Thread: Mirage and a boat

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Post Mirage and a boat

So I live in a tiny apartment and the Mirage is my only car. For the longest time I have wanted a boat for some weekend fishing but none of the hassles of towing, docking fees, or storage. Several weeks back I found out about a mod for the Intex Excursion 5 inflatable boat to give it a solid wood floor and turn it into a decent weekend fishing boat.

The way it works is you get a normal 3/4th inch plywood board and some indoor/outdoor carpet and cut the board into three pieces with hinges to fit in your car and unfold/insert at the lake. Unfortunately the prices of lumber have skyrocketed since the article was made so it ended up costing a bit more ... The article was designed to fit into a Tesla so two sections were made to be 36". Since the Mirage wont fit that in the back hatch I decided to go with three 32" sections that the attendant at Home Depot cut.

I pretty much eyeballed the width measurement and the remaining cuts I ended up doing with a hand saw. After completing the boating safety class, going to the DMV multiple times for registration, I finally have it all ready and brought it out on the water the other weekend. The beauty of this is I can deflate/fold and this all stores in my closet and transports in the Mirage.

Youtube Guide and Demo

Parts:
    Intex Excursion 5 Inflatable boat
    Intex Motor Mount Kit
    EverStart Battery 100AH 29DC
    Battery Box
    Cheap-ass chairs
    Chinese Sunelex 58Lbs Trolling Motor
    Small anchor
    4 Hinges
    Short wood screws
    Plywood board
    Pipe Insulation
    Indoor/outdoor carpet roll
    Battery Charger
    Decent 12v air inflator/deflator

Last edited by Mirageman38; 04-29-2021 at 12:27 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-29-2021),MirageRally (04-29-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Pretty cool! Do you have to have a boat license for something like that?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Pretty cool! Do you have to have a boat license for something like that?
    For a boat this small (or any ocean-only boats) all you need in NJ is the safety certificate from doing the boating course. It's 5 hours of online and then an in person test. The only difference to get the license after passing the safety course is paying the DMV $18 so it's worth it to get it while going for the registration anyways and then you are all set for anything.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-29-2021),Top_Fuel (04-29-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    For a boat this small (or any ocean-only boats) all you need in NJ is the safety certificate from doing the boating course. It's 5 hours of online and then an in person test. The only difference to get the license after passing the safety course is paying the DMV $18 so it's worth it to get it while going for the registration anyways and then you are all set for anything.
    I wonder if all those mobsters in Jersey had to get a boat safety certificate when they were dumping bodies lol.1591564963647.jpg.pdf

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was doing this over 30yrs ago with inflatable boats. We would put a plywood two pc floor in them after sanding the edges smooth. And bring them to the pond to fish and catch turtles. No trolling motor though just a paddle.