Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio problems

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Radio problems

Got in my car and the radio wouldn't turn on, My radio fuse is not working (tested it and no voltage, and yet the ecu fuse is good) so l tried pulling it out of the yellow cradle but can't get it out for the life of me....l have another fuse to plug in but can't get the old one out...does anyone know how to get the fuse out?

Last edited by MirageRally; 05-02-2021 at 02:00 PM.
    Interests: Rallying/Drifting/Cars/Motorcycles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    Got in my car and the radio wouldn't turn on, My radio fuse is not working (tested it and no voltage, and yet the ecu fuse is good) so l tried pulling it out of the yellow cradle but can't get it out for the life of me....l have another fuse to plug in but can't get the old one out...does anyone know how to get the fuse out?
    First make sure the fuse is fully seated. It's not uncommon for radio problems to be traced back to a loose fuse. That yellow fuse frame is supposed to be pulled out for overseas transport - sometimes they weren't fully seated, leading to radio problems just like you describe.

How's things?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just checked and frame is fully seated, pushed fuse in and still nothing....so wait the yellow frame.....was it supposed to be pulled out before it left the factory?...or no?

Otherwise things are good. Going for my motorcycle temps next week then my full license, has been my dream since HS to get my motorcycle license....even more than going to England.

How about you? How are you doing?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just checked and frame is fully seated, pushed fuse in and still nothing....
    So if we may go through some basic troubleshooting - you have a voltmeter which is nice (not sure if you have a multimeter, but most are.) First make sure it works by testing it on your battery. I don't trust electrical meters and stick to high-quality Fluke meters, but that's just me. Don't want to get electrocuted because a cheap meter malfunctioned haha. Ok with that out of the way there's several ways to check a fuse:
    1. With the ignition either ON or ACC check across both sides of the fuse for voltage. No voltage indicates a good fuse. Voltage across the two sides (terminals) indicates a blown fuse.
    2. With the ignition either ON or ACC check both sides of the fuse to ground with your meter. Voltage to ground on both sides (terminals) indicates a good fuse. Voltage on one side when measured to ground but not both sides indicates a blown fuse.
    3. Take the fuse out and do a visual check if the fusible element is intact. Measure with your ohmmeter if needed.
    4. With the fuse out place your ammeter in it's place and see if there's any current flowing through the circuit.

Of course all checks above require the radio circuit be powered except for #3. And checking the fuse in the fusebox can be tricky - it only works if the fuse has access holes to the terminals. Of course you can pull the fuse out and check for voltage in the fusebox terminals - one or the other should have power - check with your voltmeter to ground.

so wait the yellow frame.....was it supposed to be pulled out before it left the factory?...or no?
    Yeah, it was supposed to pulled out before shipment. There's some posts where radio problems were resolved by seating the fuse.

Otherwise things are good. Going for my motorcycle temps next week then my full license, has been my dream since HS to get my motorcycle license....even more than going to England.
    I used to ride - still have my motorcycle endorsement. I sold it because I was going to kill myself riding it (a form of suicide.) Be careful - the power is intoxicating. I think I got my motorcycle at about your age. Seems to be a young man's dream?

So why get a motorcycle? Riding season is limited around these parts. I got mine for fuel economy. I think my Mirage has it beat. Plus the Mirage is light years safer.

How about you? How are you doing?
    All's well here, thankfully. Been putting in lots of OT as it's available. It's nice watching the savings grow. The stock market isn't too shabby either - good for retirement savings. Now that the weather is breaking I'll be spending time doing other stuff.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Checked all above but again, l can't get the yellow cradle out to check the fuse....will call Sunnyside to have them take it out.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have tried to get the yellow fuse container out as it looks like it just unclips in the back, but have been unable to get it out as the radio fuse will not come out without me taking that apart first as it locks the fuse in there.

Also I found one of the bikes that I'm looking at a Yamaha MT-03 as it has the same seat height as a Honda Grom and I fit that perfectly. Going to be fun riding a motorcycle

Thanks Eggman, l got it after finangaling my screwdriver around. Thanks for taking the pictures
    Last edited by MirageRally; 05-02-2021 at 08:45 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MirageRally For This Useful Post:

Eggman (05-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey folks.

It's difficult to remove but with a little patience it's possible. I managed to get my yellow fuse frame out and wanted to share the pictures.

The best picture I could get of the yellow fuse frame detail was too close for my camera to focus on:

There's little clips on either side (not top or bottom) that need to be dealt with. I used a thin screwdriver to pry the yellow frame away from the fusebox claws. It was difficult due to the location. The proper tool would surely make this job a lot easier.

Here's what the assembly looks like on a kitchen table:

I had to pry here:

and here:

Once I had those cleared of the fusebox claws the yellow frame slipped right out.

Next I wondered if I could reinsert those fuses without the yellow frame... Using a Sherwin Williams paint can opener I had in my toolbox I was able to spread apart the little fuse frame claws that hold the two fuses in place:

and was able to remove both fuses rather easily.

The design of the yellow fuse frame is clever - once the fuses are inserted and the fuse frame is properly inserted into the fusebox, the fuses cannot slip out of place of the frame. Plastic panels that the fusebox claws are attached to keep the fuse frame claws from splaying out, holding the fuses secure in the frame. This appears to make it impossible to remove the fuses from the yellow fuse frame while it is installed inside the fuse box. Meaning, the yellow fuse frame must be removed from the fuse box in order to remove the fuses, even for replacement.

The fuse bodies are translucent making it easy to tell if the fuse is intact or blown, which is nice.

Fuses installed sans yellow frame:

Now I can see how much I chewed up the little fusebox claws.

Photo album can be found here: Fuses & wiring

Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Eggman; 05-02-2021 at 09:44 PM. Reason: Moved post and updated phrasing.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Mark (05-02-2021),MirageRally (05-02-2021),ThunderG (05-03-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I have tried to get the yellow fuse container out as it looks like it just unclips in the back, but have been unable to get it out as the radio fuse will not come out without me taking that apart first as it locks the fuse in there.

Also I found one of the bikes that I'm looking at a Yamaha MT-03 as it has the same seat height as a Honda Grom and I fit that perfectly. Going to be fun riding a motorcycle
    Good luck with getting your motorcycle temps & license. I got my first motorcycle when I was 16. My parents were dead set against it. I planted pickles for three summer & sold them to a local pickle factory to pay for my first motorcycle. My parents caved, because I worked pretty hard to come up with the money. I bought a used 1977 Yamaha XS400 with 400 miles on it for $700. I had so much fun with that bike! I found motorcycles to be chick magnets in high school. I was also much younger & better looking back in the late 1970's.

I sold that motorcycle 4-5 year later for $700. It was simple 2-cylinder bike. No battery/electric start. You became good at kick starting. I didn't own a car until my junior year of college, & that's when I sold my motorcycle.

I went a long stretch without one, but I bought an old 1981 Suzuki GS550T in 2004. I used that bike for about 12 years. I paid $900 for it, & I sold it 12 years later for $900. That was a great bike for tooling around the countryside in my area.

In 2016, I bought a 2009 Kawasaki Versys 650. It was my first fuel injected motorcycle, & it has some decent power for its size. The Versys has a slightly modified Ninja engine it. It was a very nice machine. I sold my Versys about a year after buying my Mirage. I miss it at times. None of my friends are into motorcycles. If I had someone to ride with I may have kept it. I have to many other things (ATVs, UTV, riding lawnmowers, compact diesel tractor, etc....) to take care of. I just decided to let go of my motorcycle. Where I live, I was always fearful of hitting a deer with one. I think that may have been my number one reason for selling it actually.

Motorcycles are fun, but you do need to be careful on them. I watched a guy rear end a Chevy Nova with one many years ago. He flew over the top of the car and his body slid about 50 yards down the highway. He was wearing a big heavy army jacket and a full face helmet. He got up and walked away from that. I can still visualize his head/face scraping against the pavement. I never drove without a full face helmet after that day. I stopped to pick his bike off the highway, but I couldn't move it. The front forks were bent, and the front wheel was shoved into the motor. I later learn he was test driving the bike from the local Honda dealer.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (05-02-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Eggman, l got it after finangaling my screwdriver around. Thanks for taking the pictures
    That's good news. So how are the fuses? Hope they are ok.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Seen many of my friends and family members in accidents...one kid in HS died bc he was doing crazy tricks....l've also seen some where the crash was unavoidable and the most important part is safety.....l will wear a full face shield, full leather bodysuit, and motorcycle body armor as l'm not taking any chances....as for bikes being chick magnets haha l don't need that....if l find a girl that has her own bike....well....then l might cave....lol.