature...

The other problem I'm chasing down is the AC stopped working, but the compressor clutch will engage when you jump the relay. All the fuses are good, and relays have checked out okay. Am waiting to check the compressor ECU.

I could use a fuel neck filler for the Federal release car...which has several tubes on it over a regular filler neck.
    Anyway, it's been a great little car, and hope to keep it running for several more years yet.
    thanks all

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Hello tf43. Welcome to the forums. I used to be a design engineer for Toyota, then Hyundai-Kia. Part of my job at Hyundai-Kia was doing A/C audits and A/C research. Probably 90% or greater of A/C problems root cause was a refrigerant leak. And yours sounds the same.

There is a sensor on the low side line. If that sensor measures pressure below a certain threshold, the ECU will not engage the compressor. Again, 90% or greater reason the sensor would measure below a certain threshold is for a lack of refrigerant (from a leak).

In the grand scheme of things, the A/C system is not very complex. But it requires a few select tools and a thorough understanding of how it works in order to be proficient with repairing it. If you have an A/C repair shop, it would probably be the most effective route. However in the U.S., A/C repair is generally expensive.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-21-2021)

Country
    American Samoa
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post 7milesout...already check the pressures with my gauges, and tried jumping the low pressure switch as well.
    I can get the clutch to engage by jumping pins 1 & 3 on the relay, but not getting 12 volts to pin 2. Pin 2 of the condenser fan has 12 volts present, along with pin 1. Fuses are good too. Working on that issue with some other techs now.

What eludes everyone is this window delay issue I have. The power windows will not operate until the ignition has been turned on for at least 30 to 60 seconds...seems longer at times, but I'd really like to the windows to operate as soon as you put the key in the ignition and turn the thing on.