Thread: This just in: Purple Mirages depreciate faster. Get the yellow one!

This just in: Purple Mirages depreciate faster. Get the yellow one!

Even though I'm not a fan of the colour, I probably would have bought this super cheap, low km plasma purple Mirage this winter ... if only it hadn't been so far away.

(And then I probably would have plasti-dipped it kermit green!)

Turns out purple might be one of the worst colours for resale, but yellow is number one:

Name:  Screenshot_2021-04-30 2021 Study Suggests Your Boring Silver Paint Job Is Hurting Your Resale Va.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  56.6 KB

Our friends atiSeeCars analyzed over 700 thousand sales and aggregated the resale by color within various segments, the data shows that colors like yellow and orange help retain value the best, but the logic behind this is interesting, as the article lays out
    Source: https://jalopnik.com/2021-study-sugg...hur-1846798352

(There's a bit more to it than just the colour. See the article for more.)

I think I prefer the copper/orange one better than yellow.

That said, I've never actually been able to choose the colour I want (all else being equal) because I've only bought used cars. Palette of the roadworthy cars in my fleet: dark red, classic red, black & silver.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

I think I prefer the copper/orange one better than yellow.
    Same here! I prefer the sunrise orange over the sand yellow. I'm sorry, but the plasma purple always looks pink to me. It would take a heck of a good deal with money left over to paint it a different color to interest me.

Sunrise orange, sapphire blue, & kiwi green are my 3 favorite colors. Somehow I picked the mercury gray, which I find a bit boring now.

I see value in small cars being a bright color for safety reasons, too!

I'd love to see a similar study of not-at-fault crash data for small cars by colour.

That said, I've also found white is a good practical choice because it's the easiest to hide DIY repairs & paint match.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Early Mirages could be had in a dark purple. I never saw many like that, but my friend said go for the dark purple and I said no way. Now I wonder if I should have gone with dark purple.

Like an old Dodge mopar purple. I was torn between red, and dark grey. I went with dark grey. Some on the forum have said the dark grey Mirages are hard to keep clean. Very shiny pearl paint, you can see your reflection and your colour of your shirt even on my Mirage, albeit a pretty distorted version lol. My car is the same colour as nickel, and does the same behaviours.

Anyway, dark purple would have stood out, therefore has safety benefits. Not sure about resale. Plain old white is easiest to repair. Anyone buying a new Mirage, do yourself a favour and buy a paint stick or two from the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,388 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Interesting topic. I was torn between Orange and Blue. Found a blue one. Had I waited for a 2021, I would have certainly got the yeller one ... it's purdy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'd love to see a similar study of not-at-fault crash data for small cars by colour.

That said, I've also found white is a good practical choice because it's the easiest to hide DIY repairs & paint match.
    Not on these Mirages... this ****ter CVT '15 I picked up has a TON of pearl and flake in it, and the places it has been touched up are pretty ugly.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (05-03-2021)