Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone seen P0458?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Has anyone seen P0458?

I just swapped my transmission and I'm getting that code before I even start the car. If I clear it, it comes back. From Google I know it's something with the evap system, but I'm not sure where to start digging in. There was an evap related sensor I'd forgotten to plug back in (on the silver riser next to the engine), but I'm still getting the code after plugging that back in.

Did you actually clear the code or just plug the sensor in and the code/cel is still present? It might go away on it's own, after a dozen starts or so. If not you'll have to actually clear it with a scanner or obdII $20 amazon thing that most people seem to have now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Did you actually clear the code or just plug the sensor in and the code/cel is still present? It might go away on it's own, after a dozen starts or so. If not you'll have to actually clear it with a scanner or obdII $20 amazon thing that most people seem to have now.
    I actually cleared the code, but it came back pretty quickly.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just an update, it's no longer starting. I can hear the fuel pump going, and it seems like when I'm first starting the car a cylinder or two fire, but after maybe 5 seconds of cranking it settles into a regular cranking sound.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How many miles did you get out of your original cvt? What year was the new CVT?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How many miles did you get out of your original cvt? What year was the new CVT?
    Roughly 120k on the original 2015, but the fluid was never changed by the original owners for the first 90k, and I think I did the first fluid change around then. Too little too late unfortunately, it always shifted a bit rough, and especially the last month or so. New one is a 2019 with 5k miles on it.

Probably flooded. Hold the throttle to the floor and try again. If it's bad enough you'll have to pull the plugs and dry them out then clean out the cylinders, (unplug the injectors and coils, hold it to the floor and crank it for a while). This is the most common problem I seem to have with these turds. Especially if I start a car cold and drive it into the shop, when I go to pull it out it'll often dump too much fuel upon start up and flood.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So now I'm getting both P0458 and P0113, and she's still not starting. I took the plugs out and left it overnight to clear the flood, and after putting everything back together this morning there's no change. Any other thoughts on what could be going on?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    A messed up IAT can certainly cause hard stating issues. If the computer thinks the air temperature is 90F but it's really 30F, then the engine isn't going to get enough fuel.

The absolute easiest way to check an IAT sensor is to look at your Scangauge (if you have one). When you first turn on the ignition on a cold car, the IAT and coolant temperature sensor should be reading close to the same temperature at that point. These sensors both work the same way (they vary their resistance based on the temperature)...

Name:  iat.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  48.4 KB

OK...so you don't have a Scangauge in your car. Then you can bust out a multimeter and check the resistance of the IAT sensor. Maybe check the MAF connector and make sure it's fully seated first.

Name:  iat2.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  81.4 KB

THIS guy had the same code and ended up replacing the MAF sensor...
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 04-22-2021 at 03:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    OK...so you don't have a Scangauge in your car. Then you can bust out a multimeter and check the resistance of the IAT sensor. Maybe check the MAF connector and make sure it's fully seated first.
    Resistance seems to be at the right level, and the connector is definitely fully seated.