Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Angry Hog :: 2021 Honda Rebel 500-ABS (Garage entry)

1. General Information
    Angry Hog
    Honda
    Rebel 500-ABS
    Midnight Black
    6-speed

Have dreamed of getting my motorcycle license since l was in HS and now l can pursue it

Need for speed

Details

stock

•  

stock

•  

Me

•  

471cc Twin Parallel two Stroke

•  

stock

•  

stock

•  
    Comments: 20 / Views: 14346
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,424 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I'll say ... they have a point. When I ride the Rebel, I feel in danger. I feel much more visible on the Burgman because it is a big fat turd, it is bright white and a lot of that white body. And it has a lot more brake lights. It has a trunk box behind the rear seat, and it has a brake light. I feel safer on the Burgman because it is more easily seen. The Rebel does 72 mph (± 4 mph depending hills and wind). Which is just barely enough on the interstate. The Burgman does probably 110 mph, and cruising the interstate is very comfortable.

I'm not shooting you down for either riding on the interstate, or wanting to ride it on the interstate, but due to its small size, it's not going to be noticed by too large a percentage of drivers because they don't notice everything they should be noticing to start with. In summary: Have fun, be very careful, pay extra attention to try to cover the lack of attention too many drivers are exercising these days since smartphones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am a bigger guy, but I don't like big bikes... I want to build a Sportster scrambler for my next bike. So cool.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Twin cylinder baby, Honda reliability too. Yeah, my mirage will be the beater and the bike will be my fun toy

l went in to the Honda dealership and told the salesman l was getting a Grom and was going to modify it for the highway...he laughed until l showed him the custom shops's specs for it and everyone in the dealer turned and looked at me with pure horror lol...he said "you'll die on it if you go on the highway, anything's possible, but it's so small you will get hit"....l ain't scared, l learn how to deal with foolish drivers all day with my car...l plan for stupid drivers everyday....with a bike there's just less protection
    I haven't look at the current market (Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, & Suzuki) for a long time.

Personally, I would never buy a new motorcycle. Used ones with low mileage aren't that hard to find unless you're really stuck on a new model that just came out. That's just my past experience. I've bought used bikes, used them for years, & I have have sold them for the same price I paid for them used.

This is just me thinking out loud. If I was buying my first new bike, the Kawasaki Z400 or Honda CB500X would be my top two choices. I really like parallel twins.

I think 400-500cc bikes are perfect for beginners, but there are some nice 300 options out there, too. The nice thing about a 400-500cc bike is that you can use it for a few years & remain somewhat happy with it. Unless you're planning to use a Grom like a moped, I think it may become disappointing sooner than you think. I could be wrong about that. I can't say I've been on one.

Personally, I think the Honda CB500X is a nice size bike. It probably has the same 471cc engine you are considering. I wouldn't own a cycle that didn't have some type of windscreen. It just make the experience so much more enjoyable in my opinion.

I prefer deals like this -

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mc...309237601.html

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy...312417921.html

https://www.cycletrader.com/Used-Hon...89&condition=U

This would be the type of bike I would search out for & see what sort of deal can be made on it. I am just sharing what I would do. I wouldn't rule out trading the Grom for something bigger, but I realize you just got it. I don't mean to squash you modified Grom dream!

I was just looking at the current market, & the Honda CB500X would be the bike that I would be most interested in for a beginner's bike. It's a bit more expensive, but you're not going to out grow any time soon. I've had my cycle license since the late 1970's, & I still like these size bikes today.
    Last edited by Mark; 05-14-2021 at 04:29 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about getting a Super Cub, which uses the same engine as your Grom.

Just want something reliable and non-intimidating to learn on. Super Cub has a pretty extensive history and it is really fun looking. Basically the Beetle of bikes/scooters.

I'm 6'3" with a 36" I seem, though, so I'm concerned as to whether or not I'll fit properly on a machine made for the much more diminutive population of Japan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    The motorcycle l'm getting into isn't meant to go on the highway, but it will after l put a 471cc engine in it. Have a custom shop lined up after l get my full license. l'll post vids when l start riding.
    So you haven't bought it yet?

Won't swap the engine in until I pass my motorcycle license test lol. After I get my license, then the fun begins
    You might want to save time and money then and just buy a bike designed and engineered as a package, especially for a beginner rider. Question - have you spent any time riding bicycles? The skills are relevant.

l went in to the Honda dealership and told the salesman l was getting a Grom and was going to modify it for the highway...he laughed until l showed him the custom shops's specs for it and everyone in the dealer turned and looked at me with pure horror lol...he said "you'll die on it if you go on the highway, anything's possible, but it's so small you will get hit"....l ain't scared, l learn how to deal with foolish drivers all day with my car...l plan for stupid drivers everyday....with a bike there's just less protection
    You might want to take heed of the shop's advice here.

Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    The problem with it is, why would I risk my life on that thing, when I can use the Mirage and carry a lot more stuff and get 44 mpg (avg)?
    This is the conclusion I reached when I sold my Suzuki GS-500E, just it was long before I got my Mirage. My Jeep is danger enough.

This would be a good way to go. The motor, frame, forks and brakes are matched for each other. Have you tried sitting on a CB500 yet? My Suzuki GS-500E was on the small side and I think you'd be able to handle it. Ask your dealer for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PityOnU View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a Super Cub, which uses the same engine as your Grom.

Just want something reliable and non-intimidating to learn on. Super Cub has a pretty extensive history and it is really fun looking. Basically the Beetle of bikes/scooters.

I'm 6'3" with a 36" I seem, though, so I'm concerned as to whether or not I'll fit properly on a machine made for the much more diminutive population of Japan.
    You'd soon be disappointed with a small moped-sized bike.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's the problem Eggman, l've tried every small bike from triumph, honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc...and none fit me....if they do l'm just touching the ground.

l won't be modding it until l pass my license test. l would probably modify it after a year of Riding.

And no l haven't ridden dirt bikes as a kid but rode my sport heavy bicycles as a kid and they were heavier than a standard bicycle.
    I would seriously consider a cheaper used cycle. Most guys don't really know what they want until they have driven for some time. A motorcycle that you can grow into may be a better choice. Even something just slightly larger may be better.

Some of the cruiser styles are going to get your butt closer to the ground than a Grom.

Honda Rebel 300 or 500 would be perfect examples -

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...ABS-5016435432

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...300-5016529608

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...300-5016485136

https://louisville.craigslist.org/mc...317968943.html

The last bike sounds like almost brand new. You would have to ask for pics.

Tires on the Rebel look like they would give you a nice ride, too. If you bought a used version of this bike, you could probably sell in a year or two for almost the same price.

Even the Honda Rebel 500 (27.2" seat height) will put you closer to the ground than a Grom (30"). below -

https://louisville.craigslist.org/mc...319502825.html

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/...500-5016088179

Just throwing out other considerations. If I was buying a cycle the Honda CB500X would have my attention, but I am 6' 1".

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-14-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You'd soon be disappointed with a small moped-sized bike.
    Almost certainly. But that's assuming I end up riding a lot. I don't even know if I like it yet. Also consider:

1. I am a scrawny nerd and despite my height I actually don't weigh that much. I haven't checked in probably a year at this point but I doubt I'm over 190lbs.

2. I am a massive ***** who enjoys not dying.

3. I really only have one parking spot at the house in which I rent a single room so whatever I get will need to share that space with the Mirage.

4. I have repeatedly demonstrated in the past that I am not to be trusted with powerful vehicles.

5. I can always sell the Cub in the future if/when I want to upgrade to something more butch.

The only thing I'm worried about for the moment is making sure these damn legs have somewhere to go and that it's quiet and unassuming so that I can practice on it after dark when no one is around without having the cops called round.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    New Honda Rebels look really good imo, you can tell it's a small bike from the front. Otherwise, looks pretty cool with no chrome. I like the ads on TV for the Africa twin. Probably one of the few commercials the past 5 years that I will stop everything to watch.

Name:  honda 2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  97.2 KB

Thanks for the post, Mark
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-14-2021 at 06:44 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    New Honda Rebels look really good imo, you can tell it's a small bike from the front. Otherwise, looks pretty cool with no chrome. I like the ads on TV for the Africa twin. Probably one of the few commercials the past 5 years that I will stop everything to watch.

Name:  honda 2.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  97.2 KB

Thanks for the post, Mark
    Those Rebels look great. It's not something I would choose mostly because I found I prefer to lean over the tank some rather than sit upright or even lean back some as in a cruiser. That's something I learned by trying out a few different bikes. I felt I was more in control of the bike leaning forward a bit. I learned that quick about my preferences so it's hard to pick a bike by looks alone, know what I mean? But yeah those Rebels look purdy these days. In fact, it was a Rebel I tried back in the 1990s that made me realize it's not the bike for me.

Almost certainly. But that's assuming I end up riding a lot. I don't even know if I like it yet. Also consider:

1. I am a scrawny nerd and despite my height I actually don't weigh that much. I haven't checked in probably a year at this point but I doubt I'm over 190lbs.

3. I really only have one parking spot at the house in which I rent a single room so whatever I get will need to share that space with the Mirage.

4. I have repeatedly demonstrated in the past that I am not to be trusted with powerful vehicles.

5. I can always sell the Cub in the future if/when I want to upgrade to something more butch.

The only thing I'm worried about for the moment is making sure these damn legs have somewhere to go and that it's quiet and unassuming so that I can practice on it after dark when no one is around without having the cops called round.
    I hear what you're saying, and it's all good points. It's not the horsepower I would focus on as much as braking power. Mopeds are limited in stopping ability, and one ride on a even slightly bigger bike would spell that out real quick to the rider. Not sure how a Grom would compare, so there's that. I would expect a Rebel to have good brakes. And how about ABS on motorcycles these days? The things they come up with.

Electric motorcycles look very interesting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

If you're buying a Super Cub for the purpose it's designed for, I think that would be fun cycle to have. If someone wants to tool around town, suburbs, or just some scenic backroads, a cycle like the Super Cub would be fun.

It would be even more enjoyable to do it with a friend or a small group that owns them, too.

https://soundrider.com/Communities/scooter.aspx

If a person's really interested, there's probably a group already formed that one could join. Not sure what age bracket you would find yourself hanging with, however?

I was addressing MirageRally somewhat, because it appears he wants a more powerful cycle some day. Options like the Honda Rebel are out there. You're probably more inclined to get a wave from a Harley guy while riding a Rebel verses a modified Grom!