Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I bought another car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Toe spec was zero for the 2000-2006 Honda Insight. (EPA rated 70 MPG US highway when new.) Honda let its engineers pursue efficiency more on that car than any other mass market car I know of.

That was my inspiration.
    Solid logic.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wouldn’t it be funny if Hyundai & Kia adopted zero toes? What would the world do then? Can’t be like Hyundai, that’s no good.
    They would if Toyota did. The first question a Hyundai engineer is trained to ask is, how did Toyota design it? It was an unbelievable experience.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

^ You guys are funny. I love the Toyota/Hyundai stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It’s a wonder why more manufacturers don’t specify zero toes - must have something to do with handling or something.
    That's my understanding - steering feel/responsiveness suffers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This thread reminds me I missed out on a rust free 2001 (I think) loaded convertible last year for $800. The day I was going to buy it my kid had a serious medical thing. It was a 1st come setup and I had to bow out. I'm still kicking myself about that car. It was going to be my summer cruiser. Oh well.

Hey, what's with the red Mirage? What happened to your silver 2014 you bought on the cheap?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Wally!

I sold the silver Mirage a year ago this spring and bought the red one last summer. Similar story: it's also an as-is special with slightly high kms and some cosmetic issues that was traded in to a new car dealer that wanted nothing to do with it. So I got a reasonably good deal on it.

I also have a '91 Firefly convertible! Low kms (110k) and it was well maintained, but the floors are rusted out. I got it about 10 years ago and was planning to eventually repair and drive it, but I ended up finding a 1990 Miata and repairing that instead. At some point, I will get around to selling the Firefly.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It's good to see everyone again. I had a struggle for awhile but things are now looking up. Your red Mirage is nice. I always figured when it came to buying a second Mirage I'd end up with a pink or purple, or the lime green. You know, people would be tired of their shiny ornament. So I ended up with gray. Meh. It's all good. I just fired it up and drove it around my neighborhood. Lots of cold air, everything works great. I love that car!

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-24-2021)

Banned
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hey. I know this is an old thread, but I just couldn't help but comment on your great find. That 1999 Pontiac Firefly (Chevy Metro) sounds like a real gem with only 109k miles on it! It's impressive how quickly it started up after sitting for so long. It's a shame about the underbody rust, but at least you'll have some excellent parts for your 1998 Firefly. That's a solid investment right there! I hope your friend's house provides a decent temporary parking spot while you figure out what to do with the two Fireflies. If you ever need to move them, you might want to consider using a car transport service, as that would be a safe and convenient option for relocating both vehicles. It's a good thing you found this rare piece, and being able to drive it away (even slowly) with the help of the parking brake is quite a story. Anyway, look forward to your future posts and seeing how things go with your Firefly collection.
    Last edited by HeavenHaynes; 06-21-2023 at 11:08 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HeavenHaynes View Post
    Hey. I know this is an old thread, but I just couldn't help but comment on your great find.
    No need to apologize for old threads! Lots of great old discussions that deserve another look!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    BAN HIM! I'm the only one allowed to dredge up old threads!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    No need to apologize for old threads! Lots of great old discussions that deserve another look!
    Some of the best stuff is in older threads. Makes sense, right? The Mirage was new with so much to discover.

I do not worry at all adding to a thread, no matter when it was first created.