Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ford Escape?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This isn't new... In the late 80's, early 90's Bronco=Big, think OJ bronco. Bronco II=little like a ranger. Chev/gmc did the something odd with the Jimmy and Blazer offering both full size and s10-s15 models at the same time. What about the Mitsubishi Outlander and Outlander Sport. What about when Ford put the Taurus badge on the Freestyle for a while...then put a 500 emblem on a Taurus. Hummers... Some things are just dumb, others are easy to follow if you are the slightest bit observant.
    Exactly!

How is a Bronco & Bronco Sport any different (smart or dumb depending on your view) than an Outlander & Outlander Sport?

All four are different vehicles!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    My 2500HD 4X4 Ram, with a Cummins is a 'Sport.' If it weren't, I wouldn't be able to slalom nearly as well, or drift through grocery store parking lots. What a difference!

Name:  Sport.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  100.6 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's a nice truck, besides the one guy nearby with a 1992 Ram pickup that I prefer the style of, you will never see a Ram in that kind of shape in Ontario. At least 99% of the time.

Regarding my lack of observation and the dumb naming of cars. I just think there are so many names they can use, why do they have to name something different for the same thing? Anyway these tomato/tomato rabbit holes always lend themselves well to pushing a square peg into a round hole, so I won't even begin lol.

The worse offenders are like Infiniti Q30 or the Acura ABCD, just wait til Elon Musk names a car after his kid. Not gonna be an Edsel lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

What about the new Mustang electric Cuv wtf ever it is. They could have called it something more relatable like a Bronco sport XL EV 445282852114c3214fafasdhflkajs;lfdjadfsn,asmdfn.an Or a pinto, what about the Maverick?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-10-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,416 Times in 1,024 Posts
    Oh, I like the 92's also. Now if Ford were to come out with another Pinto, and it was along the lines of a Mirage, I would be interested. I wouldn't trade the Mirage for it, but I'd be interested...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-10-2021)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    What about the new Mustang electric Cuv wtf ever it is. They could have called it something more relatable like a Bronco sport XL EV 445282852114c3214fafasdhflkajs;lfdjadfsn,asmdfn.an Or a pinto, what about the Maverick?
    They probably won't resurrect the Pinto name again, but yea, fummins you are 100% right on this. They have been doing this for years.

New 4 door electric Mustang is the Mach-e. So Ford steals on a few levels, from its own stash. Whatever though, they sell reminiscing and they want to sell those cars every day, so this is all marketing. They did this with the 1974 Mustang with the 4 cylinder and no V8 offered. Same name different car. But this is not the same thing as the Topaz/Tempo.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    They probably won't resurrect the Pinto name again, but yea, fummins you are 100% right on this. They have been doing this for years.

New 4 door electric Mustang is the Mach-e. So Ford steals on a few levels, from its own stash. Whatever though, they sell reminiscing and they want to sell those cars every day, so this is all marketing. They did this with the 1974 Mustang with the 4 cylinder and no V8 offered. Same name different car. But this is not the same thing as the Topaz/Tempo.
    Same poop different pile. The 1974 Mustang II could have came with a crappy 2.8L V6 as well, which I believe was also available in the early Bronco II's 1983ish.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Took the Escape on a quick camping trip this weekend to Punderson State Park, not far from MirageRally's neck of the woods. It towed fine and it got over 30mpg for the short trip on backroads towing our little travel trailer. This is exactly what we were aiming for.

The WeatherTech floor liners I ordered were on the doorstep when we got back. The interior was cleared of camping gear and debris, the floor thoroughly vacummed, the mats removed and the WeatherTechs plopped in. They worked great for Speck and I'm sure they'll work great for the Escape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. I was looking at the Ford EcoSport, the Escape's little brother, and it had decent reliability ratings since its been in production overseas for 8 years. I didn't like how it didn't come with, nor have space for a spare tire. This is unacceptable to me. Does your Escape have a spare?
    The Escape does have a donut spare tire. It was a little low on air so I put some in. It is small in width but it's the largest diameter spare tire I've seen - I suspect this is due to the AWD drivetrain. Again, thanks for the reminder.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

daleWV (05-17-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Congrats on the new ride. I was looking at the Ford EcoSport, the Escape's little brother, and it had decent reliability ratings since its been in production overseas for 8 years. I didn't like how it didn't come with, nor have space for a spare tire. This is unacceptable to me. Does your Escape have a spare?
    This is a stupid way to market the Ecosport in North America, because it was designed specifically to carry a full size spare on the rear door.

Most SUV with rear side swinging doors were designed that way to hold the weight of full size rear spare tire. Early generations of the Honda CR-V for example were that way. The rear spare on my 2000 Honda CR-V was identical to the tires on the car. I bought 3 used rims to complete a second set of tires for that vehicle. No TPMS to mess with back then either!!!!

When the Ecosport came to the States, you could get it with a full size spare mounted on the rear door. For some stupid reason, only the base trim (S) had that option & not the upper trim levels. I am not sure it's an option for any trim levels now, but I know for sure the S trim level could have a full size spare mounted to the rear door the first year or two. Most likely there are probably aftermarket ways of doing that with any of the trim levels of the Ecosport. Unless the door hinges (to hold the extra weight) of trim levels are different?

Some felt a full size spare mount on a rear door was quirky for the CR-V. Those are the quirky features I liked about my first generation Honda CR-V. The table with folding legs used to make up the rear floor is another feature I miss. It was perfect for camping trips or whatever.

I liked everything about the full size spare on the rear door of my CR-V. Easy to access. When I changed tire sets (winter/summer), I just added one of the other set to the back. Super easy to do! No space was taken up inside the vehicle. You had a large space under the rear folding table to store stuff like jumper cables or whatever. Some companies mounted full size spares on a separate bracket you had to swing out the way every time you opened your rear hatch. That was more of a pain.

A full size spare mounted on the rear door of a base level Ecosport would be my number one choice of spare tire options that I have seen recently!
    Last edited by Mark; 05-17-2021 at 05:15 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It towed fine and it got over 30mpg for the short trip on backroads towing our little travel trailer. This is exactly what we were aiming for.
    30 mpg while towing a small camper is quite good! I would be very pleased with that, too!