Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blinking D light ... happy ending!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Blinking D light ... happy ending!

Hi y’all,

It’s been awhile! Hope everyone is doing well. Can’t believe I bought my Mirage 10 months ago. Time sure flies!

The car has been very good to me, and I have not had to do much to it except regular oil change and new wheels and tires in the beginning (as some of you may remember). A few days ago, I started noticing that the D on the dashboard was blinking. It did not come on every time I was driving, only randomly. I did some research and it’s supposed to be something wrong with the transmission. Got freaked out a little bit - worried I’d have to replace the whole thing. But the car did not feel any different while driving so I was somewhat confident it’s something minor (aka less than $500). Took it to AAMCO where I had my transmission fluid changed the first time last year. They did a code scan and the error code was, if I remember correctly, High Pressured Clutch. They could not tell what’s exactly wrong and needed to do more inspection. I left the car there and went to a coffee shop nearby. After 4 hours and $10 of expensive matcha latte and a bagel with cream cheese later, the car was ready. They said they found water in the parts (or something like that) and cleaned it out and the error code no longer came up. They were very nice and did not charge for the work, but they did recommend getting the front brakes replaced because something not pressing properly and something hydraulic (I know basically nothing about cars). I do hear noises sometimes when braking, but they’re not the creaking sound of a bad brake, more like a mild vibration of parts which I just assumed because it’s a loud car lol. Anyway, I’m not too concerned about it for now because for my last 2 oil changes, I went to 2 different shops and neither of them said anything about my brakes. I’m due for another oil change in couple of months and we’ll see what the shop says then.

Other than that, nothing else to report. Still love the car and am glad I went it it! If anything, I notice the paint job on the car isn’t the best and stains and dirt stick on very easy and no matter how much wax I put on it doesn’t stay shiny and clean, but again I did not pay for a luxury car. I’m just glad to have a car that drives well with good AC, low on gas, and no car payments!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to newtomit For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-28-2021)

That's good news. Except for the brakes, they shouldn't make a creaking noise. It'd probably be cheaper and more smarter to fix that sooner than later. But who uses brakes anyways....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    I notice the paint job on the car isn’t the best and stains and dirt stick on very easy and no matter how much wax I put on it doesn’t stay shiny and clean
    You are right and paint issues have been discussed elsewhere on the forum. The clear coat seems to be thin and soft. Water-based paint on these cars might not be helping either.
    Last edited by twister77; 04-28-2021 at 04:01 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Flashing "D" means your CVT fluid is too hot IIRC. Maybe some water got on a sensor and caused it to throw a code? Either way, good news your CVT is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Flashing "D" means your CVT fluid is too hot IIRC. Maybe some water got on a sensor and caused it to throw a code? Either way, good news your CVT is fine.
    No. I actually broke down and re-read some of the service manual a while back.
    A quick flashing D(flash every second) means it's too hot. Slow flash(every 2 seconds) means a problem occurred and a trouble code is stored.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-28-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No. I actually broke down and re-read some of the service manual a while back.
    A quick flashing D(flash every second) means it's too hot. Slow flash(every 2 seconds) means a problem occurred and a trouble code is stored.
    Thank you Fummy, I'm glad that was cleared up. So quick flash, your CVT is probably toast and a slow flash means you still got a fighting chance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Yeah...what Fummins said...

Name:  cvt.jpg
Views: 14586
Size:  97.5 KB

If the light is flashing fast, your CVT fluid is at least 279F. That is "pull over and get your azz off the road" time. Unless you're driving a rental or fleet vehicle. Then you can just keep driving.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh crap... I think it was a quick flash.... I think it only came on after I've been driving the car for a while so very likely it's the overheating CVT fluid. I got it changed about 14k miles ago so it's not due yet, but I always had a suspicion they did not actually change the fluid that day because I waited for hours and no one called me to say the car was ready. I then decided to stop by to check on it and the manager/owner asked the technician if it was done and he shrugged like he didn't know. So the manager disappeared for a few minutes and then came out and told me it was done. Now I'm starting to freak out again lol

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by newtomit View Post
    Oh crap... I think it was a quick flash.... I think it only came on after I've been driving the car for a while so very likely it's the overheating CVT fluid. I got it changed about 14k miles ago so it's not due yet, but I always had a suspicion they did not actually change the fluid that day because I waited for hours and no one called me to say the car was ready. I then decided to stop by to check on it and the manager/owner asked the technician if it was done and he shrugged like he didn't know. So the manager disappeared for a few minutes and then came out and told me it was done. Now I'm starting to freak out again lol
    Are you covered under warranty?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 1,006 Posts
    newtomit - Glad to hear your car is still doing (mostly) good. I forget what year it is.

And ... isn't it nice of Mitsubishi (and other OEMs) to give you some level of information to understand a problem so one doesn't have to go to a repair shop totally blind about what the issue is?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)