Thread: Wrench Icon-First Timer Question/Help Needed

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Wrench Icon-First Timer Question/Help Needed

Hi all! I just purchased a 2015 Mirage ES with 25k miles on it after driving around a 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue for the last 6 years. With the change in vehicle comes a lot of new technology that I'm not familiar with, which includes the wrench icon on the dash.

I understand the wrench icon appears when scheduled/routine maintenance is needed (oil change, air filters, etc) but when I scroll through to see when exactly that needs to be done no date or mileage displays. The car had been sitting at a dealership for a few months before I bought it, but I checked the oil as well as engine and cabin air filters and everything looks to be okay. Is it possible the wrench was just never reset after last service?

I'm planning on changing the oil regardless just for peace of mind since it's been sitting but wanted to get input on the situation as well!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to oybee For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    It is highly likely the service reminder wasn’t reset. I have mine turned completely off in my Mirage & Outlander Sport. I track my own maintenance and don’t need the reminder. Here is the relevant thread how to reset or turn it off completely.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rvice-interval

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2021),Fummins (04-23-2021),Top_Fuel (04-24-2021)

I just turned that light off altogether as well. It's just an oil change light. I use oil change stickers on the work cars and my own. A ton of used Mirages listed for sale have pictures of the cluster with the wrench lit up on the cluster.

It's not a bad idea to change oil if you have no idea when it was last done.
    Last edited by Fummins; 04-23-2021 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Scratch that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    https://youtu.be/2oBfnBnQ_dc

great vid only a min long

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oybee View Post
    Hi all! I just purchased a 2015 Mirage ES with 25k miles on it after driving around a 2002 Oldsmobile Intrigue for the last 6 years. With the change in vehicle comes a lot of new technology that I'm not familiar with, which includes the wrench icon on the dash.

I understand the wrench icon appears when scheduled/routine maintenance is needed (oil change, air filters, etc) but when I scroll through to see when exactly that needs to be done no date or mileage displays. The car had been sitting at a dealership for a few months before I bought it, but I checked the oil as well as engine and cabin air filters and everything looks to be okay. Is it possible the wrench was just never reset after last service?

I'm planning on changing the oil regardless just for peace of mind since it's been sitting but wanted to get input on the situation as well!
    Unless you accidentally hit the button more than once when resetting it, the wrench icon comes on every 7,500 miles. I change oil/filter every 5,000 miles. One maintenance schedule is 3,750 miles & the other is 7,500 miles recommended oil/filter change interval. I just do what I feel is good for my Mirage. Not saying it's the best practice.

I just ignore the wrench icon, & I also put a reminder sticker on my windshield. I am not even sure why I do that, because I keep on schedule (doing my last two oil/filter changes @ 40,000 & 45,000 miles). I just reset the wrench icon when it shows up (like shown in the clip given in post #4).

Cabin air filters are relatively small on the Mirage. I've been in the habit of checking it during each oil change (every 5,000 miles). Sometimes I blow them out with an air compressor, & other times I replace them with the cheapest ones I can find at the time.

2015 ES with only 25,000 miles sounds likes a good deal! Hope you enjoy your Mirage!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Here is the relevant thread how to reset or turn it off completely.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...rvice-interval
    I may actually read this and do it this weekend. I think my wrench has been on so long I forgot it was there?!?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-24-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    https://youtu.be/2oBfnBnQ_dc

great vid only a min long
    Yea eh I have had that video bookmarked for a few years now. I can do it without the video now. I get maybe 9000 kms before the wrench comes back on.

I just do the same as Fummins, and have a sticker on the along the top with next 10,000 kms interval.

For the video, it's like 3 screens on the dash computer, then hold down the button for 4 seconds on the last screen, and the wrench disappears. The video explains it more precisely.

*Edit sorry cheers

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you all for the helpful input! I will go ahead probably just disable the wrench at some point, but for now will reset it and get the oil changed out soon so I can get my maintenance schedule back on track.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to oybee For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-27-2021)