Thread: new tire tread depth?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

new tire tread depth?

So I purchased a set of Kumhos from Wallyworld and they came in yesterday. The site says they are supposed to have 9.5/32nds tread depth with a full replacement warranty for the first 2/32nds. I took out my handy tread depth gauge and all the tires no matter where I measure only are 8/32nds tread depth.

Now maybe they can still hit their 60k mile with 8/32nds but am I missing something? This is 20% less than promised and depending on how the warranty department measure it could affect my warranty. Is it common for manufactures to round up on their advertised depth?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-TA3...Tire/887451784

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    So I purchased a set of Kumhos from Wallyworld and they came in yesterday. The site says they are supposed to have 9.5/32nds tread depth with a full replacement warranty for the first 2/32nds. I took out my handy tread depth gauge and all the tires no matter where I measure only are 8/32nds tread depth.

Now maybe they can still hit their 60k mile with 8/32nds but am I missing something? This is 20% less than promised and depending on how the warranty department measure it could affect my warranty. Is it common for manufactures to round up on their advertised depth?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kumho-TA3...Tire/887451784
    I can't say that I have ever pulled out a gauge & measured a new tire. Those who sell the Kumho Solus TA31 165/65r14 tires (60,000 mile warranty tire) all list them as having 9.5/32nd tread depth. Their website lists them the same. I sort of compared a few sizes, and the TA31 seem to be listed @ 9.5-10 for tread depth.

By comparison, their Solus TA11 tires (75,000 mile warranty) seem be listed at 10.5-11 for tread depth. Those aren't offered in a 165/65r14 size, however.

The Kumho Solus TA31 is one of better rated 165/65r14 tires with a 500AA rating, but UTQG ratings don't have strict standards I believe manufacturers have to follow. If Kumho Solus TA31 tires gave me about 15,000 more miles than a cheaper Federal SS657 tire, I may feel the added cost is worth it.

If we compared 165/65r14 Walmart tire prices today -

Federal SS657 (420AA) are approximately $50/tire
    Kumho Solus TA31 (500AA) are approximately $63/tire
    Falken Tires Sincera SN250A (320BB) are approximately $72/tire
    Nexen N'Priz AH5 (460AA) are approximately $75/tire
    Bridgestone Potenza RE92 (260AB) are approximately $108/tire
    Dunlop Enasave (340AB) are approximately $147/tire

My worn down pair of Federal tires have a claimed 10/32nd tread depth. Never measured them, however.

I bought a pair of Nexen tires last summer when I saw them on sale for $50/tire. They have a better rating & warranty than the Federal tires, but their tread depth is listed @ 9/32nd. Compared to the Federal tires, I wouldn't pay $75 for the Nexen. At $50/tire, however, I thought I would try a pair. I've only used them this past winter so far. My Dunlop & Federal tires are getting quite worn down (using them up this summer). I feel better having a pair ready to go if I need them.

You could return the Kumho tires, because they aren't the advertised tread depth. Not sure you would gain anything by doing that, however?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I can't say that I have ever pulled out a gauge & measured a new tire.
    It's probably worth it to check. Kumho told me to do a return through Walmart as this is bellow spec. Walmart said I could return or they would give me a 20% discount so I took the discount. Who knows if they all are bellow spec I didn't want to gamble with it.

I'm going to make sure to keep the pic so the replacement warranty is good down to 6/32nds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,712 Times in 2,123 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    It's probably worth it to check. Kumho told me to do a return through Walmart as this is bellow spec. Walmart said I could return or they would give me a 20% discount so I took the discount. Who knows if they all are bellow spec I didn't want to gamble with it.

I'm going to make sure to keep the pic so the replacement warranty is good down to 6/32nds.
    I would have taken the 20% discount, too. That drops them to about $50/tire, which a good deal for a decent 165/65r14 tire. I may have to buy a tire depth gauge! The tire size does limit options.

You'll have to let us know how you like them.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    On many tyre makers web pages, they actually state tread depth.
    On practically every tyre, the new tread is 7.6mm. (No idea how much that is in mediaval measures)

Some tyres have a treadwear rating figure on them. The higher the longer lasting. My winter tyres have "treadwear 400" for example. That means they last 4 times as long as some archaic reference tyre that works out to "treadwear 100" aka treadwear 100%.