Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Ford Escape?

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Took the Escape on a quick camping trip this weekend to Punderson State Park, not far from MirageRally's neck of the woods. It towed fine and it got over 30mpg for the short trip on backroads towing our little travel trailer. This is exactly what we were aiming for.

The WeatherTech floor liners I ordered were on the doorstep when we got back. The interior was cleared of camping gear and debris, the floor thoroughly vacummed, the mats removed and the WeatherTechs plopped in. They worked great for Speck and I'm sure they'll work great for the Escape.

The Escape does have a donut spare tire. It was a little low on air so I put some in. It is small in width but it's the largest diameter spare tire I've seen - I suspect this is due to the AWD drivetrain. Again, thanks for the reminder.
    Holy ****! 30mpg towing a trailer? Can't complain about that! That's slightly more efficient than my current setup.
    I got 9.1mpg in my truck on Thursday(hand calculated). But that was 18,000lbs combined. 8000lb trailer and 10,000lb truck against a headwind. Still horrible.
    Have you ever seen those tesla satellites before? We had one go right over our camp on Saturday night. Didn't know wtf it was and had to wait til sunday after noon til we got back to civilization so we could google it. Looked like a giant led light bar flying across the sky.

Last edited by Fummins; 05-17-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: squirrel

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Holy ****! 30mpg towing a trailer? Can't complain about that! That's slightly more efficient than my current setup.
    I got 9.1mpg in my truck on Thursday(hand calculated). But that was 18,000lbs combined. 8000lb trailer and 10,000lb truck against a headwind. Still horrible.
    I think we have a different setup than you - we're towing a little 2009 A-Liner Scout. It's got a 12'x6' box, 15' overall, weighs under 1,100lbs - add maybe another 200lbs for our gear. No water or sewage lines or tanks, no heater - real simple. Better than sleeping on the ground type stuff. Anyway this was just for one night and maybe we'll get to go on bigger, longer trips once we get things figured out.

Would like to install a brake controller one of these days. I already have a Tekonsha controller - bought it for my Jeep but would like to get it going on the Escape too in the sense that every little bit helps even with such a lightweight trailer.

Travel trailer prices these days are Nuts with a capital N. Holy smokes - everyone wants to get away from it all with others who want to get away from everyone else. It's hilarious.

Is it true all campers leak? This one's nice and all but I don't want to deal with a leak but there it is - suspicious stains in one little corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Have you ever seen those tesla satellites before? We had one go right over our camp on Saturday night. Didn't know wtf it was and had to wait til sunday after noon til we got back to civilization so we could google it. Looked like a giant led light bar flying across the sky.
    I saw the International Space Station once but not one of those. Unless you meant one of these: Tesla Satellite

Again, I'll need to build up to a nice long trip one of these days and get away from all this light pollution to see a real starfield again. Like being out on the open ocean - there's nothing like it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (05-18-2021),MirageRally (05-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I think we have a different setup than you - we're towing a little 2009 A-Liner Scout. It's got a 12'x6' box, 15' overall, weighs under 1,100lbs - add maybe another 200lbs for our gear. No water or sewage lines or tanks, no heater - real simple. Better than sleeping on the ground type stuff. Anyway this was just for one night and maybe we'll get to go on bigger, longer trips once we get things figured out.

Would like to install a brake controller one of these days. I already have a Tekonsha controller - bought it for my Jeep but would like to get it going on the Escape too in the sense that every little bit helps even with such a lightweight trailer.

Travel trailer prices these days are Nuts with a capital N. Holy smokes - everyone wants to get away from it all with others who want to get away from everyone else. It's hilarious.

Is it true all campers leak? This one's nice and all but I don't want to deal with a leak but there it is - suspicious stains in one little corner.

I saw the International Space Station once but not one of those. Unless you meant one of these: Tesla Satellite

Again, I'll need to build up to a nice long trip one of these days and get away from all this light pollution to see a real starfield again. Like being out on the open ocean - there's nothing like it.
    That's not a bad trailer! I was expecting one of those pod things that you gotta crawl into. All trailers will eventually leak if not maintained, usually roof seams or around the vents leaked on mine. My parents old motorhome had leaks around the windows when the butyl rubber seal stuff dried up.

I was gonna buy a quad trailer for the wife to tow around with her sorento. I found some pretty easy to install brake controllers, no more running wires to the back of the vehicle.

And no, not that satellite but neat, I haven't seen that one before. I meant like this: Attachment 21211

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)