Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford Escape?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts

Ford Escape?

I'm not getting rid of ol' Speck but am looking at the Ford Escape. Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with them? Or know of a good online resource? Thanks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-02-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not getting rid of ol' Speck but am looking at the Ford Escape. Anyone here have any knowledge or experience with them? Or know of a good online resource? Thanks.
    Don't do it Eggman, I typed in "Ford Escape reliable?" and a flood opened up like this https://www.cashcarsbuyer.com/does-t...sion-problems/

I'd only consider the hybrid, it seems to be the most reliable? Otherwise it's a 3cyl turbo that gets mediocre mpg and a clunky transmission. Rav4, CRV, or a Kona all the way. I'm convinced the only vehicle Ford cares about being reliable is their high selling F150s.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A raised-up Ford Focus, with worse fuel economy, but still a Ford

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Don't do it Eggman, I typed in "Ford Escape reliable?" and a flood opened up like this https://www.cashcarsbuyer.com/does-t...sion-problems/

I'd only consider the hybrid, it seems to be the most reliable? Otherwise it's a 3cyl turbo that gets mediocre mpg and a clunky transmission. Rav4, CRV, or a Kona all the way. I'm convinced the only vehicle Ford cares about being reliable is their high selling F150s.
    I've heard of engine problems but not transmission problems - not widespread at least. And the years cited in your article are 2002, 2006 & 2016. I'm looking at a used 2020.

There are a lot of Escapes on the road around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    A raised-up Ford Focus, with worse fuel economy, but still a Ford
    Is the Escape design based on the focus? I doubt that's still the case, but I guess I'd have to look it up.

Edit - It shares the same platform! See Ford C2 platform
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-02-2021 at 02:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Some models of the Escape are rated for towing, and that's why I'm looking at them. Their hybrid version isn't rated for towing. Otherwise I'd definitely look at their hybrid.

Also, They don't have a CVT for a transmission, so that's a plus. The previous generation used a 6-speed and Ford switched to an 8-speed for 2020.

I also heard they were replacing engines in the previous generation, something about compression or some such problem. I'm hoping Ford has that sorted out by now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For what its worth, we have a 2017 Ford Escape 2Liter Titanium with OEM trailer towing package. Haven't had a single problem with it.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It has the 6 speed automatic and has plenty of power.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Is the Escape design based on the focus? I doubt that's still the case, but I guess I'd have to look it up.

Edit - It shares the same platform! See Ford C2 platform
    What are you towing?

I'd just make sure you're getting good mpg's in that category. I know my friend has a Ford EcoSport, and he says it's terrible on gas, he went from an oughts-era Corolla, automatic, to the EcoSport.

I would just want at least 7 L / 100 km's in a smaller SUV, since I got 8.1 L / 100 km's in an awd Santa Fe rental I had 2 years ago. And that thing was huge. So if I went to a smaller SUV, and AWD, I'd want at least 6.5 - 7 mpgs.. I'd probably be shopping Hyundai to be honest, they sold me on what they can do getting good fuel economy even with automatic awd SUV in the cold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I can see Eggman's interest though, even though used car prices are insane right now, a used Escape is not a bad deal. I mentioned the Rav4, but the Toyota Tax is unbelievable for used units. I'm just personally too leery of Ford or GM products, but there are plenty of old Escapes out there I see them everyday. Whose knows? It's all up to the Car Gods whether or not a vehicle will be reliable in the end.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    Some models of the Escape are rated for towing, and that's why I'm looking at them. Their hybrid version isn't rated for towing. Otherwise I'd definitely look at their hybrid.

Also, They don't have a CVT for a transmission, so that's a plus. The previous generation used a 6-speed and Ford switched to an 8-speed for 2020.

I also heard they were replacing engines in the previous generation, something about compression or some such problem. I'm hoping Ford has that sorted out by now.
    If I was in the market for a small to mid-size SUV, I wouldn't rule out Ford. Ford vehicles do have good tow ratings, & I find that very appealing. Even the small 4-cylinder/AWD Ecosport is rated to tow 2,000 pounds. Most small SUVs in that category aren't recommended for towing. The fact that some Escapes are rated up to 3,500 pounds is also quite good.

I have no personal experience with the current Ford SUV models. Thus, I am not going to speculate on them that much. You see a lot of them around. People are buying them. Ford is devoted to their SUV/truck line up now.

I know the 6-speed automatic is a proven transmission, but the transmissions used in the Focus & Fiesta are junk. I do have experience driving those. Thankfully, those transmissions don't apply to the EcoSport or Escape.

I use my 2011 Forester manual (2,500 rating) for towing all the time. In the past week, I've done two loads/trips of crushed gravel, and two loads of pea gravel. It only takes one full yard of gravel to fill my small 4'x8' trailer (tires are squatting some). I put the trailer on my Kawasaki Mule when I get home & take it to the spot I am working on. I like shoveling that stuff off the trailer rather than off the ground. I also picked up a friend's old ATV a few days ago, because it wasn't running. I got that working again & just hauled it back to his place today. I rather have a trailer than a pickup truck. I would cringe watching someone dump gravel into a nice pickup truck. Don't feel that way at all with my rusty old trailer. My trailer has a tilt bed. Don't even need ramps to drive an ATV on to it. I would be lost without my trailer!

If I had to replace my Forester, I would be looking at Toyota, Mazda, & Ford because of transmissions & towing capacity.

Subaru Forester towing capacity dropped from 2,500 pounds (older models with manual or 4-speed auto) to 1,500 pounds (newer models with CVT). I won't be buying a Subaru again.

I like my Mirage, because the 48,000+ miles on it would have been added to my Forester. Since 2017, 90% of my mileage has been with my Mirage. There are days when I really need my Forester, however. My Mirage & Forester compliment themselves nicely. I am sure your Mirage & a Ford Escape would do likewise!

Shopping for vehicles can be fun! Paying for them not so much!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    For what its worth, we have a 2017 Ford Escape 2Liter Titanium with OEM trailer towing package. Haven't had a single problem with it.
    I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. It has the 6 speed automatic and has plenty of power.
    Thanks. This is what I was hoping to hear.

Seems the Titanium is the best option. It is possible to find a SEL with a tow package, but the Titanium is very well equipped.

Have you towed with yours?

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    What are you towing?

I'd just make sure you're getting good mpg's in that category. I know my friend has a Ford EcoSport, and he says it's terrible on gas, he went from an oughts-era Corolla, automatic, to the EcoSport.

I would just want at least 7 L / 100 km's in a smaller SUV, since I got 8.1 L / 100 km's in an awd Santa Fe rental I had 2 years ago. And that thing was huge. So if I went to a smaller SUV, and AWD, I'd want at least 6.5 - 7 mpgs.. I'd probably be shopping Hyundai to be honest, they sold me on what they can do getting good fuel economy even with automatic awd SUV in the cold.
    A small camper trailer, about 1,500 lbs. possibly up to a ton filled with gear and food and stuff.

An Ecosport wasn't really considered because it appears a little top heavy and narrow for towing.

Not sure how far I'll get worrying about fuel economy and towing. To be honest, I seriously consider selling the trailer and going electric as most of our transportation needs are within five miles from home. Maybe some day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I can see Eggman's interest though, even though used car prices are insane right now, a used Escape is not a bad deal. I mentioned the Rav4, but the Toyota Tax is unbelievable for used units. I'm just personally too leery of Ford or GM products, but there are plenty of old Escapes out there I see them everyday. Whose knows? It's all up to the Car Gods whether or not a vehicle will be reliable in the end.
    Funny you mention that. There were lots of 2020 Escape Titaniums on the market in February & March. Turns out most were rentals. I heard Hertz went bankrupt and their fleet flooded auctions, driving prices down. Well, with vaccines being rolled out the economy is picking up and those Titaniums started moving off the dealer lots. The dealers wouldn't negotiate on prices and even raised their prices. A few good Escape Titaniums got away. Those who hesitate... or some similar saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If I was in the market for a small to mid-size SUV, I wouldn't rule out Ford. Ford vehicles do have good tow ratings, & I find that very appealing. Even the small 4-cylinder/AWD Ecosport is rated to tow 2,000 pounds. Most small SUVs in that category aren't recommended for towing. The fact that some Escapes are rated up to 3,500 pounds is also quite good.

I have no personal experience with the current Ford SUV models. Thus, I am not going to speculate on them that much. You see a lot of them around. People are buying them. Ford is devoted to their SUV/truck line up now.

I know the 6-speed automatic is a proven transmission, but the transmissions used in the Focus & Fiesta are junk. I do have experience driving those. Thankfully, those transmissions don't apply to the EcoSport or Escape.

I use my 2011 Forester manual (2,500 rating) for towing all the time. In the past week, I've done two loads/trips of crushed gravel, and two loads of pea gravel. It only takes one full yard of gravel to fill my small 4'x8' trailer (tires are squatting some). I put the trailer on my Kawasaki Mule when I get home & take it to the spot I am working on. I like shoveling that stuff off the trailer rather than off the ground. I also picked up a friend's old ATV a few days ago, because it wasn't running. I got that working again & just hauled it back to his place today. I rather have a trailer than a pickup truck. I would cringe watching someone dump gravel into a nice pickup truck. Don't feel that way at all with my rusty old trailer. My trailer has a tilt bed. Don't even need ramps to drive an ATV on to it. I would be lost without my trailer!

If I had to replace my Forester, I would be looking at Toyota, Mazda, & Ford because of transmissions & towing capacity.

Subaru Forester towing capacity dropped from 2,500 pounds (older models with manual or 4-speed auto) to 1,500 pounds (newer models with CVT). I won't be buying a Subaru again.

I like my Mirage, because the 48,000+ miles on it would have been added to my Forester. Since 2017, 90% of my mileage has been with my Mirage. There are days when I really need my Forester, however. My Mirage & Forester compliment themselves nicely. I am sure your Mirage & a Ford Escape would do likewise!

Shopping for vehicles can be fun! Paying for them not so much!
    I had a small 4'x8' flatbed trailer exactly for what you are describing. I hadn't used it in years so I sold it off. It was nothing special and easily replaced at a nearby Tractor Supply. I'm sure the guy who bought it appreciates the deal he got. There was simply no room for it here. But having a little utility trailer sure comes in handy.

And shopping stinks!! Can you believe the prices on cars these days?? Ick. And Mark would you believe I couldn't find one without a radio or with hand-crank windows? Haha.

All good insights. That's what I like so much about this forum - all the helpful folks here.