Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What's the farthest you've gone on a single tank of gas?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    As Dirk can attest, people here in Atlanta metro have lost their friggin minds ... AGAIN. Yesterday, ALL the gas stations in my area ran dry of fuel. For 2 reasons. 1) The problems with the oil line shut down, and 2) the same people who run to the grocery store and buy 50 gallons of milk, 75 loaves of bread, and 100 packs of toilet paper at the first new report of a few snow flurries, ran to the store and bought like 10 gas cans. Then proceeded to the gas stations and filled all their tanks. Impulse panic buying.

On my way home, friggin people were lined up in half mine lines waiting to get gas, like it was the end of the world. Lunacy.

All that to say, I'm low on gas in the Mirage. I may have 4 gallons to left. I may wind up setting one of my high miles on one tank records on this tank. I think I could make it to 360 miles easy enough, but will drive extra carefully in case I need to go further. I haven't been out yet today ... don't know if there's gas yet, or lunatics waiting in lines (for hours and hours).
    If ya have another vehicle, ya may want to siphon some out of it and put in the Mirage. It will last ya longer. Crazy at how people are w/ the panic buying. We're not immune to it in this town, but it's not as bad as some places.

Also, this obviously won't work if the fuel stations are totally out- but getting gas later at night might be the way to avoid the long lines for when the fuel is back for sale.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Just got the car, so I'm trying to further the miles little by little. Running out of gas is embarrassing enough. Running out of gas in a Mirage is even worse. My last fill up was 315 miles. I'm not sure if an earlier one was further or not. I've filled up 4 or 5 times I think. I see it blinks at 50 miles left. It's blinked on me for 2 of those fill ups. Last time I filled it up when it said 40 miles left. Yesterday it said 30 miles left.
    Another look at refueling: What's the most gas you've ever filled in your Mirage?

You'll learn quick how your fuel gauge works for your style of driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    If ya have another vehicle, ya may want to siphon some out of it and put in the Mirage. It will last ya longer.
    Tis a good idea. I didn't drive much since that post. I still have 2 bars left on the Blueberry. A spare tank still has a couple gallons. I have reined in the boys driving (they're respectful about it). My truck has probably 20 gallons of diesel fuel, so I'm still good for probably a week on my own. The Warden, I don't have a clue about her car, her gas. My Lexus probably has 12 gallons in it, I could siphon it to the Blueberry if needed. My old Scamp blows through too much fuel to even think about cranking it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Just got the car, so I'm trying to further the miles little by little. Running out of gas is embarrassing enough. Running out of gas in a Mirage is even worse. My last fill up was 315 miles. I'm not sure if an earlier one was further or not. I've filled up 4 or 5 times I think. I see it blinks at 50 miles left. It's blinked on me for 2 of those fill ups. Last time I filled it up when it said 40 miles left. Yesterday it said 30 miles left.
    So how many gallons are you pumping into your gas tank to fill it up when it says 40 or 30 miles left?

What do you consider blinking? Single bar blinking or no bars left blinking? When the last bar starts to blink, you can still goes quite a ways in my opinion.

It's a 9.2 gallon tank.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    The farthest was 1117 km with 32,61 liters of gas.
    Mitsubishi Space Star 1.2:
    Daihatsu Cuore L251:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Space Star Klassik Kollektion+ 1.2 manual: 67.5 mpg (US) ... 28.7 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 81.0 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 25Plus For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 25Plus View Post
    The farthest was 1117 km with 32,61 liters of gas.
    Welcome back 25Plus. It's good to see you around.

Folks, take a look at the Fuel Economy Log for 25Plus - averaging 67.5mpg, the forum leader in fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    My last tank was my farthest in a Mirage: 849 km = 528 miles

The gas gauge bars were all gone, the gauge line was flashing, and the Distance To Empty number had vanished (I think it disappears after 50 km / 30 miles to make you panic.)

My all time best in any car was in a 2000 Honda Insight 5-speed. 40 L tank (10.x gal), 1499 km (931 miles) @ 2.5 L/100 km = 93 MPG US. It regularly got tanks in the 1200-1300 km range.
    I forgot all about this thread. That didn't take long.

I got all excited having 288kms on this tank and the dte shows 630km left. Then I saw your post ^ lol
    I doubt I'll get over 750km on this tank, it's cooling off here fast. -1c this morning

And I hear gas prices are supposed to be going up 20 cents a liter? Perfect!
    Some stations here are up to $1.41/L(according to this that's $4.27/Gallon) already.

Edit: I should have prefaced with I filled my tank right to the top of the filler neck, drove home then topped it off again with a splash from a jerry can too. I'll try to top it off like this again and see what I get for actual economy on this first tank with the "new" engine and transmission.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-07-2021 at 01:05 PM. Reason: stuff
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is 400 miles in 1 tank without refuel possible? If so, how? Hypermiling?

Quote Originally Posted by defensivetackle88 View Post
    Is 400 miles in 1 tank without refuel possible? If so, how? Hypermiling?
    Yes it is. I filled mine to the tits on my last fill up just after I replaced the engine and transmission. I still have a few bars left after going over 650kms(just over 400 miles). I just drove it. Half my 25ish km commute is 50-60mph freeway and the rest is stop and go 30-40mph. Didn't do anything magical. For a while I was hoping I'd get 800kms to a tank but after a week or so the weather started getting colder and I started driving faster. I should still be able to get another 50 miles easily on this tank.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 1,007 Posts
    I put 403 miles on mine once. No special driving. And I just knocked off a 382 mile tank and had at least another 50 miles easily I could have went. But, I was coming into Sunday evening crap Atlanta traffic, and I had a handy Racetrac gas station coming up. I'd rather not be potentially sitting in standstill traffic in Atlanta with the fuel icon blinking. So I stopped to poured some dinosaur juice in it.

So yeah, 400 miles is possible with reasonable driving. None of my tanks were filled to the tits.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)