Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roadtrip - Texas to Florida, gas usage?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Roadtrip - Texas to Florida, gas usage?

Howdy everyone!

I am supposed to be using my mirage to take a roadtrip from Texas to Florida as the title mentions. I wanted to know if anyone else has made this same trip themselves using their own Mirage and if so, how was it in terms of gas usage?

What did you find was your average speed and mpg? How many stops for gas did you have to make? Has anyone made a trip of similar distance?

Is it a good idea to take my Mirage on this roadtrip? We were supposed to use my sister's Corolla but her A/C is not working and she wants to use my car. We do have the option of my mom's Honda CR-V LX, but my sister believes it will be more costly to use my mom's vehicle. I don't mind taking my vehicle, but we are trying to do the most cost effective option. How does the mirage hold up on a roadtrip like that?

I don't see why you couldn't use your car as a car. I took mine on a few trips this spring and it worked. We had it loaded with over 1000lb of people and a cargo bag on the roof. I didn't really record fuel economy since sometimes we filled up from a jerry can at camp. The only trouble we had was climbing a steep mountain switch back which is basically now a jeep/quad trail, and when I drove into a river that was over the seats...So unless you're planning some unwise detours you should be fine, especially driving a new car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What year is the CRV LX?

As far as $ is concern, the Mirage would probably win over CRV thanks to MPG..at the expense of small gas tank and perhaps comfort. The Mirage is not made for 80 mph and using A/C hurts does hurt fuel economy.

This probably doesn’t help but many years ago I went solo in a 18.5 hour extreme commute in my 2010 Honda Accord from SoCal to Montana (430a-1130p without coffee). I stopped for fuel 3 times in 1 day. I went 75-80 mph and achieved 38 MPG in that trip. There were higher elevation to navigate.

What did I like from that commute? 3 stops for fuel thanks to LARGE fuel tank,
    sufficient torque to go uphill, MPG, and comfort from A/C, telescopic steering wheels and leg rooms. My username say it all.

Nothing to dislike, really. Maybe outdated entertainment system.

Would I do it again? Yes and no. I would definitely do it in a Mirage though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2023 Mirage G4 SE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    I think the Mirage makes a helluva good road car. Especially if the trip is 3 people or less. Or if it is 2 regular people and 2 or 3 professional horse racing jockeys.

The link below is a very similar thread. 975 miles on this road trip with my Blueberry. Some of the same roads traversed. Discussion points about mpg, seemingly right up your alley.

975 miles Mirage or LS 460L

I think the only weaker spot you'll find is, if leaving soon, your A/C while it will get the job done, you won't be hanging meat inside the car. It'll probably have to run max a lot. But, you may already experience that in Texas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You didn't say where in FL... so i just picked Destin, as its the closest touristy beach and that is 12 hours. 12 hours of interstate driving in a Mirage just sucks. I love these cars, but I am a realist. I wouldn't choose a CRV if I was picking a road trip car, but I would likely choose it over the Mirage solely for the ability to set the cruise at 80-85, settle in with the flow of Interstate traffic, and just exist...

Now if the goal was simply to arrive and there were no time constraints, by all means I would choose the Mirage and take as many 2 lanes and see as much stuff inbetween that I could. But that will add hours upon hours of travel time. Up to you.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (07-26-2023),Top_Fuel (07-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 1,035 Posts
    Basic - Didn't you just buy Loren's non-cruise control Mirage? Awesome blue car. But with no cruise control, a long interstate ride would get old. However, with a cruise control, it can be set on either 80 mph or 85 mph too. It is very capable as you know. Perhaps a little more busy to hold a straight line, and some wind & road noise, but that's it. The cruise controls on these cars work flawlessly.

My LS 460L has a 121.7 inch wheelbase. It holds a line very well.
    My blue truck has a 155 inch wheelbase. While it holds a line, recirculating ball steering keeps one busy.
    Our Mirage HBs have a 96 inch wheelbase.

Mine holds a straight line pretty darn good. No complaints here. Not at the cost of this car, it's a road eating badass.

allyayealex - I also just took a trip last weekend down to Brunswick, GA. 600 miles round trip. My son and I. We were going to blast down there, then blast back. No rain expected, no rain experienced. Hot as blazes.

We took the LS primarily because we were going to get down there, sleep, do a college orientation and blast right back QUICK. And I wanted to suffer as little as possible. OMG, that LS is a time machine. No drama. For real set the cruise between 80 mph and 85 mph (depending on the radar rabbits ahead), and it just soaked up the miles. 24.6 mpg on the way down there. Gotta pay to play. I haven't filled it back up since we came back. But it will be in the same mpg zone. I will say, the A/C system in the LS has industrial capacity compared to the pipsqueak Mirage A/C system. While the Mirage A/C gets the job done running at max performance, the LS has to be cut way back off of max performance or you get froze out ... even in the hottest weather.

I will be doing that trip many times in the next 4 years. The Mirage will probably do most of that duty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Basic (07-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    Basic - Didn't you just buy Loren's non-cruise control Mirage? Awesome blue car. But with no cruise control, a long interstate ride would get old. However, with a cruise control, it can be set on either 80 mph or 85 mph too. It is very capable as you know. Perhaps a little more busy to hold a straight line, and some wind & road noise, but that's it. The cruise controls on these cars work flawlessly.
    I did, and it was miserable. I have since purchased the ES steering wheel with CC controls and will be remedying that soon. But my first Mirage had cruise and while, yes, it will easily do it, its just not a pleasant experience at 4 grand plus and getting blown into the next lane when a mammoth sized SUV misses you by inches doing well into 3 digits...

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    We took the LS primarily because we were going to get down there, sleep, do a college orientation and blast right back QUICK. And I wanted to suffer as little as possible. OMG, that LS is a time machine. No drama. For real set the cruise between 80 mph and 85 mph (depending on the radar rabbits ahead), and it just soaked up the miles. 24.6 mpg on the way down there. Gotta pay to play. I haven't filled it back up since we came back. But it will be in the same mpg zone. I will say, the A/C system in the LS has industrial capacity compared to the pipsqueak Mirage A/C system. While the Mirage A/C gets the job done running at max performance, the LS has to be cut way back off of max performance or you get froze out ... even in the hottest weather.
    And this is exactly why I have a Grand Marquis as well. Not nearly the level of your 460 (which I lust after btw) but the same overall ideer.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

I'm planning a 4000miles road trip next year. If I still have the Mirage(likely) I just might take it because I'm cheap. Would prefer to take the truck and 34' toilet but if that breaks I'm screwed. If the car breaks either leave it or drag it to the next town with practically any other vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,541 Times in 1,474 Posts
    A 5-speed Mirage at 75-80mph with the AC running constantly...doesn't that translate to an actual fuel economy of about 35mpg?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (07-27-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    A 5-speed Mirage at 75-80mph with the AC running constantly...doesn't that translate to an actual fuel economy of about 35mpg?
    Yup. Needs 6th gear so badly for Interstate travel.

But there you go... even Mitsubishi was like "well the Mirage is more of a commuter... it doesnt need a tall highway gear" "they can use their Outlander for that!"

Resident Tire Engineer

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (07-27-2023)