Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Escape?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The battery is located such that they are absurdly hard to jump start. That's all I know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MacClyver View Post
    The battery is located such that they are absurdly hard to jump start. That's all I know.
    I saw that. It's roughly in the same spot as the Mirage but the negative terminal is tucked up against the firewall. A Ford salesman pointed that one out. At least the positive terminal is accessible and the battery is grounded at an accessible point too. Which for jumper cables, they aren't both supposed to go on the battery terminals anyway (isn't it positive on the battery and negative to the chassis ground?)

Battery replacement must be a real joy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

And shopping stinks!! Can you believe the prices on cars these days?? Ick. And Mark would you believe I couldn't find one without a radio or with hand-crank windows? Haha.

All good insights. That's what I like so much about this forum - all the helpful folks here.
    Free market out there, I'd look at all the possibilities, see who is willing to haggle with price. VW small SUVs are all pretty nice. I'd be looking at all my options at this price point. Test all the comparable vehicles. Don't buy the first house you look at But you know this Eggman

Sales people make up all sorts of stories. I'm not sure what to believe. But if I was gonna get a manual Elantra or Venue tomorrow, I'd visit both "local" dealers first. See if I can get some incentive or freebie going on.

Also..my neighbours just a few blocks away, have a small-ish and new Winnipego camper. It's a real stand out, not sure why, the thing looks very modern. Anyway have fun camping

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks. This is what I was hoping to hear.

Seems the Titanium is the best option. It is possible to find a SEL with a tow package, but the Titanium is very well equipped.

Have you towed with yours?
    Just used with utility trailer so far. I've had 1,700 lb of scrap metal in the trailer that weighs about 400 lb itself so slightly over a ton, and it handled that just fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I rent cars weekly for my job and we always jokingly called them No-Escapes because they are just horrid. Now that said I haven't driven the most recent model (because I avoid them like the plague) but I loathed the previous couple with an undying passion. Good luck!
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    What Dirk said, post #2.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Eggman have you thought about taking advantage of Mitsu loyalty rebates and overall desperation to move cars? I bet you could find a used Outlander GT with a trad auto and higher towing capacity. The MPG looks similar but you get a lot more power with a V6 Outlander. It might take some detective work to find a used GT on a Mitsu lot but they seem to carry more used units of their own brand than many others.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Parents had a yellow one when the escape was first introduced in the very early 00's and it was nicely sized and very ergonomic I recall. It also scooted out pretty decent. I've heard those first escapes were better though.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Eggman have you thought about taking advantage of Mitsu loyalty rebates and overall desperation to move cars? I bet you could find a used Outlander GT with a trad auto and higher towing capacity. The MPG looks similar but you get a lot more power with a V6 Outlander. It might take some detective work to find a used GT on a Mitsu lot but they seem to carry more used units of their own brand than many others.
    Here's a good example and at a decent price but not at a Mitsu lot to take advantage of the loyalty discount.
    https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/JA4JZ4AX3KZ002492

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I rent cars weekly for my job and we always jokingly called them No-Escapes because they are just horrid. Now that said I haven't driven the most recent model (because I avoid them like the plague) but I loathed the previous couple with an undying passion. Good luck!
    What exactly did you find horrid about them? The ones I drove seemed to drive fine to me, and were better mannered than my Mirage out on the highway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)