Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blinking D light ... happy ending!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    ...I think it was a quick flash
    ...it only came on after I've been driving the car for a while
    Were you going 80mph on the 405 for 2 hours or something?!?

Here's what a Nissan service bulletin says about conditions that can cause overheating in the Sentra's CVT (similar to what is in the Mirage)...

Name:  Nissan CVT.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  48.7 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Here's what a Nissan service bulletin says about conditions that can cause overheating in the Sentra's CVT (similar to what is in the Mirage)...

Name:  Nissan CVT.jpg
Views: 1505
Size:  48.7 KB
    Car going 65 mph for 1-1.5 hours could be an issue?

If so, I would rather own something else. I don't see going down the interstate @ 65 mph as anything excessive or abnormal these days.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-29-2021)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    to cause contamination on cvt fluid is always workmanship on the shop who conduct change oil on cvt, i think its time to look for another shop, they did it for free because its their fault.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

Nope lol I normally stay around 70mph and I try to keep rpm below 3000 most the times. I would go up to 3500 rpm sometimes when I need to accelerate or on an incline but almost never to 4000. I probably should bring the car to get CVT fluid checked at another shop, but to me I feel like the AAMCO I brought it to should have checked the CVT fluid as well especially when it’s a transmission issue. The code about the clutch did come up when they performed a scan and they confirmed the code disappeared after they cleaned the part so there’s a chance that was the problem. Small disclaimer as well that about 10 days ago, while washing my car, I did gently rinsed down the engine (i looked up and they said it’s ok as long as the water isn’t high pressure) so perhaps, maybe, possibly, hopefully that it was just a water issue...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I thought this was a thread about Deshaun Watson...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    ...I feel like the AAMCO I brought it to should have checked the CVT fluid as well especially when it’s a transmission issue.
    Other than pulling out your dipstick and looking at the fluid on it (which I'm sure they did), there's not much more they could do to evaluate your fluid at that point (unless you want to pay for a chemical analysis of a fluid sample). I'm amazed there's a shop in LA that spent time on your car and didn't charge you for it. They treated you well and want your future business...so keep going there.

Small disclaimer...I did gently rinsed down the engine...
    Well...I'd say that's probably why the Aamco guys found water where it wasn't supposed to be. I know people say that it's safe to spray down an engine with low-pressure water and most of the time it probably is...but you're always going to run the slight risk of water getting into something and messing it up.

Just enjoy the car and keep up with your regular CVT fluid changes. You'll be fine. Just stay away from any 17" wheel upgrades.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Car going 65 mph for 1-1.5 hours could be an issue?

If so, I would rather own something else. I don't see going down the interstate @ 65 mph as anything excessive or abnormal these days.
    I agree. I drive from Atlanta to Charleston a lot. Its 5 hours and I'm mostly doing 75 mph the whole way. We do stop after 2.5 hours to eat but if we didn't I'd be pissed if I was killing my CVT the whole time in what is perfectly normal driving. Any car sold in America should be able to handle this.