Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Escape?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts

Does the Mirage have new competition?

Got a low mileage 2020 Ford Escape Titanium used at a local Ford dealership. It's the Ecoboost turbocharged 2.0L with AWD.

The Titanium has lots of technology and features that'll take some getting used to. Fancy leather interior. Adaptive cruise control that not only keeps speed but keeps from hitting the car in front - it'll adjust speed until the obstacle is gone, then it'll resume the set speed. It'll even come to a complete stop, as in a traffic jam (haven't tried that one yet.) It also has lane departure avoidance when using the cruise - in practice I found it weird that the steering wheel kept trying to center in the lane. Definitely interesting seeing how I think I'm centered and how the vehicle electronics say otherwise haha. Lots of collision avoidance sensors. Auto stop & go works fantastic. TPMS readout on the dashboard for each tire. Satellite radio subscription included in the sale for about three months. Also onboard WiFi & navigation. This service includes remote start through a registered mobile phone, which works great. Both key fobs include remote start capability. The liftgate opens with a sensor mounted under the rear bumper with a wave of the foot (still learning that trick haha.) Windshield wipers turn on automatically in rainy conditions. Dual zone automatic climate controls. Lots of USB charging ports front & rear. Built-in garage door opener remote. Automatic high-beam control too. The list goes on.

The 2.0 turbo AWD imposes a fuel economy hit according to the US EPA website compared to the other drivetrains available. It's rated at 23 city, 31 highway with a combined rating of 23mpg. It's already been on two road trips in our possession - one to Northwest Ohio and another yesterday down to Canton. Here's the interesting thing - on the trip to Canton (roughly 50 miles) the dashboard trip fuel economy gauge registered over 42mpg - a real pleasant surprise. Trip speed was kept near the posted speed limit for the majority of the trip which was between 55 and 65 mph once on the highway. The return trip was 40 mpg - half backroads instead of highway and the numbers weren't quite as good but I suspect that is due to not using the 8-speed transmission's higher overdrive gears at the lower speeds. Our Ford Fusion never beat it's fuel economy rating - I thought only the Mirage would do such a thing. After driving this new Escape I was very happily surprised that the fuel economy numbers displayed on the dash just kept going up & up. The trip only took an hour - I wonder where it could have gone had we kept driving? Another road trip might give the answer.

The car market is in a funny place these days. The salesman said the computer chip shortage is causing big problems. They normally keep around 300 new models on their lot, but due to the chip shortage they were down to 30 as of last Monday. Once those are gone all they'll have to sell are used cars. On top of that because new cars aren't selling they aren't getting used cars in on trade - all they'll have for building their inventory will be auctions, and you can imagine the impact that'll have on used car prices.

Last edited by Eggman; 05-09-2021 at 05:39 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

daleWV (05-09-2021),dspace9 (05-09-2021),Pryme (05-10-2021),Top_Fuel (05-09-2021),Wil B (05-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    on the trip to Canton (roughly 50 miles) the dashboard trip fuel economy gauge registered over 42mpg - a real pleasant surprise. Trip speed was kept near the posted speed limit for the majority of the trip which was between 55 and 65 mph once on the highway. The return trip was 40 mpg - half backroads instead of highway and the numbers weren't quite as good but I suspect that is due to not using the 8-speed transmission's higher overdrive gears at the lower speeds.
    Hi Eggman, that's interesting about the very good MPGs in your new Escape. Please keep us all posted on your MPG numbers in the next while. I'm curious what your owners perspective is in the real world.

You can't complain about that! How is the cargo room with the seats folded down? Sounds loaded. That is the bend in the trend these days. Leather is a deal breaker for me though. I have an inherited leather lazy boy at home, and it's the chair guests always gravitate to, but I rarely sit in it. I like the mid century modern leather furniture, but not so much new stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Hi Eggman, that's interesting about the very good MPGs in your new Escape. Please keep us all posted on your MPG numbers in the next while. I'm curious what your owners perspective is in the real world.

You can't complain about that! How is the cargo room with the seats folded down? Sounds loaded. That is the bend in the trend these days. Leather is a deal breaker for me though. I have an inherited leather lazy boy at home, and it's the chair guests always gravitate to, but I rarely sit in it. I like the mid century modern leather furniture, but not so much new stuff.
    Haven't tried folding down the rear seats but it's a far cry from the Mirage that's for sure. Cool thing is the rear seats recline some, kinda like an airplane seat. Leather interior was the only option as this is the top trim level for the Escape. The bottom trim level would have been the choice if it were offered with the towing capacity needed. Trucks are out of the question - the Escape won on fuel economy and towing capacity. Just didn't expect the fuel economy to be that good.

This Escape will see mostly city driving of short distances, which will kill fuel economy numbers. It'll take some highway trips to see how things work out.

I thought only the Mirage rewarded careful driving with excellent fuel economy. Seems other manufacturers are catching on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-10-2021),MirageRally (05-10-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Congrats on the new ride. I was looking at the Ford EcoSport, the Escape's little brother, and it had decent reliability ratings since its been in production overseas for 8 years. I didn't like how it didn't come with, nor have space for a spare tire. This is unacceptable to me. Does your Escape have a spare?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. It has a spare tire but I really should check it’s condition. Thanks for the reminder.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got a low mileage 2020 Ford Escape Titanium used at a local Ford dealership. It's the Ecoboost turbocharged 2.0L with AWD.

The Titanium has lots of technology and features that'll take some getting used to. Fancy leather interior. Adaptive cruise control that not only keeps speed but keeps from hitting the car in front - it'll adjust speed until the obstacle is gone, then it'll resume the set speed. It'll even come to a complete stop, as in a traffic jam (haven't tried that one yet.) It also has lane departure avoidance when using the cruise - in practice I found it weird that the steering wheel kept trying to center in the lane. Definitely interesting seeing how I think I'm centered and how the vehicle electronics say otherwise haha. Lots of collision avoidance sensors. Auto stop & go works fantastic. TPMS readout on the dashboard for each tire. Satellite radio subscription included in the sale for about three months. Also onboard WiFi & navigation. This service includes remote start through a registered mobile phone, which works great. Both key fobs include remote start capability. The liftgate opens with a sensor mounted under the rear bumper with a wave of the foot (still learning that trick haha.) Windshield wipers turn on automatically in rainy conditions. Dual zone automatic climate controls. Lots of USB charging ports front & rear. Built-in garage door opener remote. Automatic high-beam control too. The list goes on.

The 2.0 turbo AWD imposes a fuel economy hit according to the US EPA website compared to the other drivetrains available. It's rated at 23 city, 31 highway with a combined rating of 23mpg. It's already been on two road trips in our possession - one to Northwest Ohio and another yesterday down to Canton. Here's the interesting thing - on the trip to Canton (roughly 50 miles) the dashboard trip fuel economy gauge registered over 42mpg - a real pleasant surprise. Trip speed was kept near the posted speed limit for the majority of the trip which was between 55 and 65 mph once on the highway. The return trip was 40 mpg - half backroads instead of highway and the numbers weren't quite as good but I suspect that is due to not using the 8-speed transmission's higher overdrive gears at the lower speeds. Our Ford Fusion never beat it's fuel economy rating - I thought only the Mirage would do such a thing. After driving this new Escape I was very happily surprised that the fuel economy numbers displayed on the dash just kept going up & up. The trip only took an hour - I wonder where it could have gone had we kept driving? Another road trip might give the answer.

The car market is in a funny place these days. The salesman said the computer chip shortage is causing big problems. They normally keep around 300 new models on their lot, but due to the chip shortage they were down to 30 as of last Monday. Once those are gone all they'll have to sell are used cars. On top of that because new cars aren't selling they aren't getting used cars in on trade - all they'll have for building their inventory will be auctions, and you can imagine the impact that'll have on used car prices.
    The lane keep assist is annoying, I turned it off the second day I had my corolla. Say there is a merging of two lanes into one and you decide to float on over before they actually merge, the wheel nudges you back lmao I turned that off. Also turned off the auto high beams and auto parking brake. The radar cruise and lane trace is worth keeping on those are handy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Post pics Eggman

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-10-2021),MirageRally (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    The lane keep assist is annoying, I turned it off the second day I had my corolla. Say there is a merging of two lanes into one and you decide to float on over before they actually merge, the wheel nudges you back lmao I turned that off.
    The lane centering is only active when adaptive cruise control is in use. It's something to get used to - I wasn't ready to disable it yet and wanted to see how it works. I found it shuts off at intersections and freeway on-ramp merges because it no longer sees the right-hand lane marker. In use I found I had to keep a firm grip on the wheel as the steering corrections by the lane centering system was disorientating. Maybe I should keep a loose grip next time, but I'm not sure I could do that. It definitely kept me on my toes, learning a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    Also turned off the auto high beams and auto parking brake. The radar cruise and lane trace is worth keeping on those are handy.
    I haven't used the high beams yet to see them auto-dim for oncoming traffic. The auto parking brake might be a useful anti-theft thing? Hope to never find out about that.

Not sure what you mean by lane trace?

Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Congrats on the ride my man, now l have to look for 2 vehicle the next time we meet....your jeep...and now the Escape lol

Does the Escape have magic seats like the Honda Fit? That'd be cool
    I'll have to check, but I doubt it has seats like the Fit. I'm still getting used to all the room. Actually, it'll get little use for the time being until we figure out our car situation. We now have more cars than people. I want the new one to sit in the garage and put miles on the older vehicles, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Post pics Eggman
    I'll have to get some posted. Its color is Magnetic Metallic - it looks dark grey in sunlight and dark olive under cloudy skies. I doubt pictures will capture that.

So here's something else to think about - I'm having trouble finding a quality Ford Escape forum. There's about three I came across but they're nothing like the Mirage Forum. What's that all about? I think the Mirage is such a unique car sold in small numbers that it draws enthusiasts (and keeps them!) unlike other cars. All hail Mirage Forum! We got a good thing going here. Thanks Tim & Darin, and thanks everyone for making this forum as great as it is.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (05-10-2021),MirageRally (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 998 Posts
    What is the Lane Trace mentioned about the Corolla. I'm not familiar.

And what are the Magic Seats from the Fit? Do the Magic Seats pull a rabbit out of the driver's butt?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Haven't tried folding down the rear seats but it's a far cry from the Mirage that's for sure. Cool thing is the rear seats recline some, kinda like an airplane seat. Leather interior was the only option as this is the top trim level for the Escape. The bottom trim level would have been the choice
    I just learned that the '21 Bronco comes in 3 cylinder engine, a 1.5 L turbo. Has around 185 hp. Motorweek's saying a 0-60 mph time of 8.5 seconds, and a quarter mile time of 16 seconds.

I think that is a very small engine for a fairly big vehicle. Add the stop-go tech, and an automatic tranny, that engine is working its butt off all the time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)